my moderate gaming PC for $500 . please help on parts??

i'm selling my p4 system and building a new computer and only have $500, i have these setup up so far. I was wondering if this is good enough for moderate gaming that i do, i play some games like HL2 and WW3, but very little.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2

DFI INFINITY NF ULTRAII-M2 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra

pqi POWER Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN, RoHS, 12cm FAN, version 2.0, 2 SATA, 20+ 4 pin, PCI Express, 400W Power Supply

POWERCOLOR X800GTO256MBDDR3 Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black
6 answers Last reply
More about moderate gaming parts
  1. Change the graphics card to this BFG GF7600GT ($114 after a $30 MIR). Change the RAM to THIS. The rest looks good; I'm assuming you already have a case and a copy of Windows?
  2. It looks to me like you have a great budget system going there, good choice on a lower midrange card, that thing will still kick some butt, while saving your bank account from being obliterated! I am sure you can get the 3200 to 2.2 - 2.4 ghz on the OEM heatsink and fan. My only recomendation is to make sure you trust your PS to do the job for 400watts... you need to look up the minimum system requirements for your videocard and make sure your atleast 50watts above that just to be sure. If you plan to overclock you might want to go even higher with the wattage.. Either way goodluck on your build buddy!
  3. Don't forget Arctic Silver; the thermal paste that comes with the CPU is crap.
  4. Quote:
    My only recomendation is to make sure you trust your PS to do the job for 400watts... you need to look up the minimum system requirements for your videocard and make sure your atleast 50watts above that just to be sure.

That PS is fine; FSP is a good brand, and it has dual +12V rails. It will run that setup with ease.
  5. thanks for all the help... :D
  6. Make sure you buy a retail boxed CPU and not OEM for the three year warranty.

And unless your case has NO fans and is a hotbox, you'll be more than fine with the stock AMD cooler and the thermal compound it comes with.

Don't have to bother with any arctic silver.

Spend the extra $6 for the 3500+ or the $25 and go for the 3800+ instead of the 3200+.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103631
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product