Simple, network-able printer?

I've gone through two printers in the last two days. Ugh.

The Epson CX1500 wouldn't work on a Mac. Now the Canon iP1500 won't
work over a network.

My wife & I have four boxes: one WinXP desktop (which, for geometry
reasons, needs to be connected to the printer), one Power Mac and two
iBooks.

Can someone recommend a decent quality, fairly inexpensive printer?
"Fairly" meaning "it won't fall apart right away, but neither will it
require a second mortgage" ?

Thank you muchly.
6 answers Last reply
More about simple network able printer

    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've given up on the Epson. And note, I'm okay
    without network scanning, but network printer is a deal-breaker.

    For the Canon -- No matter what, Printer Setup Utility defaults to
    "Generic Postscript Drivers" for the printer model. I'm not sure what
    you mean by "delete the Canon printer listed there" [in the Printers
    folder].

    I'm not sure if the Brother would work for us. Scanning reviews online,
    it looks like it shuts down (completely!) when it gets low on ink. Oy!
    :)

    Joshua,
    Be aware that many All-in-Ones Printers, are not able to scan or fax over a network, you can try by purchasing a print server for this purpose, but no guarantees that it will work with your All-in-One. Now Brother makes two (2) for about $130.00USD, models MFC-420CN & MFC-5440CN. It is compatible with MACs running OS 8.6 and above.
    http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/mfc_ataglance_psvar=ZMFC_GEN_PRS1.aspx

    For the Epson CX1500 you have:
    1. It seems that Epson is not MAC compatible (no drivers found at manufacture's site) as you found out. HP & Canon make some.
    a. To use the Epson, it must be connected the Windows machine. Create Document in MAC, copy it over to the Windows PC, then from the Windows machine, print or fax it.
    b. To Scan Documents, you will need to scan into the Windows machine first, then copy to the MAC machine.

    2. With the Canon, installed (Drivers and Software installed) , running, and tested, on the Windows Machine.
    a. Control Panel> Printers & Scanners> Select right click Canon Printer> Properties> Sharing tab:
    1. Make sure it is set for Network Sharing.
    2. Make sure that the Sharing name is less than 12 character long and that there is no spaces in the name.
    3. With your MACs, after you have the Printer Drivers (and software if you want) installed.
    a. In the MAC Printer's folder delete the Canon Printer listed there. Sometimes during the Driver Installation, it list the printer's name with a space in it.
    b. Select Add a Printer> Go through the Process of adding a shared printer from a Windows to a MAC.

    For additional XP & MAC Sharing info check the following sites:
    http://www.mac-connect.com/printer_sharing_win2.php
    http://www.mac-connect.com/win_mac_samba2.php
    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    <joshua.wehner@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1124277567.256293.23600@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    I've gone through two printers in the last two days. Ugh.

    The Epson CX1500 wouldn't work on a Mac. Now the Canon iP1500 won't
    work over a network.

    My wife & I have four boxes: one WinXP desktop (which, for geometry
    reasons, needs to be connected to the printer), one Power Mac and two
    iBooks.

    Can someone recommend a decent quality, fairly inexpensive printer?
    "Fairly" meaning "it won't fall apart right away, but neither will it
    require a second mortgage" ?

    Thank you muchly.

    <joshua.wehner@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone recommend a decent quality, fairly inexpensive printer?
    > "Fairly" meaning "it won't fall apart right away, but neither will it
    > require a second mortgage" ?

    Take a look at the HP6840. It has wired and wireless LAN support. Seems to
    be a good general purpose machine - even photos look reasonably good and not
    far short of my Epson 2100/2200 for quality. In draft mode the black is good
    enough for letters in my vies so I leave it in draft most of the time.

    Base model:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-385457.html

    Note there are several versions available with different things in the box
    depending on your country. Check which model you are buying for what price.

    The optional items you might find in the box include.

    Autometic Duplexor (this came with mine)
    Autometic Duplexor with small paper try (eg for envelopes)
    Extra 250 Sheet paper tray

    The only problem with the 6840 it is the output tray. It's more like a paper
    support than a tray. Otherwise it seems to be a good solid printer.

    I've not tried printing onto exotic media like OHP foils. It uses the HP90
    series carts which look small but the ink seems to be very dense and seems
    to last longer. You can probably refill them (I've not tried) but be aware
    that they are chipped and as far as I am aware there is no third party
    resetter available/possible?

    HOW CAN YOU SCAN OVER A NETWORK. YOU ARE AT THE REMOTE COMPUTER WITH
    THE DOCUMENT YOU WANT TO SCAN. HOW IS THAT DOCUMENT GOING TO GET TO THE
    SCANNER ATTACHED COMPUTER .

    measekite wrote:
    > HOW CAN YOU SCAN OVER A NETWORK. YOU ARE AT THE REMOTE COMPUTER WITH
    > THE DOCUMENT YOU WANT TO SCAN. HOW IS THAT DOCUMENT GOING TO GET TO THE
    > SCANNER ATTACHED COMPUTER .

    1. Most network attached scanners come with software that allow you
    to remotely control the scanner from afar. Of course, you still have to
    walk up to that scanner and feed paper.

    2. With printers at $20-40 at Target, etc. on sale, you may simply
    drop in a cheap inkjet at every computer location.

    3. You can easily share printers attached to PCs/Macs for use across
    the entire network (assuming they are in fact all networked together).

    4. Otherwise, anything that has a built-in network card or any
    printer compatible with a printer sharing box (eg. HP Jetdirect box),
    can be dropped onto the network easily.

    5. Yes, you can have fully networked fax/printer/scanner combos - and
    with full remote control of all features.

    6. If the computers are close enough, even a simple auto-USB switch
    box with one printer attached to all computers (assuming it is a model
    that drivers are available to all computers) will work fine. You can
    easily buy 25ft USB cables and a box for a few dozen bucks.

    7. An example of an inexpensive network printer:
    HP LaserJet 1022n Printer
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=storefronts&category=laserjets_bw&subcat1=entry_level&catLevel=2&product_code=Q5913A%23ABA
    $269

    (vs. 5 or so $40 inkjet printers for each and every computer)

    Joshua,
    Have you downloaded the Canon drivers for the MACs, you will need OS 9.X or OS X on them:
    Canon site:
    For Drivers:
    http://alpha03.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
    For MAC Compatibility:
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=OSCompatibilitySupportAct&keycode=macdr&fcategoryid=257&modelid=10236

    I have no experience using an Apple Computer, so I don't know how the OS and folder structure looks like. So for the statement, about removing/deleting the Canon Printer name from the Printer folder. I meant after installing the drivers and printer software on the MAC, go to Printer folder on the MAC that is the equivalent to the Windows printer folder that you would find by going to:

    Control Panel> Printer & Faxes on the XP machine> Delete the Canon Printer listed there.

    For my Canon I470D, when I installed the drivers and software for it, the printer would be given the name in the Printers folder of:
    "Canon[space]I470D" (w/o quotes). The [space] in the name of the printer, causes a problem with networking the printer.

    With the share name changed to "CanonI47" (w/o quotes) and set to be a network printer, on the Host machine. I delete the printer "name" entry (Canon[space]I470D) that the installation of drivers gives to it, on the 2nd PC, in its Printer folder.

    With the Printer "ON", connected to the Host PC. I then select "Add a Printer", run the Printer wizard to add the network printer to the 2nd PC. On the MAC there is a similar method, using the "Samba" program. But I have never used it to know how it works, only read a little about it.

    I hope I made myself clearer.

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    <joshua.wehner@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1124301091.820540.273480@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've given up on the Epson. And note, I'm okay
    without network scanning, but network printer is a deal-breaker.

    For the Canon -- No matter what, Printer Setup Utility defaults to
    "Generic Postscript Drivers" for the printer model. I'm not sure what
    you mean by "delete the Canon printer listed there" [in the Printers
    folder].

    I'm not sure if the Brother would work for us. Scanning reviews online,
    it looks like it shuts down (completely!) when it gets low on ink. Oy!
    :)

Printers Macintosh Peripherals