How to designate a folder as a drive D

I have a 40G drive with 3G used as drive C, Drive D is the CD rom. (I have
redesignated the CD as drive G.) My application requires the presence of a
Drive D hard disk to write data to. How can I create a new folder on C and
have windows 2000 regard it as a new drive D?

I recall that I could do this back in win95/98 but how do I do it in
win2000? The computer is not on a network. There is an ethernet card but no
network connection since the computer is in a remote trailer.

Many thanks,

Ian

From a command prompt;

net use D: \\pcname\C$\somepath
or
subst D: C:\somepath

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"chromian" wrote:
|I have a 40G drive with 3G used as drive C, Drive D is the CD rom. (I have
| redesignated the CD as drive G.) My application requires the presence of
| Drive D hard disk to write data to. How can I create a new folder on C and
| have windows 2000 regard it as a new drive D?
|
| I recall that I could do this back in win95/98 but how do I do it in
| win2000? The computer is not on a network. There is an ethernet card but
no
| network connection since the computer is in a remote trailer.
|
| Many thanks,
|
| Ian

That worked! Thanks a lot. Ian

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> From a command prompt;
>
> net use D: \\pcname\C$\somepath
> or
> subst D: C:\somepath
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "chromian" wrote:
> |I have a 40G drive with 3G used as drive C, Drive D is the CD rom. (I have
> | redesignated the CD as drive G.) My application requires the presence of
> | Drive D hard disk to write data to. How can I create a new folder on C and
> | have windows 2000 regard it as a new drive D?
> |
> | I recall that I could do this back in win95/98 but how do I do it in
> | win2000? The computer is not on a network. There is an ethernet card but
> no
> | network connection since the computer is in a remote trailer.
> |
> | Many thanks,
> |
> | Ian

You're welcome.

--

"chromian" wrote:
| That worked! Thanks a lot. Ian

Dave, I found that the Subst command was temporary and the drive D
disappeared after a reboot. So I wrote a batch file and invoked it in the run
section of the registry and this fixed the problem.
Am I missing something. Is there some other step I should have taken to make
the subst happen every time?
Thanks

ian

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "chromian" wrote:
> | That worked! Thanks a lot. Ian

No that was correct. subst doesn't survive a boot. From the 'Run' keys or
startup directories.

--

chromian wrote:

> Dave, I found that the Subst command was temporary and the drive D
> disappeared after a reboot. So I wrote a batch file and invoked it in the run
> section of the registry and this fixed the problem.
> Am I missing something. Is there some other step I should have taken to make
> the subst happen every time?

You can make it permanent, survive reboot and even happen before any
user logs in, by adding a value under the registry key
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices". The
name of the value should be e.g. D: and the value data should be e.g.
\??\C:\somepath. Note that because it is native paths you need \??\
before the drive letter path.

--
Olof Lagerkvist sm6xmk
ICQ: 724451 @ssa.se

Good one! Thanks Olof.

--

"Olof Lagerkvist" wrote:
| You can make it permanent, survive reboot and even happen before any
| user logs in, by adding a value under the registry key
| "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices". The
| name of the value should be e.g. D: and the value data should be e.g.
| \??\C:\somepath. Note that because it is native paths you need \??\
| before the drive letter path.
|
| --
| Olof Lagerkvist sm6xmk
| ICQ: 724451 @ssa.se
| Web: http://here.is/olof

Thanks Gentlemen, I will try that also.
Ian

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Good one! Thanks Olof.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Olof Lagerkvist" wrote:
> | You can make it permanent, survive reboot and even happen before any
> | user logs in, by adding a value under the registry key
> | "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices". The
> | name of the value should be e.g. D: and the value data should be e.g.
> | \??\C:\somepath. Note that because it is native paths you need \??\
> | before the drive letter path.
> |
> | --
> | Olof Lagerkvist sm6xmk
> | ICQ: 724451 @ssa.se
> | Web: http://here.is/olof

Thanks. Olof's solutions was elegant and worked great. Ian