Intel or amd!

i'm building a gameing comp, its my first build. i picked out an intel mobo i might buy and a amd mobo as well. i want sli so both are nvidia chipsets, but should i get the core 2 or amd X2? any suggestions on mobos and video cards would be helpfull.
67 answers Last reply
More about intel
  1. Core 2 Duo if you can afford it. Make sure you get a motherboard that's compatible.

I'm assuming you're buying all new parts. If you're using some old DDR RAM, a socket 939 X2 might be an option if you don't have a lot of money to spend. Otherwise, you'd be better off with Core 2 Duo.

What's your budget?
  2. build from scratch. i'm looking to spend bout up to 800 bucks.
  3. Up tp $800? With a monitor and 2 video cards, it might be best to go with an X2 939 then. I'm not sure you'd be able to pull off a Conroe build with that budget.
  4. no screen just the box.
  5. Unfortunately, with only $800., you probably aren't going to get two video cards. A 939 sytem is about all you'll probably be able to afford, but don't worry about that. 939 systems are still plenty fast. Conroe or AM2 would require DDR2 ram, which would totally blow your budget.
  6. I agree.
    With that budget you´ll be better with socket 939
  7. how much do you think i'l need to build a conroe rig.
  8. Still, that might be a little tight. You're looking at about $100 or $200 for RAM (depending on 1gb or 2gb), about $100 for a HDD, $100-$150 for a case and PSU. If you want a CD or DVD-RW, you can get that for about $30. This is all assuming you don't want anything too fancy. That leaves you between $500 and $290 or so (with a DVD and CD-RW) for a processor, motherboard, and video card.

For SLI/Crossfire, you'll probably be spending at least $300, so assuming you get 1gb RAM, a cheaper case (you want a namebrand PSU at least), and no DVD or CD drives, you could get an X2 3800+ for about $120 and then a decent $90 motherboard all for within $800.

Like I said, that's kind of tight.
  9. i'm going to go do some priceing and check some sites, thanks for the links.
  10. I'm not sure how he would be able to afford a x1900XT and an e6300. The x1900XT's are going for around $350, and the e6300 for around $200. That's $550 right there, and I can't see how he could buy a motherboard, case, PSU, RAM, and hard drive all with just the remaining $250.
  11. Don't even think about Core 2 with that budget (IMO). Core 2 is only worth the money in the high end (E6600 and higher) or if you're overclocking. If you're overclocking, you'll need a more expensive mobo and RAM, pushing up the price. Definitley have a look at a 939 or AM2 system, imo :)
  12. Quote:
    build from scratch. i'm looking to spend bout up to 800 bucks.

SLI does NOT make sense in an $800 system. SLI is only worth it with high-end GPUs (7900GT or higher); two 7600GTs in SLI will be beaten by a single 7900GT; two 7600GS' in SLI will (probably) be beaten by a single 7600GT.

IMO, you should get a C2D E6300 with this BFG 7600GT ($114 after a $30 MIR) and 1GB of good DDR2.
  13. whats the best chipset for a core 2?
  14. Thanks, if I go with a core 2 I will probly go with a intel chipset and skip sli and just get a hot ati video card.
  15. AMD suckss , dont go AMD , stick with Intel , their the best , and Nvidia.
  16. Quote:
    AMD suckss , dont go AMD , stick with Intel , their the best , and Nvidia.
    Unfortunately, there's always at least one dumb fanboy post in every thread. :roll:
  17. Quote:

Absolutely utterly false!

AMD has better price performance even with 90nm parts.

AMD also has a superior architecture.

Given your budget I would suggest socket 939 it is fast, reliable and very reasonably priced.

GL :-D
  18. Quote:
    Unfortunately, with only $800., you probably aren't going to get two video cards. A 939 sytem is about all you'll probably be able to afford, but don't worry about that. 939 systems are still plenty fast. Conroe or AM2 would require DDR2 ram, which would totally blow your budget.

Does it? Last time I have checked, DDR2 was cheaper than DDR (but I might be wrong).

Note that for Core2, DDR2 533 is all you need, unless you are going to sqeeze that 2% of performance by going to DDR2 800.

Mirek
  19. stats have shown that the C2D beat the AMD processors are everysingle benchmark by at least 20% ,and Intels have always had superior Architectures then to AMD.

AMDs have been known to perform really badly and over heat alot.
  20. Quote:
    stats have shown that the C2D beat the AMD processors are everysingle benchmark by at least 20% ,and Intels have always had superior Architectures then to AMD.

Utterly false again.

AMDs perform very well. In fact AMD64s outperform Intel P4s by 25% or more while consuming 25-40% less power. Only the P3 based core2 can outperform AMD in some CPU benchmarks. Real world performance is about the same.

The P3 based core2 does not suck but P4s do.
  21. Countering stupidity with more stupidity doesn't work. Best to ignore the drive by trolls.
  22. Quote:
    Best to ignore the drive by trolls.

Best, but we can't. Right?
  23. Quote:
    i'm building a gameing comp, its my first build. i picked out an intel mobo i might buy and a amd mobo as well. i want sli so both are nvidia chipsets, but should i get the core 2 or amd X2? any suggestions on mobos and video cards would be helpfull.

Here's the best system I could come up with on your budget. The E6300 runs about what a FX60 does on games so its your best CPU for the money. You'll pay $190 for this CPU.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005
    I picked out a SLI mobo but for your budget you'll only be able to buy a mid range GPU. This is a good way to go as DX10 should be here before the end of the year and Nvidia's DX10 in about 2 months. This mobo cost around $120 and should last a good long time.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131032
    You'll need your RAM to last a while so I pick out 2GB's for $180.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220095
    Here's a SLI compatable PSU with 600W with 2X 12V 19A rails for $75.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182032
    Im sorry but you'll have to go real cheap on the case. $25 with a side glass but it doesn't take away from performance.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16811164040
    You should be able to find a HD and DVD for around $100 on Newegg.

Thats a total of $710 so your GPU needs to be less than $100. The only GPU I could come up with at that price range is XFX 6800XT for $97.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150152

Your total system will cost almost $900 after shipping but its highly upgradable.
  24. If you want to build a "gaming" system, I'd say you'd need to bump up your budget by 2-3 hundred. If you cannot wait and save up some money then what Elbert wrote is a good starting point for you.

I just have one recommendation. For an extra $17 after MIR, get the 7600GT video card. BFG 7600GT OC'd

If you can bump up your budget, then get an X1800XT or X1900XTX. MSI has a $150 MIR for their X1900XTX which makes it $284. This is what you want if you are looking for a "gaming" system. MSI X1900XTX It's currently out-of-stock at Newegg but you might try one of the other "qualifying" stores. The purchase needs to be made by 9/30.
  25. Quote:

Given your budget I would suggest socket 939 it is fast, reliable and very reasonably priced.

?????????????????

Explain to me, with evidence and facts how an AMD Athlon64 X2 compares to a Core 2 Duo per clock, per price and per feature. I'd love to see what BS you come up with.

Core 2 Duo(allendale/conroe) are based on a superior architecture over Athlon64/X2 (K8.). When a Core 2 Duo clocked at 1.86Ghz beats out a more expensive AMD X2 clocked at 2.4GHz how can you claim AMD to have the superior architecture?

Price/Performance is also on the Core 2 Duo's side.. as is performance/watt, performance/MHz etc.

It's a total domination from Intel. It won't last forever.. but you fanboi's need to get a feaking life. It's HIS HARD EARNED MONEY he wants to spend.. quite spreading mis-leading and all out lies trying to trick him into buying an inferior AMD rig.

26. an $800 build? i just did mine for $920 and that was before amd's price drop. i went for amd's 3800+ venice chip. i reccomend that or higher since the chip i bought 2 months ago is now like $115-$150.

a thought for a video card...

i've had a good experience with the ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512M and although it's a little warm, my pc is SOOOOOOO quiet and it plays pretty smooth!

i do reccomend amd for gaming, though to be fair the core 2 duo E6400 preformed just as well if not better than the anthalon 64 X2 4000 series. long and the short of it is: i like amd. if you like amd go for it, if you have no preference go for the core 2 duo if you get a better response on this tread. i'm staying with my socket 939, it's upgradable for now, and honestly how long do you think it'll be before you go "i wish i got the (insert part name here) instead of that...."

just go with your gut. anyone can advise you on what they would get if they were you. just get something that you can enjoy, with at least 1 gig of ram, a decent graphics card (the asus i have can go sli), and something you can upgrade for at least the forseable future. then get the parts. dont procrastinate. the only thing worse than designing your own rig is second guessing yourself into a standstill.

and as a sidenote: most games don't support the dual core architecture anyway. so yes, multiple core is great for multiprocessing, but gaming is still good on a single core. check out the other articles on toms, or in the comments in newegg on the processors you're looking at.
  27. ROFL.

*fetches his full suit of armor and a bag of popcorn*

This outta be interesting.

You're going to get a lot of opinions here. The fact is that Intel has a faster chip for the moment. Dollar for dollar AMD and Intel are fairly close. It's more preference than anything. Get what you wanna get, with few exceptions.

If you want SLI, go AMD. Intel (arguably) has the best chipsets and works great with ATi crossfire. The new Intel i965/ICH8 has 6 SATA ports that will perform hardware RAID on all 6 ports (Otherwise expensive).
  28. Quote:
    The P3 based core2 does not suck but P4s do.

C2D IS NOT P3-BASED.

They may share things in common, but that's like saying the X6800 is based on the 80x86.

The P3 architecture and the C2D architecture are worlds apart.

Quote:
    The Intel Core Microarchitecture is a multi-core processor architecture unveiled by Intel in Q1 2006. It is based around an updated version of the Yonah core and could be considered the latest iteration of the Intel P6 microarchitecture, which traces its history back to the 1995 Pentium Pro. The extreme heat output of NetBurst-based products and the resulting inability to effectively increase clock speed was the primary reason Intel abandoned the NetBurst architecture. The Intel Core Microarchitecture was designed by the team in Haifa, Israel that previously designed the highly successful Pentium M mobile processor.
    ( link )

^^ That doesn't mean it's based on P6, either. It just means its roots go as far back as Pentium Pro. To say that the C2D is based on the P3 is misleading.
  29. Quote:

I own an Athlon 64 (not x2 for now), and I wouldn't personally go to Core2, because I'd have to replace my memory.

However, if I was building from scratch, and my budget was large enough for any Core2 CPU/MB, there's no doubt that that is the best bang for the buck and that's exactly what I'd get.

AMD may have a better chip next year with the quad cores, but I wouldn't buy an AM2 rig based on that, any more than I would have bought a Core Duo because Core2 was coming (and lets assume we knew our MB was compatable), but before prices were announced and before benchmarks had run.

Get the Core2.

Edit:
    As others have said, SLI is out of the questin. Your budget probably isn't high enough to buy the 2 video cards needed to justify SLI.

Also, I'm assuming you have Hard Drives, DVD Drives, Monitors and so on and that your budget is for the MB, CPU, RAM, Case and Video Card.

Unless you need to build right now, I'd recommend heading over to hardforum.com and monitoring the hotdeals section. It's gone now, but this weekend there was an ATI X850xt for under $100.00 AR. Ram deals occur regularly.

Decent cases are often available for almost nothing. I've seen the Ultra mid-tower go for 10 bucks or so AR at Radio Shack and/or Circuit City (probably doesn't include shipping, but it might have).

When I built my rig last year, I got a Cheiftec Dragon for $30.00 shipped (though due to a mistake by Tiger Direct, the price was adjusted down to $15.00, which was just the shipping charges).

Even if you need to buy a HD 300gb+ drives are available for $50.00 at times (try to stick with SATA...cable management is much easier and prices arne't that different).
  30. Quote:
    stats have shown that the C2D beat the AMD processors are everysingle benchmark by at least 20% ,and Intels have always had superior Architectures then to AMD.

Are you an idiot or do you just play one on message boards? Overheat? I run the fan on my Athlon64 at 100 rpm and the heatsink barely gets warm when I'm running SuperPI.

While I agree that Core2 is the better chip, your comments are not helpful.
  31. i honestly see no benefit personally in conroe. considering my opteron is plenty quick for me and runs quiet cool.

also if intel has always been great and awesome why are they cutting 10500 jobs from their workforce ?

i personally will never use another intel machine for 2 reasons

1. my intel box at work is dead slow (i want amd)
    2. the only intel i box i ever bought died on me. my 6 amd boxes have never died.

end of my rant.
  32. Quote:
    i honestly see no benefit personally in conroe. considering my opteron is plenty quick for me and runs quiet cool.

also if intel has always been great and awesome why are they cutting 10500 jobs from their workforce ?

2. the only intel i box i ever bought died on me. my 6 amd boxes have never died.

end of my rant.

And you're responding to my post because?
  33. Quote:

lol You AMD fanboys still just can't face the reality that Core2 stuff is beating the pants off of AMD both for price/performance and outright performance.

Sure AMD will probably come back with something faster at some point in time.. then so will Intel... but AMD are dead in the water right now.
  34. Save money on your case/PSU and buy this mid-tower in black.

No it's not the greatest case, nor is it the greatest PSU, but for your budget, it's fine. If you end up spending a grand on video cards down the road to Run SLI, then you buy a new PSU if this doesn't have the amps to handle it.

Or if you want a full tower or an Aluminum case then this Full Tower Aluminum case might fit the bill, but you'll have to get a PSU (still

Bottom line is $30.00 for a Case/PSU (after rebate of course) is a good deal and $30.00 for a full tower Aluminum case is as well.
  35. Unless you plan to have a high-resolution screen like 1600x1200 and above. You really don't need an SLI. A single card would just as fine for now, unless if you really want it. This way you can pick Core 2 E6300 and a good card like 7900GT or X1900XT and 2x1Gb of ram.
  36. Personally, I would go with AMD all the way.
  37. Quote:
    i honestly see no benefit personally in conroe. considering my opteron is plenty quick for me and runs quiet cool.

end of my rant.

1. Yeah I know.. sucks that alot of places are still running Pentium II's.. oh wait.. they're still running? Woah.. that must mean they last long!

2. Maybe you shouldn't m******ate soo close to the case with the panels off... I'm pretty sure bodilly fluids are electrically conductive.

:P

ALL in good humour my friend... laugh it off..lol
  38. ok.

stop the nerdfight.
    amd vs intel?

intel vs amd?

one will ALWAYS have a chip better than the other.
    always.

if you want a chip thats:
    1)hot on the market
    2)fast as hell
    3)fairly affordable

you could go with either company.
    forget the nitpicking kids.
    yeah the (affordable) c2d E6400 can beat my amd 3800+ using clone dvd by about 30 seconds.
    so what?
    if you can afford a $10,000 rig and get the best of the best (at the moment) enter the toms 10th anniversarry contest and stop the whining.
    the stats on both sides?
    you refer to miniscule differences that matter little in the long run.
    "can i play oblivion on it?" that's ALL i wanna know.

all the guy who started this thread wanted to know was: "which would be better for my rig, all i have is $800?"not "could you compare the price/preformace stats witht the power consumption figures, and round it out

Himal, dude, good luck on a realistic answer to your question. you might not get it.
  39. Quote:
    yeah the (affordable) c2d E6400 can beat my amd 3800+ using clone dvd by about 30 seconds.

I assume you meant the 6300 (which is more affordable than the 6400). :wink:

I think he's gotten some good answers. Only a few have been from fanbois of either CPU.
  40. This thread is getting out of hand. We don't need personal preferences getting in the way of facts.

As it stands, you'd do well to either go with a cheaper Conroe build and get a decent video card, or go with a lower end AMD X2 (such as the 3800+, which honestly is good enough for any current-gen games and won't bottleneck) and get a slightly better video card (socket AM2 might be better a better idea than 939 considering you're starting from scratch...DDR2 and DDR are roughly the same price, and it would be more upgradable). If you go with a cheaper AMD X2 (again, like the 3800+; it's probably the best processor for under $150), I'd recommend using the money you save there on a better GPU. It would be nice to have a C2D, but as far as gaming goes, the GPU will make a bigger difference than the CPU.

So it's really up to you. If you go C2D, you'd have to buy a cheaper GPU, but considering that in about a year you'll probably want a DX10 video card, you'd probably be able to afford something to hold you over at least until then.

Personally, I'm running a X850XT right now (clocked at 560/580, but stock speeds should suffice anyway), and I'm perfectly content. It's going for the cheap price of about $120 on NewEgg (currently it's sold out but you could probably find it somewhere else or wait a few days for Newegg; honestly you shouldn't put too much faith in the mail-in rebate though, as I've heard bad stories about never actually seeing the money).
  41. this poor kid hasnt got any real good advice

for an 800 bucks you should get a single core s939 amd 4000/3800 as your cpu has far less effect on games than your gfx card and niether does dual core

and spend as much as possible on your gfx card

i would recomend an x1800xt/x1900xt(assuming you can afford it)
    otherwise an 7600gt/x1800gto
    because they are the best value at the moment
  42. Quote:
    this poor kid hasnt got any real good advice

Yeah, and I fail to see how your advice was any different than mine (ignoring the socket 939/AM2 differences, which you failed to discuss), other than I gave two options for the CPU whereas you gave one, and I was simply less specific about the video card.

It's great that you're trying to help, but let's not get arrogant about our opinions.
  43. to play the latest games you dont need a high end or dual core cpu and a rig for 800 bucks you simply cannot afford conroe or x2

also i did not mean to be arragent
  44. Quote:
    to play the latest games you dont need a high end or dual core cpu and a rig for 800 bucks you simply cannot afford conroe or x2

Why not? Lower X2 and C2D models range from $150-$200. That's perfectly reasonable. It's a much better idea than going with a $100 processor, as that $50 adds up to a lot in terms of performance. It's very possible to end up with a CPU bottleneck with a $100 CPU.
  45. but will not perform as well in games as the single core for less money
  46. Quote:
    to play the latest games you dont need a high end or dual core cpu and a rig for 800 bucks you simply cannot afford conroe or x2

also i did not mean to be arragent

False on both accounts. For some games a hefty CPU is required (though not dual-core). For example, running SLI with a celeron is ill-advised.

Also, $800 can get you a C2D or X2 pretty easily. An E6300 and an X1600 or 7600 GT would fit well within the $800 range, and still have very good playability for the latest games (except oblivion, of course).
  47. Quote:
    but will perform as well in games as the single core for less money

I guess you do have a point in that a $50 cheaper 3400+ would perform about the same as a 3800+ with a single GPU, but I think the extra $50 is worth it to get a dual core, as it's much more future-proof if he does end up wanting to get another video card and with multi-threaded applications.
  48. i understand your point but there is no need for dual core in a gaming rig you would be far better off spending your money on a better gfx card and getting a high end single core cpu
  49. That's a very nearsighted approach though.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel Product