Data Transfer: Computer Win2000 to Computer WinXP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Is there an easy way to move or copy data from my older computer (Windows
2000 Prof) to my new computer (WinXP)? I'd like to upgrade the old computer
with WinXP, but I'll have to blow away the image in order to upgrade. So,
before I do that, I want to transfer important software and files from the
old computer to the new, then wipe out the image on the old and install
WinXP. I see that WinXP on the new computer uses a File Transfer Wizard, but
that software is not on the old computer. Will it work if I just use FTW on
the new computer to "pull" data and files over? Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about data transfer computer win2000 computer winxp
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Sounds like you already have the connection. You can just copy the data
    files over. The applications will need to be installed using the
    manufacturer's install routine.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Sal B" wrote:
    | Is there an easy way to move or copy data from my older computer (Windows
    | 2000 Prof) to my new computer (WinXP)? I'd like to upgrade the old
    computer
    | with WinXP, but I'll have to blow away the image in order to upgrade. So,
    | before I do that, I want to transfer important software and files from the
    | old computer to the new, then wipe out the image on the old and install
    | WinXP. I see that WinXP on the new computer uses a File Transfer Wizard,
    but
    | that software is not on the old computer. Will it work if I just use FTW
    on
    | the new computer to "pull" data and files over? Thanks!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Thanks Patrick,

    Well, unfortunately, it won't work. Per the File Transfer Wizard (FTW) in
    the WinXP computer, you need to launch FTW on both machines. Since Win2000
    doesn't have FTW loaded (old machine), I'm stuck not being able to use that
    approach. So, my question remains, what is the easiest way to do this data
    transfer between a Win2000 and WinXP computer? I have a serial to serial
    sheilded cable. Is there a way to just tell one computer to COPY or MOVE the
    files via the serial cable? I need to do this transfer of data before
    loading XP on the old machine. I don't have an external hard drive; I do
    have WinZIP; I don't have FTW on the old machine; I do on the new; I'm outta
    breath. Thanks!

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Sounds like you already have the connection. You can just copy the data
    > files over. The applications will need to be installed using the
    > manufacturer's install routine.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Sal B" wrote:
    > | Is there an easy way to move or copy data from my older computer (Windows
    > | 2000 Prof) to my new computer (WinXP)? I'd like to upgrade the old
    > computer
    > | with WinXP, but I'll have to blow away the image in order to upgrade. So,
    > | before I do that, I want to transfer important software and files from the
    > | old computer to the new, then wipe out the image on the old and install
    > | WinXP. I see that WinXP on the new computer uses a File Transfer Wizard,
    > but
    > | that software is not on the old computer. Will it work if I just use FTW
    > on
    > | the new computer to "pull" data and files over? Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Then you'll need to burn them to CD-Rom or use some other backup media since
    it appears the destination does not now exist.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Sal B" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave,
    |
    | Well, unfortunately, it won't work. Per the File Transfer Wizard (FTW) in
    | the WinXP computer, you need to launch FTW on both machines. Since Win2000
    | doesn't have FTW loaded (old machine), I'm stuck not being able to use
    that
    | approach. So, my question remains, what is the easiest way to do this data
    | transfer between a Win2000 and WinXP computer? I have a serial to serial
    | sheilded cable. Is there a way to just tell one computer to COPY or MOVE
    the
    | files via the serial cable? I need to do this transfer of data before
    | loading XP on the old machine. I don't have an external hard drive; I do
    | have WinZIP; I don't have FTW on the old machine; I do on the new; I'm
    outta
    | breath. Thanks!
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Well, I determined that the old computer can use the new XP installation disk
    to run File & Transfer Wizard. I just needed to load the new disk into the
    old computer and select the Perform Additional Tasks, then Transfer Files and
    settings option when prompted by the disk. Now I'm just waiting for both
    computers to recognize each other via the serial cable connected to the two.
    I'll keep you posted.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Then you'll need to burn them to CD-Rom or use some other backup media since
    > it appears the destination does not now exist.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Sal B" wrote:
    > | Thanks Dave,
    > |
    > | Well, unfortunately, it won't work. Per the File Transfer Wizard (FTW) in
    > | the WinXP computer, you need to launch FTW on both machines. Since Win2000
    > | doesn't have FTW loaded (old machine), I'm stuck not being able to use
    > that
    > | approach. So, my question remains, what is the easiest way to do this data
    > | transfer between a Win2000 and WinXP computer? I have a serial to serial
    > | sheilded cable. Is there a way to just tell one computer to COPY or MOVE
    > the
    > | files via the serial cable? I need to do this transfer of data before
    > | loading XP on the old machine. I don't have an external hard drive; I do
    > | have WinZIP; I don't have FTW on the old machine; I do on the new; I'm
    > outta
    > | breath. Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    OK, I misunderstood. I thought you had yet to install an operating system on
    the destination pc.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Sal B" wrote:
    | Well, I determined that the old computer can use the new XP installation
    disk
    | to run File & Transfer Wizard. I just needed to load the new disk into the
    | old computer and select the Perform Additional Tasks, then Transfer Files
    and
    | settings option when prompted by the disk. Now I'm just waiting for both
    | computers to recognize each other via the serial cable connected to the
    two.
    | I'll keep you posted.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Dave,

    Well all my efforts have failed so I'm bagging the whole idea and will live
    with a PC that has Win2000 and another that has XP. No biggy at this point
    since it's a nightmare trying to simply transfer data between PCs.

    Thanks again. This session is over.

    Sal

    "Sal B" wrote:

    > Well, I determined that the old computer can use the new XP installation disk
    > to run File & Transfer Wizard. I just needed to load the new disk into the
    > old computer and select the Perform Additional Tasks, then Transfer Files and
    > settings option when prompted by the disk. Now I'm just waiting for both
    > computers to recognize each other via the serial cable connected to the two.
    > I'll keep you posted.
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > Then you'll need to burn them to CD-Rom or use some other backup media since
    > > it appears the destination does not now exist.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "Sal B" wrote:
    > > | Thanks Dave,
    > > |
    > > | Well, unfortunately, it won't work. Per the File Transfer Wizard (FTW) in
    > > | the WinXP computer, you need to launch FTW on both machines. Since Win2000
    > > | doesn't have FTW loaded (old machine), I'm stuck not being able to use
    > > that
    > > | approach. So, my question remains, what is the easiest way to do this data
    > > | transfer between a Win2000 and WinXP computer? I have a serial to serial
    > > | sheilded cable. Is there a way to just tell one computer to COPY or MOVE
    > > the
    > > | files via the serial cable? I need to do this transfer of data before
    > > | loading XP on the old machine. I don't have an external hard drive; I do
    > > | have WinZIP; I don't have FTW on the old machine; I do on the new; I'm
    > > outta
    > > | breath. Thanks!
    > >
    > >
    > >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Slap a $10 NIC in each pc and it will be a piece of cake or just get
    yourself a USB stick.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Sal B" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Well all my efforts have failed so I'm bagging the whole idea and will
    live
    | with a PC that has Win2000 and another that has XP. No biggy at this point
    | since it's a nightmare trying to simply transfer data between PCs.
    |
    | Thanks again. This session is over.
    |
    | Sal
    |
    | "Sal B" wrote:
    |
    | > Well, I determined that the old computer can use the new XP installation
    disk
    | > to run File & Transfer Wizard. I just needed to load the new disk into
    the
    | > old computer and select the Perform Additional Tasks, then Transfer
    Files and
    | > settings option when prompted by the disk. Now I'm just waiting for
    both
    | > computers to recognize each other via the serial cable connected to the
    two.
    | > I'll keep you posted.
    | >
    | > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    | >
    | > > Then you'll need to burn them to CD-Rom or use some other backup media
    since
    | > > it appears the destination does not now exist.
    | > >
    | > > --
    | > > Regards,
    | > >
    | > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    | > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    | > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    | > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    | > >
    | > > "Sal B" wrote:
    | > > | Thanks Dave,
    | > > |
    | > > | Well, unfortunately, it won't work. Per the File Transfer Wizard
    (FTW) in
    | > > | the WinXP computer, you need to launch FTW on both machines. Since
    Win2000
    | > > | doesn't have FTW loaded (old machine), I'm stuck not being able to
    use
    | > > that
    | > > | approach. So, my question remains, what is the easiest way to do
    this data
    | > > | transfer between a Win2000 and WinXP computer? I have a serial to
    serial
    | > > | sheilded cable. Is there a way to just tell one computer to COPY or
    MOVE
    | > > the
    | > > | files via the serial cable? I need to do this transfer of data
    before
    | > > | loading XP on the old machine. I don't have an external hard drive;
    I do
    | > > | have WinZIP; I don't have FTW on the old machine; I do on the new;
    I'm
    | > > outta
    | > > | breath. Thanks!
    | > >
    | > >
    | > >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, Sal.

    Depending on how handy you are with hardware, it might be easy to just
    physically move the old HD into the new computer temporarily.

    Install the old HD into the new case as Primary Slave or as Secondary Master
    or Slave, after making sure all the cables and jumpers (and the BIOS) are
    set right, then boot into WinXP on your new computer. In My Computer, you
    should see one or more new "drives", representing the volumes on the old HD.
    You might want to use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to reassign drive
    letters, but it may not be worth the trouble since this setup is only
    temporary. Then use Xcopy.exe (or Windows Explorer or your favorite other
    copy program) to copy the files from your old HD to the new. When done,
    just reverse the process and put the old HD back into the old computer. (Or
    leave it there, use Disk Management to delete existing partitions and create
    new ones and format them, and keep the old HD as additional storage in your
    new computer.)

    As Dave said, there's not much point in copying application files; the apps
    will need to be installed on the new computer from the original media. And
    you won't copy the operating system, of course. Just copy your data files
    into the desired location(s) on your new HD.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX
    rc@corridor.net
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Sal B" <Sal B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:D1178650-3FB7-4CE9-89C3-D7E47B4F3560@microsoft.com...
    > Is there an easy way to move or copy data from my older computer (Windows
    > 2000 Prof) to my new computer (WinXP)? I'd like to upgrade the old
    > computer
    > with WinXP, but I'll have to blow away the image in order to upgrade. So,
    > before I do that, I want to transfer important software and files from the
    > old computer to the new, then wipe out the image on the old and install
    > WinXP. I see that WinXP on the new computer uses a File Transfer Wizard,
    > but
    > that software is not on the old computer. Will it work if I just use FTW
    > on
    > the new computer to "pull" data and files over? Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

File System Computers Microsoft Software Windows