C'n'Q/SpeedStep to stress the CPU?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I heared somewhere that C'n'Q/SpeedStep transitions with their frequent voltage and frequency changes put added stress on the CPU. True? Does it affect EM or mechanical aging in some way?

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I heared somewhere that C'n'Q/SpeedStep transitions with their frequent voltage and frequency changes put added stress on the CPU. True? Does it affect EM or mechanical aging in some way?

I dont think it would, or they wouldnt of made it

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I understand, it's just like wusy said, like for a car. However, my 3000+ is not going to live longer because the ASUS board kills it with 1.50V on load and 1.20V idle instead of 1.35/1.10 :lol:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
So you're saying that the bios 'decides' vcore, not the chipset?! I thought it was the chipset to do it (K8M800 family in my case). I have even heared that some boards add a margin on the stock vcore, kind of security from electromagnetic noise .
It must be the case with my board because I can not explain why it gives (on load and bios startup) 1.50v on the CPU; I have tested it undervolted to 1.25V even for 6 hours of rendering, where there were 33°C in my room and worked just fine... and 6°C cooler then on 1.50V.
My 3000+ could be a great OC-er but with this board :roll:
It only freezed once after tree 5-hour rendering sessions but it was on 1.15-1.20V and OC-ed @ 2.0Ghz but it could also have hapened in normal conditions.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Thanks for the advice; I had touched it but never thought seriously. Yuo're right, but the problem is one and simple: I don't live in the USA or anywhere else where I can sell it online. I'll just look around for a decent board to allow me squeeze 2.4-2.6G out of it. I'll be happy with that because I don't want to spend on a good cooler for the moment.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Even a low-tech country like NZ we have TradeMe.co.nz, nothing similar at where you live?
Or even if you don't sell that VIA board and just spend ~US$75, I think that price for what you'll be able to get out of that 3000+ is justified.

Oh and in case no-one has told you yet, I push for extreme levels of performance/$ and nicknamed as "Forum Cheap Arse" in the past. :wink:
(Hence overclocking and brand loyalty bashing are my special powers)
:D Agree; I am forced to a high performance/$ because with these prices I can start thinking of a new build after a year. Don't call NZ a low tech country man because I live in A L B A N I A. Here the prices are 2x-3x higher than US and what you approximate to $75 is no lower than $150 here. Maybe I wait for some relative from US coming here for the new year (that's how I got my current build) but that would be too late anyway and I'll rather get a X2 3800+ for $150 at that time.
Guess I am just cursed with this board and it's 20% OC for now :cry: