Program Files directory read-only

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

For some reason, on a Win2K Pro box, the Program Files directory is set
as Read Only. If I change the permission, close the windows, and
re-check the permission, it is back to RO. What's the solution? None of
my other Win2K boxes exhibits this problem, as far as I know.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

The solution is to leave it alone. Why do you think this is a problem? This happens because of the desktop.ini file there in C:\Program Files which is a hidden file. It is necessary for Web View when you select that folder and get the different view you see there from other selected folders like the one you see in C:\WINNT and C:\WINNT\system32.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:OlpvcfnQFHA.812@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> For some reason, on a Win2K Pro box, the Program Files directory is set
> as Read Only. If I change the permission, close the windows, and
> re-check the permission, it is back to RO. What's the solution? None of
> my other Win2K boxes exhibits this problem, as far as I know.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi, mcp6453.

Check out this KB article:
You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;326549#toc

Yeah, I know it says it's for WinXP and Win2K3, but it should put your mind
at ease about Win2K, too. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA