ms-dos printer

How can I be sure that a printer will print in ms-dos ? My ms-dos program
software has HP laserjet II drivers ... but I have not found that all
printers will print it. I am running WindowsXP and considering buying a
Dell or Okidata printer. Is it sufficient to see that the printer's
language is pcl5e? What about pcl6 ?
thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about printer

    > PCL5e printers will definitely print PCL4 (HPII)

    Point of note... lasers typicaly require a form feed to indicate an end
    of job when dealing with dos printing. One can either hit the form
    feed button on the printer or alternativly one could issue the correct
    ctrl-key to the printer using the following syntax

    x:\>echo ^l > prn:
    x:\>echo ^l > lpt1:

    Where ^l = ctrl-L (IIRC this is form feed, but I could be incorrect
    it's been a while). PRN is the printer device, where lpt1: is the
    first parallel port. Only one of those two is required.

    Large dumps of text will continue printing till you reach a point where
    the last page sits in the printers buffer waiting for more data.
    Either hit form feed or issue a form feed.

    ronaries <ronaries10@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > How can I be sure that a printer will print in ms-dos ? My ms-dos program
    > software has HP laserjet II drivers ... but I have not found that all
    > printers will print it. I am running WindowsXP and considering buying a
    > Dell or Okidata printer. Is it sufficient to see that the printer's
    > language is pcl5e? What about pcl6 ?

    PCL5, 5e, and 6 are supersets of PCL, so any printer with them should
    be able to handle the older LaserJet II PCL.

    Seems like there have been some host-based printers that claim to
    support PCL. These printers won't work in DOS.

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:16:36 GMT, "ronaries" <ronaries10@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >How can I be sure that a printer will print in ms-dos ? My ms-dos program
    >software has HP laserjet II drivers ... but I have not found that all
    >printers will print it. I am running WindowsXP and considering buying a
    >Dell or Okidata printer. Is it sufficient to see that the printer's
    >language is pcl5e? What about pcl6 ?
    >thanks

    PCL5e printers will definitely print PCL4 (HPII). I'm not sure about
    PCL6, this is radically different from previous PCLs. But most PCL6
    printers, at least those from HP, also include PCL5.

    See
    <http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=940074>

    You might also do it in software, especially if your app can print to
    PostScript. (Using GhostScript.)

    One thing to consider is whether a USB port is supported by the DOS
    program. You may want to buy a printer that has a parallel port just to
    be safe. (Is there a way to redirect lpt1 to usb?)

    In article <YPLMe.1707$AT7.730@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
    bjpriceNOSPAM@itsa.ucsf.edu says...
    > One thing to consider is whether a USB port is supported by the DOS
    > program. You may want to buy a printer that has a parallel port just to
    > be safe. (Is there a way to redirect lpt1 to usb?)

    If you want a DOS program to print to a printer on a USB port, you
    need to share your printer, then connect to your own share. This
    requires that the 'Server' service is running.

    Type from Start/Run, or make a SHAREIT.BAT text file and put it in
    your startup folder:
    NET USE LPT1 \\yourcomputer\yourshare

    The above won't work if the DOS software tries to directly access the
    parallel ports, which a few did. They will usually fail under NT/2K/XP
    even if you have a parallel port printer.

    There are some programs out there that somehow capture DOS printing
    and can let you use printers that are 'Windows only' (host-based
    printers).

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    "ronaries" <ronaries10@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >How can I be sure that a printer will print in ms-dos ? My ms-dos program
    >software has HP laserjet II drivers ... but I have not found that all
    >printers will print it. I am running WindowsXP and considering buying a
    >Dell or Okidata printer. Is it sufficient to see that the printer's
    >language is pcl5e? What about pcl6 ?
    >thanks

    What printer port options does your DOS app provide?

    If your chosen printer uses USB rather than Parallel for connecting to
    the computer then when you install the printer you have to configure
    it so that it also captures the LPT port that your DOS app will be
    printing to.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
    > In article <YPLMe.1707$AT7.730@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
    > bjpriceNOSPAM@itsa.ucsf.edu says...
    >> One thing to consider is whether a USB port is supported by the DOS
    >> program. You may want to buy a printer that has a parallel port just to
    >> be safe. (Is there a way to redirect lpt1 to usb?)
    >
    > If you want a DOS program to print to a printer on a USB port, you
    > need to share your printer, then connect to your own share. This
    > requires that the 'Server' service is running.
    >
    > Type from Start/Run, or make a SHAREIT.BAT text file and put it in
    > your startup folder:
    > NET USE LPT1 \\yourcomputer\yourshare
    >
    > The above won't work if the DOS software tries to directly access the
    > parallel ports, which a few did. They will usually fail under NT/2K/XP
    > even if you have a parallel port printer.

    There's a basic misunderstanding here. The question was about a printer
    that would work for MS-DOS. What you are describing is for using
    Windows to run an MS-DOS program. But there are still users of MS-DOS
    out there, and the Windows procedures and host-based printers will not
    work for them.

    Actually, the original poster said:
    :How can I be sure that a printer will print in ms-dos ? My ms-dos program
    :software has HP laserjet II drivers ... but I have not found that all
    :printers will print it. I am running WindowsXP

    Which I read as running a DOS app under WinXP. So various workarounds
    for USB ports and Winprinters apply. Though life is simpler if it all
    works under DOS.

    >PCL5, 5e, and 6 are supersets of PCL, so any printer with them should
    >be able to handle the older LaserJet II PCL.

    There is a paucity of information about PCL6 online. But I've seen
    some mentions of compatibility problems with earlier PCL drivers, so I
    wouldn't assume it will work without testing. Should be possible to
    take a copy of the app on a floppy or CD and run it at the shop, or
    print to file and take the .prn file.

Printers MS-DOS Hewlett Packard Peripherals Product