cannot stay connected to the internet due to winsock error

i sent this email rather quickly to my internet provider(earthlink):

"Hi, i'm having a really hard time staying
connected... cant stay on for more than 3 minutes before i get 'error in
winsock module' and have to re-connect. it just suddenly started
happening. says something like a firewall is blocking the system file
'services.exe', yet i have uninstalled my PC-cillion anti-virus/firewall
a while ago, after the problems began... can you help me out?"

after a response requesting more information I sent them this:

"Thank you for your quick response, i will try to explain my problem in more
detail. i will start with the message. it is rather grey plain looking, to
the side it has a small picture of a round red circle with a white X written
through it. at the top in the blue bar, beside the little exit icon it reads
'Windows System'. the error message reads Exactly:

Error in Winsock Module
Connection Structure is unknown.

Possible Reason:
Your Firewall and/or Antivirus application block the
System-File: services.exe

Make sure that "services.exe" can connect to
the internet!

then it has an OK button at the bottom... when i get this message(which is
every minute or so) i automatically get booted off the internet and have to
reconnect. it started happening just yesterday, i think. as i am writing
this i am disconnected, i will have to quickly reconnect and send to get
this message through. i am running on windows 2000 professional and have all
my drivers up to date. what do you think i should do?

ah, it just happened again! but this time instead of 'services.exe' it says
'smss.exe' or 'csrss.exe' i usually get quite a few of these error messages
at once each saying either of the 3."

they said i should take it up with microsoft. can anyone help me?

dl

Try the system file checker - scannow process, see help
You uninstalled AV some time ago? this type of problem is often virus
related