Major Computer Slowdown

This started recently and have not added any new programs or hardware. Have
done the following!
1. Have full time anti-virus and ran a deep check.
2. Ran WindowWasher, cleans all IE6 temp and history files.
3. Ran, Spybot SearchandDestroy, Spywareblaster, CWShreeder and AdAware SE.
4. Used WinTask Pro to see if a new start up program has been added.

Nothing has shown to be a problem. My computer has gone from a 30 sec
restart to a 2 min restart and then once loaded everything runs slow.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about major computer slowdown

    Forgot to mention, am using XP with SP1 and all updates.
    Have P4 1.6g, 512mb.

    "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
    > This started recently and have not added any new programs or hardware.
    Have
    > done the following!
    > 1. Have full time anti-virus and ran a deep check.
    > 2. Ran WindowWasher, cleans all IE6 temp and history files.
    > 3. Ran, Spybot SearchandDestroy, Spywareblaster, CWShreeder and AdAware
    SE.
    > 4. Used WinTask Pro to see if a new start up program has been added.
    >
    > Nothing has shown to be a problem. My computer has gone from a 30 sec
    > restart to a 2 min restart and then once loaded everything runs slow.
    >
    > Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
    > This started recently and have not added any new programs or hardware.
    > Have
    > done the following!
    > 1. Have full time anti-virus and ran a deep check.
    > 2. Ran WindowWasher, cleans all IE6 temp and history files.
    > 3. Ran, Spybot SearchandDestroy, Spywareblaster, CWShreeder and AdAware
    > SE.
    > 4. Used WinTask Pro to see if a new start up program has been added.
    >
    > Nothing has shown to be a problem. My computer has gone from a 30 sec
    > restart to a 2 min restart and then once loaded everything runs slow.
    >
    > Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

    Hello Dan,

    Run all your scans through safe mode. In safe mode all those programs wont
    be able to load, and then your scanners will be able to delete them
    properly.

    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

    Michael Ortega

    "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
    > This started recently and have not added any new programs or hardware.
    > Have
    > done the following!
    > 1. Have full time anti-virus and ran a deep check.
    > 2. Ran WindowWasher, cleans all IE6 temp and history files.
    > 3. Ran, Spybot SearchandDestroy, Spywareblaster, CWShreeder and AdAware
    > SE.
    > 4. Used WinTask Pro to see if a new start up program has been added.
    >
    > Nothing has shown to be a problem. My computer has gone from a 30 sec
    > restart to a 2 min restart and then once loaded everything runs slow.
    >
    > Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

    Downloaded and ran a trial copy of registryrescue, it states I have 348
    invalid registry entries.
    1. Can this slow my system down
    2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?
    "Michael Ortega" <randomjunkmail@astyrrian.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Dan,
    >
    > Run all your scans through safe mode. In safe mode all those programs
    wont
    > be able to load, and then your scanners will be able to delete them
    > properly.
    >
    > A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

    > Michael Ortega
    >
    > "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > This started recently and have not added any new programs or hardware.
    > > Have
    > > done the following!
    > > 1. Have full time anti-virus and ran a deep check.
    > > 2. Ran WindowWasher, cleans all IE6 temp and history files.
    > > 3. Ran, Spybot SearchandDestroy, Spywareblaster, CWShreeder and AdAware
    > > SE.
    > > 4. Used WinTask Pro to see if a new start up program has been added.
    > >
    > > Nothing has shown to be a problem. My computer has gone from a 30 sec
    > > restart to a 2 min restart and then once loaded everything runs slow.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

    Downloaded and ran a trial copy of registryrescue, it states I have 348
    invalid registry entries.
    1. Can this slow my system down
    2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?

    "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
    > This started recently and have not added any new programs or hardware.
    Have
    > done the following!
    > 1. Have full time anti-virus and ran a deep check.
    > 2. Ran WindowWasher, cleans all IE6 temp and history files.
    > 3. Ran, Spybot SearchandDestroy, Spywareblaster, CWShreeder and AdAware
    SE.
    > 4. Used WinTask Pro to see if a new start up program has been added.
    >
    > Nothing has shown to be a problem. My computer has gone from a 30 sec
    > restart to a 2 min restart and then once loaded everything runs slow.
    >
    > Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

    Through the course of work on a computer, installing and removing
    applications, etc. it is not unusual to end up with invalid entries in the
    registry. Unlike Windows 9x, I personally have seen no need to use registry
    cleaners nor any evidence of major slowdowns caused by such entries from
    normal use. If you've had viruses or malware of some type that you've had
    to clear from your system, it's possible they may have left entries that
    might be causing some problems but under normal use, I've rarely seen
    slowdowns caused by the registry. Your mileage may vary, some of it depends
    upon your usage, what you have installed, how recent are these applications
    as in are they XP apps or 9x apps or older apps which might gum up the
    registry.

    Is it safe to let a program like this fix all registry entries? It's not
    SAFE to let any such program make changes in the registry and it's not safe
    to be rooting around in the registry at all, period. Any time you do so,
    you should be well backed up and be prepared for a situation where your
    system becomes unbootable, in other words, some sort of means for a quick
    restore such as an image of your current setup to which you can quickly
    return.

    --

    > Downloaded and ran a trial copy of registryrescue, it states I have 348
    > invalid registry entries.
    > 1. Can this slow my system down
    > 2. Is it safe to let a program like this fix all the registry entries?
    >
    > "Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> This started recently and have not added any new programs or hardware.
    > Have
    >> done the following!
    >> 1. Have full time anti-virus and ran a deep check.
    >> 2. Ran WindowWasher, cleans all IE6 temp and history files.
    >> 3. Ran, Spybot SearchandDestroy, Spywareblaster, CWShreeder and AdAware
    > SE.
    >> 4. Used WinTask Pro to see if a new start up program has been added.
    >>
    >> Nothing has shown to be a problem. My computer has gone from a 30 sec
    >> restart to a 2 min restart and then once loaded everything runs slow.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Computers Windows XP