Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
My system specs....

Well a short description to my PC.

Raidmax Samurai case
AMD 64 X2 4200+
Asus A8R-MVP crossfire mobo
1GB DDR 400Mhz ECC RAM
ATi HIS Radeon X1800XT 256 mb - only one in RSA (South Africa) that i have heard about. I imported from UK.(The HIS model)
Sony Dual layer DVD writer
120Gb HDD
Logitech Precision Gaming headset.
Microsoft Wireless mouse 5000
Standard keyboard
19" Acer AL1914 LCD monitor
17" Samsung Syncmaster 17GLi (secondary )
Labtec webcam.

Anyone have a simular PC config to this and how do you overclock it ?

I feel my PC should be faster than it is...
3D mark 2005
Score: 8947
Date: 2006-08-23
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 2205 MHz
GPU: ATI RADEON X1800
N/A / N/A
Res: 1024x768@32 bit

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2173831

Am i wrong and simply too greedy or can my pc be faster?

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Yes, you can OC w/o much trouble to 2400MHz-2600MHz.

I don’t have that particular MB but as a general rule to OC you raise the CPU clock speed in your Bio’s from its current 200MHz. If for example you raise it to 209MHz that would raise the CPU to 2300MHz (11 X 209), the 11 is you’re fixed (UP) CPU multiplier. You might be able to do that without making any other changes. But to go further you need to understand the following:
The three things that will be an impediment to how high you can raise the CPU speed is:
1. CPU core voltage or VCC. It’s set at 1.3v or 1.35v, but can and should be raised as needed for a stable CPU when OCing (I would not recommend exceeding 1.5v). Don’t raise it unless you system is not stable. All of this is done through the MB’s Bio’s, however some MB manufacturers have Windows software that allows some of this to be done through windows.
Also remember if you have C&Q enabled that can affect your test scores.

2. Your RAM. Your RAM gets its timing from your CPU, via dividers. If your CPU is running at stock speed, the RAM is running at 200MHz, its claimed 400MHz but that’s not the real cock speed. As you increase the CPU speed you also increase the RAM speed. On more expensive RAM that’s ok, but for most RAM you will start experiencing stability problems after only a few MHz CPU increases (+205MHz).
So you need to change the RAM divider to slow the RAM down and give you more head room to OC the CPU. Different MB's implement the RAM dividers differently; some use a fixed number representing different RAM timings; 433, 400, 366, 333, 266...). And some allow you pick a specific divider (ie. 6/5, 1/1, 5/6...). Check your MB doc’s for your implementation.

3. The system HTT (Hyper-transport Technology) Bus is also run off the CPU frequency and uses a divider (normally X5) and like RAM that is also selectable (5X, 4X...)

The general idea is to lower RAM and HTT dividers one notch down to allow higher CPU frequency (and at the same time RAM and HTT will increase as well).

All the while running tests to see if your CPU is stable. If not, you will need to raise the VCC voltage to the next step up.
A good program for checking system stability is called PRIME95, you can find it on the net. PRIME95 allows you to test both cores of your CPU, check the README on how to implement that. Run it for at least 2+ hrs, and I recommend 8+ hrs to ensure a rock stable system.

Also there are several stickys here in the forums that have even more detailed descriptions, so look around.

synthetix

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Well i did a calculated 5 % overclock on the system on my std cooling and it helped me break 9000 barrier in 3d mark 2005.
:twisted:
No all i need a is a monitor utility that will show cpu temp in taskbar since I havent found one yet.
I tried motherboard manager that came highly recommended by alot of people. But It doesnt support my motherboard model.
I have tried to use models that were close to same model but doesnt work...
Any other suggestions of some free monitor utils that I might wana try?
Also looking for simular util for my graphics card`s temp.

Thanks for advice , it helped alot ...
Now all i need it to be able to watch those temps... :roll:
92488-OC_specs.JPG

TRENDING THREADS