Install

I currently have win98se installed on my system. I no longer have the disk
used to install it and do not have most of the program disks installed on
the computer (software is legal, this is a divorce situation). Can I
upgrade to XP without having the win98 disk? Would XP recognize the
existing programs?
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about install

    In news:Ol7QrdpwEHA.3024@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    bk <bkingsley@harringtonhospital.org> typed:

    >I currently have win98se installed on my system. I no longer
    >have
    > the disk used to install it and do not have most of the program
    > disks
    > installed on the computer (software is legal, this is a divorce
    > situation). Can I upgrade to XP without having the win98 disk?

    Yes. However if you use the Upgrade CD, and you have, for
    example, a hard drive failure, you won't be able to reinstall XP
    cleanly without having a 98 CD.

    > Would XP recognize the existing programs?

    Yes. Most Windows 98-era programs should work without a problem.
    However be aware that it's possible that *some* older programs
    (for example, disk utilities) will *not* work.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    thanks

    In news:u1IiJlpwEHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    bk <bkingsley@harringtonhospital.org> typed:

    > thanks

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:Ol7QrdpwEHA.3024@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> bk <bkingsley@harringtonhospital.org> typed:
    >>
    >> >I currently have win98se installed on my system. I no
    >> >longer
    >> >have
    >> > the disk used to install it and do not have most of the
    >> > program
    >> > disks
    >> > installed on the computer (software is legal, this is a
    >> > divorce
    >> > situation). Can I upgrade to XP without having the win98
    >> > disk?
    >>

    >> Yes. However if you use the Upgrade CD, and you have, for
    >> example, a hard drive failure, you won't be able to reinstall
    >> XP
    >> cleanly without having a 98 CD.
    >>

    >> > Would XP recognize the existing programs?
    >>

    >> Yes. Most Windows 98-era programs should work without a
    >> problem.
    >> However be aware that it's possible that *some* older programs
    >> (for example, disk utilities) will *not* work.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Windows XP