Backing up W2k File server

Hello.
Our file server has grown to about 400gb of data. Many Thousands of
files...A full backup takes forever to run through. What do you guys do
with your file servers? How do you back them up? Full Backup by sections?
Any inputs, ideas appreciated...

Thanks
Stephan
2 answers Last reply
More about backing file server

    What are you using to backup to?
    If Tape is it DLT? LTO?

    DDS
    "Stephan" <outsyder"AT"canada.com> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    > Our file server has grown to about 400gb of data. Many Thousands of
    > files...A full backup takes forever to run through. What do you guys do
    > with your file servers? How do you back them up? Full Backup by
    > sections?
    > Any inputs, ideas appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stephan

    HI!
    We are using an IBM 3584 with Tivoli Storage Management. Dumping to disk
    and all transferring eventually to LTOs...Our FULL backups are sent directly
    to tape because of the size of the backups...Our daily incremental are sent
    to disk, then dumped to tapes during the day...

    It works great, but, for that many files and Gbs, it is taking hours to do a
    FULL (Monthly basis)...I think the problems is mostly the numbers of files
    instead of the size itself...

    Steph

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
    > What are you using to backup to?
    > If Tape is it DLT? LTO?
    >
    > DDS
    > "Stephan" <outsyder"AT"canada.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello.
    > > Our file server has grown to about 400gb of data. Many Thousands of
    > > files...A full backup takes forever to run through. What do you guys do
    > > with your file servers? How do you back them up? Full Backup by
    > > sections?
    > > Any inputs, ideas appreciated...
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Stephan

File Server File System Backup Microsoft Windows