Deciding what to upgrade...

samisslammin

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Hey all, just gettin that end of summer paycheck and tryin to decide what to upgrade...got about $300 or so, and here's what I'm running currently:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice w/ stock cooling
DFI LanParty UT nf4 Ultra-D Mobo
1gb Kingston Value ram pc3200 w/ 3-3-3-8 @ 200mhz
ATI / Asus Radeon X800XL 256mb
2x 40gb Seagate Barracuda cheapy HD's on IDE

I'm mostly a gamer but I do some graphics as well and will be starting into animation, but I don't really do an exorbitant amount of rendering. I'm lookin to upgrade the system overall, and I'm not sure which path I want to take. As far as I can tell, the vid card is probably at the bottom of the list for ugprades; with DX10 still on the horizon and gains for moving up in cards being negligible for my purposes. I'm also not running a huge cinema screen that would necessitate huge resolutions that something like a 7800 or so would provide.

As for the processor, I am unsure of the stepping at the current time, but I know its not the early LBBLE that was renowned for the high OC potentials when the venice core was just released.

So, should I replace the RAM and go with a pair of OCZ Platinum pc3200 2x1gb's at 2-3-2-5 ($215 over at newegg)? Get a new X2 processor in socket 939? Is it possible to put together a water cooling kit for around $100 these days? If so, it seems that my best bet may be to knock out the biggest bottleneck (ram), get a cooling system that can cool all the components (like a water cooling kit) and start OC'ing the Venice. But I wanted to get some other opinions first.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The video card question depends somewhat on what games you play.

If you think you are going to stick with your current CPU and motherboard for a while then the RAM would probably be a good idea.

If you plan on doing some serious overclocking you might want to look at something a little faster. I think that there is a Patriot 2GB PC4000 kit that is about the same price that you quoted on the OCZ and it has a rebate on top of that.