Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Product Key code for Wondows XP CD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:24:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have crashed my computer. To re install, I need the product code for my XP
CD disk, and I cannot locate this. I don't know who manufactured my compute
(custom built) and Microsft ca't seem to help me. Any ideas on how to help me?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 1:55:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

If your computer is still operational:

Retrieve your Windows XP CD key
http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

If your computer is not operational:

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"scb" wrote:

| I have crashed my computer. To re install, I need the product code for my XP
| CD disk, and I cannot locate this. I don't know who manufactured my compute
| (custom built) and Microsft ca't seem to help me. Any ideas on how to help me?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:44:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

scb wrote:
> I have crashed my computer. To re install, I need the product code
> for my XP CD disk, and I cannot locate this. I don't know who
> manufactured my compute (custom built) and Microsft ca't seem to
> help
> me. Any ideas on how to help me?


The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having
both at once. - RAH
Related resources
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:03:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I tried this link and it does not work. The key given comes up invalid. It
can not really find your product key code because your actual key it is
encrypted on your computer. Unfortuanetly you will have to purchase from
Microsoft. Good Luck!:-)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> If your computer is still operational:
>
> Retrieve your Windows XP CD key
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm
>
> [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
>
> If your computer is not operational:
>
> How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "scb" wrote:
>
> | I have crashed my computer. To re install, I need the product code for my XP
> | CD disk, and I cannot locate this. I don't know who manufactured my compute
> | (custom built) and Microsft ca't seem to help me. Any ideas on how to help me?
>
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:24:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"computergal" <computergal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7E4BEE4D-F719-43BF-960F-A5483DDCC9B1@microsoft.com...
> I tried this link and it does not work. The key given comes up invalid.
It
> can not really find your product key code because your actual key it is
> encrypted on your computer.

These utilities do in fact work. The encryption isn't very strong. (also,
be careful on things like mistaking 1's for I's, A's for R's, and 8's for
Bs).

*However*, if you use the detected key with another form of install CD
(say, an OEM key with upgrade install or retail CD) the key will indeed be
invalid. You need to use the correct key- media pair.

One thing you may be able to do is locate the \i386 folder, and burn its
complete contents to CD. Use a boot diskette (with Smartdrv.exe and CD
drivers), go to the \i386 folder on teh CD and run "winnt.exe". This is
almost guaranteed to be the correct file set and installer version.

HTH
-pk


> Unfortuanetly you will have to purchase from
> Microsoft. Good Luck!:-)
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > If your computer is still operational:
> >
> > Retrieve your Windows XP CD key
> > http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm
> >
> > [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
> >
> > If your computer is not operational:
> >
> > How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> >
> > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> >
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
> >
> > "scb" wrote:
> >
> > | I have crashed my computer. To re install, I need the product code for
my XP
> > | CD disk, and I cannot locate this. I don't know who manufactured my
compute
> > | (custom built) and Microsft ca't seem to help me. Any ideas on how to
help me?
> >
!