Which Drive Best for Page File?

Hello, all. I recently (March) upgraded our server (P4, few years old)
with a SCSI drive (no RAID) for improved reliability. We use one major
application for accounting and such and share quite a few files; I gave each
its own partition, and created a third of two gigs size for the page file.
The original IDE drive still has the OS and less-used files, all on one
partition (I didn't set it up!).
I've been getting write errors to the P: drive (page file partition on
the SCSI) on a weekly basis, and scandisk finds nothing. Is it a bad idea to
have my paging done on the more active drive? It is also the faster drive,
and either way the load on this machine is pretty minimal. Should I move it
to the IDE drive? I'm trying that now.
Also, can anyone recommend a better disk scanning program that will
verify for me that the hardware is or is not the problem? The SCSI adapter
has one, but I'd still like a good higher-level scanner.
Thank you,

- Jon
2 answers Last reply
More about which drive page file

    It is always a good idea to move the pagefile completely from the drive
    containing the OS. Partitioning for the pagefile, imho, came from the Unix
    world and doesn't have a place in the MS world. Setting the pagefile as
    static does the same thing as doing a partition. But that is a arguement for
    another day.

    The write errors are serious. I suspect you did not terminate the scsi bus
    correctly. This has all the signs of termination not turned off [jumper set]
    on the drive. You should have a active terminator at the end of the cable.

    The hd manu.site usually have a freely available disk checking utility

    "JonOfAllTrades" <JonOfAllTrades@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, all. I recently (March) upgraded our server (P4, few years
    old)
    > with a SCSI drive (no RAID) for improved reliability. We use one major
    > application for accounting and such and share quite a few files; I gave
    each
    > its own partition, and created a third of two gigs size for the page file.
    > The original IDE drive still has the OS and less-used files, all on one
    > partition (I didn't set it up!).
    > I've been getting write errors to the P: drive (page file partition
    on
    > the SCSI) on a weekly basis, and scandisk finds nothing. Is it a bad idea
    > have my paging done on the more active drive? It is also the faster
    drive,
    > and either way the load on this machine is pretty minimal. Should I move
    it
    > to the IDE drive? I'm trying that now.
    > Also, can anyone recommend a better disk scanning program that will
    > verify for me that the hardware is or is not the problem? The SCSI
    adapter
    > has one, but I'd still like a good higher-level scanner.
    > Thank you,
    >
    > - Jon

Partition Windows