Refillable Inkjet cartridges for Canon

I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink chamber
and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started oozing
out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad.

Is the a better technique?
23 answers Last reply
More about refillable inkjet cartridges canon

    The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open. Easiest
    way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use them
    with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come with
    the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com

    "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

    >The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open. Easiest
    >way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use them
    >with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come with
    >the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com
    >

    >"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink
    >chamber
    >> and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started
    >oozing
    >> out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad.
    >>
    >> Is the a better technique?

    Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the cartridge in
    the print won't it start dripping there?

    As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
    using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
    You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
    out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
    www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
    online.

    Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
    few minutes.

    DC wrote:

    >I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink chamber
    >and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started oozing
    >out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad.
    >
    >Is the a better technique?

    GLAD TO HEAR YOU MADE A MESS JUST LIKE I SAY. HAPPY CLOGGING

    Dan G wrote:

    >As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
    >using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
    >You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
    >out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
    >dawhores.com have detailed instructions
    >online.
    >
    >Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
    >few minutes.
    >

    >"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open.
    >>>

    >Easiest
    >

    >>>way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use
    >>>

    >them
    >

    >>>with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come
    >>>

    >with
    >

    >>>the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com
    >>>

    >>>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

    >>>chamber

    >>>oozing

    >>Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
    >>

    >cartridge in
    >

    >>the print won't it start dripping there?

    OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.

    "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

    >As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
    >using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
    >You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
    >out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
    >www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
    >online.
    >
    >Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
    >few minutes.
    >

    >"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open.
    >Easiest
    >> >way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use
    >them
    >> >with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come
    >with
    >> >the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com
    >> >

    >> >"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> >chamber
    >> >oozing

    >> Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
    >cartridge in
    >> the print won't it start dripping there?

    DRIPIDEE DOO DADRIPIDEE DAY MY OH MY HAVE A MESSY DAY

    DC wrote:

    >OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.
    >
    >"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
    >

    >>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
    >>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
    >>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
    >>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
    >>dawhores.com have detailed instructions
    >>online.
    >>
    >>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
    >>few minutes.
    >>

    >>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

    >>Easiest

    >>them

    >>with

    >>>Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
    >>>

    >>cartridge in
    >>

    >>>the print won't it start dripping there?

    In addition to refilling instructions available on all the web sites of
    vendors that sell bulk inks for refilling carts, you can get lots of info
    from the following sites:
    http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

    http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

    Although there are a lot of "tips" you would do well to learn from the above
    sites, the basics are 1) seal the cart outlet 2) open the fill hole 3)
    inject ink into the reservoir leaving a few millimeters of space at the top
    4) seal the fill hole 5) open the outlet and let drip till it stops 6) blot
    the outlet against a piece of toweling paper on a flat surface so that the
    paper doesn't touch the outlet sponge 7) replace in the printer after the
    cart no longer drips. Best to use two or more sets of carts so you can
    remove and replace a complete set and then refill the one you took out of
    the printer. That way the print head won't dry out from leaving the cart
    out too long. Be sure to seal the outlet when storing carts that are out
    of the printer. They can be stored in a sealed food storage container. If
    you will be storing them a long time you can also seal the air vent hole,
    but remember to remove that seal when installing the cart into the printer.
    You can also put a damp piece of toweling paper into the food container to
    prevent evaporation and drying of the stored carts.

    I've used MIS inks with good results and no clogs. Others have used
    Hobbicolors or Formulabs bulk inks successfully. As mentioned in another
    answer to your post, do not use universal inks. AND - you will probably see
    this post followed by one from Measekite who has never used anything but
    Canon inks but ALWAYS warns people against using aftermarket inks. He has
    no experience on which to make his claims.

    > OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.
    >
    > "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
    >
    >>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
    >>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
    >>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
    >>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
    >>www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
    >>online.
    >>
    >>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
    >>few minutes.
    >>

    >>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

    >>Easiest
    >>them
    >>with

    >>> Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
    >>cartridge in
    >>> the print won't it start dripping there?

    > I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a
    > clog yet, mind you I've only had it over 3
    > months, not one single print head clean or test
    > required, unlike the Epsons I had

    I'll have to look further into this head cleaning deal. I've been
    informed by others that the printer does do a head cleaning often...
    just not the same volume as epson.

    > As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
    > leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal,
    > sounds like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.

    I totally understand what this person is going through. Basicly the
    ink is held in the tank by a balance between the the inks urge to drip
    out by gravity, a small vacuum that results of this action, and a vent
    that is just large enough to replace air as ink flows out but small
    enough so that it doesn't flow out automaticly. When you make a bigger
    hole the ink will come out. The exit port must be plugged so when you
    fill the displacement doesn't go out the exit port, and so the ink
    doesn't drip out by gravity.

    This is also why when you buy carts OEM or otherwise, that exit port is
    blocked. Prevents drying and prevents dripping which definatly happen
    when they get shaken about in transport. You need a good gasket if you
    refill your self.

    Burt wrote:

    >In addition to refilling instructions available on all the web sites of
    >vendors that sell bulk inks for refilling carts, you can get lots of info
    >from the following sites:
    >http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
    >
    >http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

    da churchman is a moderator spewing his garbage dere as fotofreek

    >Although there are a lot of "tips" you would do well to learn from the above
    >sites, the basics are 1) seal the cart outlet 2) open the fill hole 3)
    >inject ink into the reservoir leaving a few millimeters of space at the top
    >4) seal the fill hole 5) open the outlet and let drip till it stops 6) blot
    >the outlet against a piece of toweling paper on a flat surface so that the
    >paper doesn't touch the outlet sponge 7) replace in the printer after the
    >cart no longer drips. Best to use two or more sets of carts so you can
    >remove and replace a complete set and then refill the one you took out of
    >the printer. That way the print head won't dry out from leaving the cart
    >out too long. Be sure to seal the outlet when storing carts that are out
    >of the printer. They can be stored in a sealed food storage container. If
    >you will be storing them a long time you can also seal the air vent hole,
    >but remember to remove that seal when installing the cart into the printer.
    >You can also put a damp piece of toweling paper into the food container to
    >prevent evaporation and drying of the stored carts.
    >
    >I've used MIS inks with good results and no clogs. Others have used
    >Hobbicolors or Formulabs bulk inks successfully. As mentioned in another
    >answer to your post, do not use universal inks. AND - you will probably see
    >this post followed by one from Measekite who has never used anything but
    >Canon inks but ALWAYS warns people against using aftermarket inks. He has
    >no experience on which to make his claims.
    >

    >" DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.
    >>
    >>"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
    >>>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
    >>>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
    >>>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
    >>>www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
    >>>online.
    >>>
    >>>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
    >>>few minutes.
    >>>

    >>>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Easiest

    >>>them

    >>>with

    >>>cartridge in

    Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
    drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
    way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
    slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
    nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
    compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.

    Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?

    As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
    leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
    like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.

    I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
    only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
    required, unlike the Epsons I had.

    Davy

    > zakezukewrote:

    > I'll have to look further into this head cleaning deal. I've been
    > informed by others that the printer does do a head cleaning
    often...
    > just not the same volume as epson.

    I thought the statement would have been obvious to understand!

    We all know printers go through a cleaning routine - thats normal,
    What I should have said was that "I have not had to do a manual clean
    nor print head test in the three months I have had the printer",
    hoping to clarify the above.

    The Canons ink certainly outlast those of the Epson and guess they
    don't waste as much, with Epson about 20% is left in the tank so is
    claimed and with Canon from memory I think it's 6%....!

    See link-:.

    Davy

    drc023 wrote:

    Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to the biggest idiot
    ever born?
    Sure sounds that way from here.
    Frank

    I think you had a little trouble comprehending what I said. The problem was
    caused by a brand new OEM Canon black cartridge, not from a refilled
    cartridge. A poorly sealed cartridge, new OEM or refilled, that leaks too
    much ink will flood the ink pad and the other colors will be contaminated.
    If there is a single most common problem reported with refilled cartridges
    it is from improper sealing of the refill inlet. As an experienced refiller
    I am fully aware of the steps necessary to avoid a leaking cartridge. In
    fact I used to send out a refilling instruction sheet on request and I had
    many request from readers of this newsgroup. If you will read the original
    post, it clearly stated that black ink contaminated the yellow and magenta
    tanks. The only way for that to happen was for the black ink to leak, or
    should I say have excessive flow. That black ink came from a new Canon ink
    cartridge, not a refill. Do I let cartridges stand for a day or so after
    refilling? That question has absolutely nothing to do with the problem
    described, but the answer is yes. I have multiple sets of cartridges I keep
    in reserve since I rotate each set as soon as a single cartridge requires
    refilling. However, that step isn't necessary, especially if the tanks
    aren't allowed to run dry prior to refilling. All refilling does is add more
    ink to the reservoir. If you want to learn more about refilling, I suggest
    you take a look at www.nifty-stuff.com. Here is a link, with photos, to a
    refilling setup I made.
    http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433. Using the base
    described in that article to store refilled tanks allows me to swap out an
    entire set in only a few seconds.
    --
    Ron

    "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
    > drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
    > way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
    > slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
    > nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
    > compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.
    >
    > Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?
    >
    > As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
    > leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
    > like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.
    >
    > I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
    > only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
    > required, unlike the Epsons I had.
    >
    > Davy

    Actually I don't think he's really is an idiot. I've seen posts from him on
    other newsgroups and for the most part those responses aren't abusive or
    idiotic. That's the real problem with the troll. He does know better. He
    gets on this newsgroup and continually posts intentionally misleading
    garbage and abuse at helpful participants. I don't know why he does it other
    than to mislead those seeking practical advice. I've made it a practice to
    not reply to his postings, but since his comments were directly related to a
    posting of mine, I wasn't going to let his misrepresentations go
    unchallenged. Most users have killfiled him or refuse to respond. Maybe if
    he ever grows up and realizes what nonsense he spouts, his obnoxious
    behavior will improve; We can only hope, however distant that possibility
    may be.
    --
    Ron

    Davy wrote:

    >Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
    >drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
    >way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
    >slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
    >nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
    >compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.
    >
    >Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?

    YEAH YOU REALLY NEED THIS PAIN IN THE ASS.

    >As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
    >leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
    >like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.
    >
    >I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
    >only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
    >required, unlike the Epsons I had.
    >
    >Davy

    I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS CAUSED BY SOMEONE WHO MADE SOME KIND OF A
    MISTAKE THAT HE/SHE HAS NOT AS YET DISCOVERED.

    Frank wrote:

    > drc023 wrote:

    > Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to the biggest idiot
    > ever born?
    > Sure sounds that way from here. It is me Frank

    how do you kill file someone. tired of having to skip his stupid rants.

    Could be that it has to do with him maybe having his own web site!
    www.oem.com at least his email comes as inkstinky@oem.com!!
    I wonder if that could be the reason?
    --
    Regards
    Stick, Oxford, UK

    Stick Stickus wrote:
    > Could be that it has to do with him maybe having his own web site!
    > www.oem.com at least his email comes as inkstinky@oem.com!!
    > I wonder if that could be the reason?

    He's a shill for canon.
    Frank

    davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:

    >Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
    >drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
    >way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
    >slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
    >nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
    >compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.
    >
    >Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?
    >
    >As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
    >leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
    >like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.
    >
    >I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
    >only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
    >required, unlike the Epsons I had.
    >
    >Davy

    (I'm the original poster of this thread)

    The problem was that I did not seal the top hole properly. Now the ip4000 is
    printing away nicely. I even print with photo-cyan and photo-magenta and
    everything is going OK.
    I have to print about 8000 pages of color prints where the quality is not that
    important. Anyway the print looks excellent after 700 pages.
    If the printer breaks down the savings in inks cost have allready paid for it and
    I'll just buy another Canon ip4000.

    I've had a number of other inkjets before and the ip4000 is best so far. Quiet,
    fast and good quality. CD printing is also a big plus. I cost me 120 euros so the
    price was not bad at all.

Printers Inkjet Canon Peripherals Product