invalid boot.ini file

I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
and then it boots up and i have no problems.

I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
what do i do?

Janice F. Jorgensen
8 answers Last reply
More about invalid boot file

    Hard to say without seeing the text of boot.ini Probably missing the
    'default=' line though.

    Look for it in the root of the system partition (first primary active
    partition)

    Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
    and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
    files" to locate the files in the system partition.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    |I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
    | and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
    | and then it boots up and i have no problems.
    |
    | I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
    | what do i do?
    |

    | Janice F. Jorgensen

    Here is what it says.

    [boot loader]

    timeout=30

    [operating systems]

    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect

    janice

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    |I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
    | and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
    | and then it boots up and i have no problems.
    |
    | I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
    | what do i do?
    |

    | Janice F. Jorgensen

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    It looks fine other than the line spacing. Windows installed on the first
    partition of drive0

    --

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    | Here is what it says.
    |
    | [boot loader]
    |
    | timeout=30
    |
    | default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    |
    | [operating systems]
    |
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    | Professional" /fastdetect
    |

    | janice
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Janice,

    As long as you're booting into the default path (in this case \WINNT) you
    don't even need a Boot.Ini file unless you have various switches you are
    adding to it.

    What I'd do it make a print out of what you have now, delete Boot.Ini off
    your disk*, then use Notepad to create one. As was pointed out, watch the
    spacing. Then reboot.

    ----------
    * It may be read only, which you will have to de-select.

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:

    > I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
    > and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
    > and then it boots up and i have no problems.
    >
    > I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
    > what do i do?
    >

    > Janice F. Jorgensen

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    I still get the error.
    I can do what you describe and copy it but what kind of file do i save it
    as?

    I am trying to upgrade to winxp and i am totally stuck due to this error..

    Is the spacing fine in what i submitted? i just copied it.

    thanks
    Janice

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:

    > I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
    > and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
    > and then it boots up and i have no problems.
    >
    > I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
    > what do i do?
    >

    > Janice F. Jorgensen

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    You might try a boot floppy. To start the operating system try creating a
    boot floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot
    Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette
    (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a OS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets
    written to the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it;

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"

    --

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    |I still get the error.
    | I can do what you describe and copy it but what kind of file do i save it
    | as?
    |
    | I am trying to upgrade to winxp and i am totally stuck due to this error..
    |
    | Is the spacing fine in what i submitted? i just copied it.
    |
    | thanks
    | Janice
    |
    | "GLT" <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Janice,
    |
    | As long as you're booting into the default path (in this case \WINNT) you
    | don't even need a Boot.Ini file unless you have various switches you are
    | adding to it.
    |
    | What I'd do it make a print out of what you have now, delete Boot.Ini off
    | your disk*, then use Notepad to create one. As was pointed out, watch the
    | spacing. Then reboot.
    |
    | ----------
    | * It may be read only, which you will have to de-select.
    |
    | "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    |
    | > I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
    | > and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
    | > and then it boots up and i have no problems.
    | >
    | > I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
    | > what do i do?
    | >

    | > Janice F. Jorgensen

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Solved it.
    I just copied the boot.ini to a new one and saved it and renamed the old
    one..and voila!!!!

    thanks for the help

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    |I still get the error.
    | I can do what you describe and copy it but what kind of file do i save it
    | as?
    |
    | I am trying to upgrade to winxp and i am totally stuck due to this error..
    |
    | Is the spacing fine in what i submitted? i just copied it.
    |
    | thanks
    | Janice
    |
    | "GLT" <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Janice,
    |
    | As long as you're booting into the default path (in this case \WINNT) you
    | don't even need a Boot.Ini file unless you have various switches you are
    | adding to it.
    |
    | What I'd do it make a print out of what you have now, delete Boot.Ini off
    | your disk*, then use Notepad to create one. As was pointed out, watch the
    | spacing. Then reboot.
    |
    | ----------
    | * It may be read only, which you will have to de-select.
    |
    | "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    |
    | > I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
    | > and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
    | > and then it boots up and i have no problems.
    | >
    | > I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
    | > what do i do?
    | >

    | > Janice F. Jorgensen

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Yepper. Glad to hear it worked.

    --

    "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
    | Solved it.
    | I just copied the boot.ini to a new one and saved it and renamed the old
    | one..and voila!!!!
    |
    | thanks for the help
    | Janice

File System Boot Microsoft Windows