Feeling very stoopit...Myst IV demo ? (answer will have sp..

Last response: in Video Games
September 30, 2004 2:14:05 AM

All right, I must be the dumbest player on the planet. I understand what
the puzzle IS for the demo, I've got the lamp on, and I know what I have
to do, and even how to turn certain squares on and off, but after
several hours and probably hundreds of tries, I *cannot* get the board
lit up correctly. I always have one orphaned light or one extra square
without a light....

Someone on one of the forums said you can do it in 5 clicks. Heck, I'd
be happy to do it in 2,005 clicks!

Since I don't have my real game yet (waiting, waiting for EB to get it
in) I'd like to finish the darn demo sometime in the next century!

Any help appreciated as to the order in which you press things to get
the desired result.
September 30, 2004 12:40:25 PM

"Robin Nuttall" <robinjn@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> All right, I must be the dumbest player on the planet. I understand what
> the puzzle IS for the demo, I've got the lamp on, and I know what I have
> to do, and even how to turn certain squares on and off, but after
> several hours and probably hundreds of tries, I *cannot* get the board
> lit up correctly. I always have one orphaned light or one extra square
> without a light....
>
> Someone on one of the forums said you can do it in 5 clicks. Heck, I'd
> be happy to do it in 2,005 clicks!
>
> Since I don't have my real game yet (waiting, waiting for EB to get it
> in) I'd like to finish the darn demo sometime in the next century!
>
> Any help appreciated as to the order in which you press things to get
> the desired result.

This is a complete answer (i.e there are variations) but be warned that
there is very little more in
the demo.
Nick.
TOTAL SPOILER BELOW

There are 8 buttons in 6 rows
Press in the order shown
Do not press any button marked o
If you need to reset close the panel and open again.
o o o o o o o o
o 7 o o o o o o
o o o o o 3 o o
o o 5 4 o o o o
6 o o o o o o 2
o o o o o 1 o o
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:48:13 PM

Nick wrote:

> This is a complete answer (i.e there are variations) but be warned that
> there is very little more in
> the demo.
> Nick.
> TOTAL SPOILER BELOW

<Snipped spoiler>

--thanks! Doesn't bode for a very successful game for me eh. I've never
been terribly good at puzzles so why I love the Myst series so much is
beyond me, but I do. I did get almost all of them in Myst III without help.

And I knew there wouldn't be much more to the demo, but not being able
to solve it was making me nuts.
September 30, 2004 8:00:50 PM

> Nick wrote:
>
> > This is a complete answer (i.e there are variations) but be warned that
> > there is very little more in
> > the demo.
> > Nick.
> > TOTAL SPOILER BELOW
>
> <Snipped spoiler>
>
> --thanks! Doesn't bode for a very successful game for me eh. I've never
> been terribly good at puzzles so why I love the Myst series so much is
> beyond me, but I do. I did get almost all of them in Myst III without
help.

> And I knew there wouldn't be much more to the demo, but not being able
> to solve it was making me nuts.

IMHO this particular puzzle is rather out of character for the Myst series.
I hope that there aren't too many more like it in Myst IV.
Nick.

..
Nick.
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 1:09:23 AM

"Nick" <no_bother@all> wrote in message

"Robin Nuttall" <robinjn@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> Nick wrote:
>
> > This is a complete answer (i.e there are variations) but be warned that
> > there is very little more in
> > the demo.
> > Nick.
> > TOTAL SPOILER BELOW
>
> <Snipped spoiler>
>
> --thanks! Doesn't bode for a very successful game for me eh. I've never
> been terribly good at puzzles so why I love the Myst series so much is
> beyond me, but I do. I did get almost all of them in Myst III without
help.

> And I knew there wouldn't be much more to the demo, but not being able
> to solve it was making me nuts.

IMHO this particular puzzle is rather out of character for the Myst series.
I hope that there aren't too many more like it in Myst IV.
Nick.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you not play Myst, the first one? There was a puzzle almost exactly
like this one... the fireplace puzzle to get to Atrus at the end. In that,
you had to determine which was the correct pattern from over 200 in a
book... why is this pushing panels on a fireplace "out of character"? It's
actually meant to be an homage to Original Myst.

~ Kha'tie
: )
October 1, 2004 5:42:03 PM

"Katie Postma" <nospampleaseKatiePostma@Rogers.com> wrote in message

> "Nick" <no_bother@all> wrote in message
>
> "Robin Nuttall" <robinjn@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Nick wrote:
> >
> > > This is a complete answer (i.e there are variations) but be warned
that
> > > there is very little more in
> > > the demo.
> > > Nick.
> > > TOTAL SPOILER BELOW
> >
> > <Snipped spoiler>
> >
> > --thanks! Doesn't bode for a very successful game for me eh. I've never
> > been terribly good at puzzles so why I love the Myst series so much is
> > beyond me, but I do. I did get almost all of them in Myst III without
> help.
> >
> > And I knew there wouldn't be much more to the demo, but not being able
> > to solve it was making me nuts.
> >
> IMHO this particular puzzle is rather out of character for the Myst
series.
> I hope that there aren't too many more like it in Myst IV.
> Nick.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Did you not play Myst, the first one? There was a puzzle almost exactly
> like this one... the fireplace puzzle to get to Atrus at the end. In
that,
> you had to determine which was the correct pattern from over 200 in a
> book... why is this pushing panels on a fireplace "out of character"?
It's
> actually meant to be an homage to Original Myst.
>
> ~ Kha'tie
> : )

I played the original Myst and can see the similarity, but the Myst IV
puzzle has this added feature of interaction between adjacent buttons which
makes it difficult to set up a pattern even if you know what you're aiming
for. It reminded me of some of the puzzles in the two Schizms.
It's a long time ago that I played it, but wasn't there a straight clue to
the correct pattern in the Myst I fireplace puzzle? I don't remember
resorting to trial and error.
Anyway, I'm sure that Revelation is going to be great - just checked my
order but it's not been despatched yet :(
Nick.
October 2, 2004 1:35:17 PM

Ladies and Gents, this particular puzzle is nothing original or new. It is a
direct rip-off of an electronic game that came out over 5 years ago called
'Lights Out'.

> "Katie Postma" <nospampleaseKatiePostma@Rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Nick" <no_bother@all> wrote in message
>>
>> "Robin Nuttall" <robinjn@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> that
>> >
>> > <Snipped spoiler>
>> >
>> > --thanks! Doesn't bode for a very successful game for me eh. I've never
>> > been terribly good at puzzles so why I love the Myst series so much is
>> > beyond me, but I do. I did get almost all of them in Myst III without
>> help.
>> >
>> > And I knew there wouldn't be much more to the demo, but not being able
>> > to solve it was making me nuts.
>> >
>> IMHO this particular puzzle is rather out of character for the Myst
> series.
>> I hope that there aren't too many more like it in Myst IV.
>> Nick.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Did you not play Myst, the first one? There was a puzzle almost exactly
>> like this one... the fireplace puzzle to get to Atrus at the end. In
> that,
>> you had to determine which was the correct pattern from over 200 in a
>> book... why is this pushing panels on a fireplace "out of character"?
> It's
>> actually meant to be an homage to Original Myst.
>>
>> ~ Kha'tie
>> : )
>>

> I played the original Myst and can see the similarity, but the Myst IV
> puzzle has this added feature of interaction between adjacent buttons
> which
> makes it difficult to set up a pattern even if you know what you're aiming
> for. It reminded me of some of the puzzles in the two Schizms.
> It's a long time ago that I played it, but wasn't there a straight clue to
> the correct pattern in the Myst I fireplace puzzle? I don't remember
> resorting to trial and error.
> Anyway, I'm sure that Revelation is going to be great - just checked my
> order but it's not been despatched yet :(
> Nick.

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:06:07 AM

In news:ZMA7d.286041$4o.254742@fed1read01,
JLee <jlee1951@[del]hotmail.com> typed:
> Ladies and Gents, this particular puzzle is nothing original or new.
> It is a direct rip-off of an electronic game that came out over 5
> years ago called 'Lights Out'.

JLee,

I'll have to differ with your openion :)

Myst, and the *Fire Place Puzzle Idea*, has been around for ten plus years.

If *Lights Out*, used the same premise five years ago... How can you say,
"It is a direct rip-off"?

Cheers,
Aquila
October 3, 2004 3:42:41 PM

"Robin Nuttall" <robinjn@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> All right, I must be the dumbest player on the planet. I understand what
> the puzzle IS for the demo, I've got the lamp on, and I know what I have
> to do, and even how to turn certain squares on and off, but after
> several hours and probably hundreds of tries, I *cannot* get the board
> lit up correctly. I always have one orphaned light or one extra square
> without a light....
>
> Someone on one of the forums said you can do it in 5 clicks. Heck, I'd
> be happy to do it in 2,005 clicks!
>
> Since I don't have my real game yet (waiting, waiting for EB to get it
> in) I'd like to finish the darn demo sometime in the next century!
>
> Any help appreciated as to the order in which you press things to get
> the desired result.

Nah sorry, i would have to be THE worst player! I understand what I have to
do (I think) but when I turn on the lamps, nothing turns on, like there's no
power going to them. I have turned off the lever near the water plant. I
assume i'm not doing something right at the power box (the thing that looks
like a bread storage container with the roll top).

When i turn on the lamp switches then go into the fireplace and press the
button, nothing happens.

Help requested from THE stupidest player! <------- me!

Cheers
October 3, 2004 11:46:40 PM

Chad <snab@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Nah sorry, i would have to be THE worst player! I understand what I have to
> do (I think) but when I turn on the lamps, nothing turns on, like there's no
> power going to them. I have turned off the lever near the water plant. I
> assume i'm not doing something right at the power box (the thing that looks
> like a bread storage container with the roll top).
>
> When i turn on the lamp switches then go into the fireplace and press the
> button, nothing happens.
>
> Help requested from THE stupidest player! <------- me!

spoiler...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

you have to use the powerbox to send power to the waterplant. examine
the symbols at the waterplant that were glowing when you pulled the
lever. you can use those to figure out how to send power to it from the
box.
!