Refillable Inkjet cartridges for Canon

DC

I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink chamber
and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started oozing
out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad.

Is the a better technique?

The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open. Easiest
way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use them
with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come with
the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com

"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
> I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink
chamber
> and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started
oozing
> out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad.
>
> Is the a better technique?

DC

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

>The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open. Easiest
>way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use them
>with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come with
>the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com
>

>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
>> I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink
>chamber
>> and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started
>oozing
>> out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad.
>>
>> Is the a better technique?

Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the cartridge in
the print won't it start dripping there?

As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
online.

Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
few minutes.

DC wrote:

>I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink chamber
>and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started oozing
>out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad.
>
>Is the a better technique?

GLAD TO HEAR YOU MADE A MESS JUST LIKE I SAY. HAPPY CLOGGING

Dan G wrote:

>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
>dawhores.com have detailed instructions
>online.
>
>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
>few minutes.
>

>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
>

>>"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open.
>>>

>Easiest
>

>>>way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use
>>>

>them
>

>>>with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come
>>>

>with
>

>>>the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com
>>>

>>>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

>>>chamber

>>>oozing

>>Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
>>

>cartridge in
>

>>the print won't it start dripping there?

DC

OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
>www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
>online.
>
>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
>few minutes.
>

>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
>> "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open.
>Easiest
>> >way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use
>them
>> >with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come
>with
>> >the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com
>> >

>> >"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
>> >chamber
>> >oozing

>> Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
>cartridge in
>> the print won't it start dripping there?

DRIPIDEE DOO DADRIPIDEE DAY MY OH MY HAVE A MESSY DAY

DC wrote:

>OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.
>
>"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>

>>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
>>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
>>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
>>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
>>dawhores.com have detailed instructions
>>online.
>>
>>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
>>few minutes.
>>

>>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

>>Easiest

>>them

>>with

>>>Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
>>>

>>cartridge in
>>

>>>the print won't it start dripping there?

BURT

In addition to refilling instructions available on all the web sites of
vendors that sell bulk inks for refilling carts, you can get lots of info
from the following sites:
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Although there are a lot of "tips" you would do well to learn from the above
sites, the basics are 1) seal the cart outlet 2) open the fill hole 3)
inject ink into the reservoir leaving a few millimeters of space at the top
4) seal the fill hole 5) open the outlet and let drip till it stops 6) blot
the outlet against a piece of toweling paper on a flat surface so that the
paper doesn't touch the outlet sponge 7) replace in the printer after the
cart no longer drips. Best to use two or more sets of carts so you can
remove and replace a complete set and then refill the one you took out of
the printer. That way the print head won't dry out from leaving the cart
out too long. Be sure to seal the outlet when storing carts that are out
of the printer. They can be stored in a sealed food storage container. If
you will be storing them a long time you can also seal the air vent hole,
but remember to remove that seal when installing the cart into the printer.
You can also put a damp piece of toweling paper into the food container to
prevent evaporation and drying of the stored carts.

I've used MIS inks with good results and no clogs. Others have used
Hobbicolors or Formulabs bulk inks successfully. As mentioned in another
answer to your post, do not use universal inks. AND - you will probably see
this post followed by one from Measekite who has never used anything but
Canon inks but ALWAYS warns people against using aftermarket inks. He has
no experience on which to make his claims.

> OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.
>
> "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>
>>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
>>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
>>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
>>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
>>www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
>>online.
>>
>>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
>>few minutes.
>>

>>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

>>Easiest
>>them
>>with

>>> Thank for the reply. That should end dripping but when I place the
>>cartridge in
>>> the print won't it start dripping there?

zakezuke

> I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a
> clog yet, mind you I've only had it over 3
> months, not one single print head clean or test
> required, unlike the Epsons I had

I'll have to look further into this head cleaning deal. I've been
informed by others that the printer does do a head cleaning often...
just not the same volume as epson.

> As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
> leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal,
> sounds like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.

I totally understand what this person is going through. Basicly the
ink is held in the tank by a balance between the the inks urge to drip
out by gravity, a small vacuum that results of this action, and a vent
that is just large enough to replace air as ink flows out but small
enough so that it doesn't flow out automaticly. When you make a bigger
hole the ink will come out. The exit port must be plugged so when you
fill the displacement doesn't go out the exit port, and so the ink
doesn't drip out by gravity.

This is also why when you buy carts OEM or otherwise, that exit port is
blocked. Prevents drying and prevents dripping which definatly happen
when they get shaken about in transport. You need a good gasket if you
refill your self.

Burt wrote:

>In addition to refilling instructions available on all the web sites of
>vendors that sell bulk inks for refilling carts, you can get lots of info
>from the following sites:
>http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
>
>http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

da churchman is a moderator spewing his garbage dere as fotofreek

>Although there are a lot of "tips" you would do well to learn from the above
>sites, the basics are 1) seal the cart outlet 2) open the fill hole 3)
>inject ink into the reservoir leaving a few millimeters of space at the top
>4) seal the fill hole 5) open the outlet and let drip till it stops 6) blot
>the outlet against a piece of toweling paper on a flat surface so that the
>paper doesn't touch the outlet sponge 7) replace in the printer after the
>cart no longer drips. Best to use two or more sets of carts so you can
>remove and replace a complete set and then refill the one you took out of
>the printer. That way the print head won't dry out from leaving the cart
>out too long. Be sure to seal the outlet when storing carts that are out
>of the printer. They can be stored in a sealed food storage container. If
>you will be storing them a long time you can also seal the air vent hole,
>but remember to remove that seal when installing the cart into the printer.
>You can also put a damp piece of toweling paper into the food container to
>prevent evaporation and drying of the stored carts.
>
>I've used MIS inks with good results and no clogs. Others have used
>Hobbicolors or Formulabs bulk inks successfully. As mentioned in another
>answer to your post, do not use universal inks. AND - you will probably see
>this post followed by one from Measekite who has never used anything but
>Canon inks but ALWAYS warns people against using aftermarket inks. He has
>no experience on which to make his claims.
>

>" DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message
>

>>OK. Thank again. Will apply your advice.
>>
>>"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>>

>>>As I said, any decent refill kit should come with instructions. If you're
>>>using some generic refill kit and ink, I suggest you stop.
>>>You need to re-seal the fill hole when you're done so the ink doesn't run
>>>out the bottom. Once in the printer, the tank won't leak.
>>>www.alotofthings.com and www.inkjetsaver.com have detailed instructions
>>>online.
>>>
>>>Also, don't leave the printer sitting without a tank in it for more than a
>>>few minutes.
>>>

>>>"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message

>>>Easiest

>>>them

>>>with

>>>cartridge in

davy

Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.

Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?

As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.

I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
required, unlike the Epsons I had.

Davy

davy

zakezuke said:
> I'll have to look further into this head cleaning deal. I've been
> informed by others that the printer does do a head cleaning
often...
> just not the same volume as epson.

I thought the statement would have been obvious to understand!

We all know printers go through a cleaning routine - thats normal,
What I should have said was that "I have not had to do a manual clean
nor print head test in the three months I have had the printer",
hoping to clarify the above.

The Canons ink certainly outlast those of the Epson and guess they
don't waste as much, with Epson about 20% is left in the tank so is
claimed and with Canon from memory I think it's 6%....!

See link-:.

Davy

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

drc023 wrote:

Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to the biggest idiot
ever born?
Sure sounds that way from here.
Frank

I think you had a little trouble comprehending what I said. The problem was
caused by a brand new OEM Canon black cartridge, not from a refilled
cartridge. A poorly sealed cartridge, new OEM or refilled, that leaks too
much ink will flood the ink pad and the other colors will be contaminated.
If there is a single most common problem reported with refilled cartridges
it is from improper sealing of the refill inlet. As an experienced refiller
I am fully aware of the steps necessary to avoid a leaking cartridge. In
fact I used to send out a refilling instruction sheet on request and I had
many request from readers of this newsgroup. If you will read the original
post, it clearly stated that black ink contaminated the yellow and magenta
tanks. The only way for that to happen was for the black ink to leak, or
should I say have excessive flow. That black ink came from a new Canon ink
cartridge, not a refill. Do I let cartridges stand for a day or so after
refilling? That question has absolutely nothing to do with the problem
described, but the answer is yes. I have multiple sets of cartridges I keep
in reserve since I rotate each set as soon as a single cartridge requires
refilling. However, that step isn't necessary, especially if the tanks
aren't allowed to run dry prior to refilling. All refilling does is add more
ink to the reservoir. If you want to learn more about refilling, I suggest
you take a look at www.nifty-stuff.com. Here is a link, with photos, to a
refilling setup I made.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433. Using the base
described in that article to store refilled tanks allows me to swap out an
entire set in only a few seconds.
--
Ron

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
> drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
> way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
> slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
> nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
> compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.
>
> Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?
>
> As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
> leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
> like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.
>
> I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
> only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
> required, unlike the Epsons I had.
>
> Davy

Actually I don't think he's really is an idiot. I've seen posts from him on
other newsgroups and for the most part those responses aren't abusive or
idiotic. That's the real problem with the troll. He does know better. He
gets on this newsgroup and continually posts intentionally misleading
garbage and abuse at helpful participants. I don't know why he does it other
than to mislead those seeking practical advice. I've made it a practice to
not reply to his postings, but since his comments were directly related to a
posting of mine, I wasn't going to let his misrepresentations go
unchallenged. Most users have killfiled him or refuse to respond. Maybe if
he ever grows up and realizes what nonsense he spouts, his obnoxious
behavior will improve; We can only hope, however distant that possibility
may be.
--
Ron

Davy wrote:

>Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
>drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
>way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
>slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
>nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
>compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.
>
>Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?

YEAH YOU REALLY NEED THIS PAIN IN THE ASS.

>As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
>leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
>like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.
>
>I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
>only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
>required, unlike the Epsons I had.
>
>Davy

I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS CAUSED BY SOMEONE WHO MADE SOME KIND OF A
MISTAKE THAT HE/SHE HAS NOT AS YET DISCOVERED.

Frank wrote:

> drc023 wrote:

> Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to the biggest idiot
> ever born?
> Sure sounds that way from here. It is me Frank

how do you kill file someone. tired of having to skip his stupid rants.

Could be that it has to do with him maybe having his own web site!
www.oem.com at least his email comes as inkstinky@oem.com!!
I wonder if that could be the reason?
--
Regards
Stick, Oxford, UK

"drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
> Actually I don't think he's really is an idiot. I've seen posts from him
> on other newsgroups and for the most part those responses aren't abusive
> or idiotic. That's the real problem with the troll. He does know better.
> He gets on this newsgroup and continually posts intentionally misleading
> garbage and abuse at helpful participants. I don't know why he does it
> other than to mislead those seeking practical advice. I've made it a
> practice to not reply to his postings, but since his comments were
> directly related to a posting of mine, I wasn't going to let his
> misrepresentations go unchallenged. Most users have killfiled him or
> refuse to respond. Maybe if he ever grows up and realizes what nonsense he
> spouts, his obnoxious behavior will improve; We can only hope, however
> distant that possibility may be.
> --
> Ron
>
> "Frank" <fb@notspam.com> wrote in message
>> drc023 wrote:

>> Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to the biggest idiot ever
>> born?
>> Sure sounds that way from here.
>> Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Stick Stickus wrote:
> Could be that it has to do with him maybe having his own web site!
> www.oem.com at least his email comes as inkstinky@oem.com!!
> I wonder if that could be the reason?

He's a shill for canon.
Frank

DC

davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:

>Uh...! Canon cartridges like eh, you just gotta be doing something
>drastic, it's really is hard to understand your statement, the only
>way the inks can mix is either putting the wrong colours in the wrong
>slots, a fault in the head chambers, thats the area just before the
>nozzles or that ink as been allowed to stray into the other colours
>compartments which to me sounds feesible if you refill them.
>
>Do you let them stand a day or so after refilling ?
>
>As said previously if you don't seal the end prior to filling they
>leak, how come new tanks don't leak when you break the seal, sounds
>like you are filling them with air or maybe filling too fast.
>
>I use Canon inks on a ip5000 and never had a clog yet, mind you I've
>only had it over 3 months, not one single print head clean or test
>required, unlike the Epsons I had.
>
>Davy

(I'm the original poster of this thread)

The problem was that I did not seal the top hole properly. Now the ip4000 is
printing away nicely. I even print with photo-cyan and photo-magenta and
everything is going OK.
I have to print about 8000 pages of color prints where the quality is not that
important. Anyway the print looks excellent after 700 pages.
If the printer breaks down the savings in inks cost have allready paid for it and
I'll just buy another Canon ip4000.

I've had a number of other inkjets before and the ip4000 is best so far. Quiet,
fast and good quality. CD printing is also a big plus. I cost me 120 euros so the
price was not bad at all.

TRENDING THREADS