Win 2000 stuck in safe mode

I've installed Windows Pro 2000 from disk twice. When boots, it opens in
Safe Mode even if I hit f8 and select normal boot or last best config or
anything else. When I log off and re-start, f8 shows it's defaulted to safe
mode again--though windows doesn't show "safe mode" printed in corners.

Can anyone help?

Check Event Viewer for errors. Check Device Manager for errors and or
non-starting devices. Also check that [boot.ini]'s default start option
doesn't use the /safeboot switch.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional