invalid boot.ini file

I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
and then it boots up and i have no problems.

I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
what do i do?

Janice F. Jorgensen

Hard to say without seeing the text of boot.ini Probably missing the
'default=' line though.

Look for it in the root of the system partition (first primary active
partition)

Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
files" to locate the files in the system partition.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
|I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
| and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
| and then it boots up and i have no problems.
|
| I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
| what do i do?
|

| Janice F. Jorgensen

Here is what it says.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

janice

"Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
|I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
| and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
| and then it boots up and i have no problems.
|
| I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
| what do i do?
|

| Janice F. Jorgensen

It looks fine other than the line spacing. Windows installed on the first
partition of drive0

--

"Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
| Here is what it says.
|
| [boot loader]
|
| timeout=30
|
| default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
|
| [operating systems]
|
| multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
| Professional" /fastdetect
|

| janice

Janice,

As long as you're booting into the default path (in this case \WINNT) you
don't even need a Boot.Ini file unless you have various switches you are
adding to it.

What I'd do it make a print out of what you have now, delete Boot.Ini off
your disk*, then use Notepad to create one. As was pointed out, watch the
spacing. Then reboot.

----------
* It may be read only, which you will have to de-select.

"Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:

> I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
> and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
> and then it boots up and i have no problems.
>
> I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
> what do i do?
>

> Janice F. Jorgensen

I still get the error.
I can do what you describe and copy it but what kind of file do i save it
as?

I am trying to upgrade to winxp and i am totally stuck due to this error..

Is the spacing fine in what i submitted? i just copied it.

thanks
Janice

"Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:

> I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
> and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
> and then it boots up and i have no problems.
>
> I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
> what do i do?
>

> Janice F. Jorgensen

You might try a boot floppy. To start the operating system try creating a
boot floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot
Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette
(on a Windows 2000 machine, not a OS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets
written to the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"

--

"Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
|I still get the error.
| I can do what you describe and copy it but what kind of file do i save it
| as?
|
| I am trying to upgrade to winxp and i am totally stuck due to this error..
|
| Is the spacing fine in what i submitted? i just copied it.
|
| thanks
| Janice
|
| "GLT" <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Janice,
|
| As long as you're booting into the default path (in this case \WINNT) you
| don't even need a Boot.Ini file unless you have various switches you are
| adding to it.
|
| What I'd do it make a print out of what you have now, delete Boot.Ini off
| your disk*, then use Notepad to create one. As was pointed out, watch the
| spacing. Then reboot.
|
| ----------
| * It may be read only, which you will have to de-select.
|
| "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
|
| > I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
| > and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
| > and then it boots up and i have no problems.
| >
| > I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
| > what do i do?
| >

| > Janice F. Jorgensen

Solved it.
I just copied the boot.ini to a new one and saved it and renamed the old
one..and voila!!!!

thanks for the help

"Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
|I still get the error.
| I can do what you describe and copy it but what kind of file do i save it
| as?
|
| I am trying to upgrade to winxp and i am totally stuck due to this error..
|
| Is the spacing fine in what i submitted? i just copied it.
|
| thanks
| Janice
|
| "GLT" <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Janice,
|
| As long as you're booting into the default path (in this case \WINNT) you
| don't even need a Boot.Ini file unless you have various switches you are
| adding to it.
|
| What I'd do it make a print out of what you have now, delete Boot.Ini off
| your disk*, then use Notepad to create one. As was pointed out, watch the
| spacing. Then reboot.

| * It may be read only, which you will have to de-select.
|
| "Janice F. Jorgensen" wrote:
|
| > I keep getting a invalid boot.ini file
| > and then it says it is going to c:\wnnt (I think)
| > and then it boots up and i have no problems.
| >
| > I now want to upgrade to winxp and I cannot because of this problem.
| > what do i do?
| >

| > Janice F. Jorgensen

Yepper. Glad to hear it worked.