BK

I currently have win98se installed on my system. I no longer have the disk
used to install it and do not have most of the program disks installed on
the computer (software is legal, this is a divorce situation). Can I
upgrade to XP without having the win98 disk? Would XP recognize the
existing programs?
thanks

In news:Ol7QrdpwEHA.3024@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
bk <bkingsley@harringtonhospital.org> typed:

>I currently have win98se installed on my system. I no longer
>have
> the disk used to install it and do not have most of the program
> disks
> installed on the computer (software is legal, this is a divorce
> situation). Can I upgrade to XP without having the win98 disk?

Yes. However if you use the Upgrade CD, and you have, for
example, a hard drive failure, you won't be able to reinstall XP
cleanly without having a 98 CD.

> Would XP recognize the existing programs?

Yes. Most Windows 98-era programs should work without a problem.
However be aware that it's possible that *some* older programs
(for example, disk utilities) will *not* work.

Please reply to the newsgroup

BK

thanks

In news:u1IiJlpwEHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,