• Sound Cards
  • Speakers
  • Hard Drives
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 6, 2006 9:38:48 AM

Hi there,

Strange problem.
I have a desktop PC from www.cube247.co.uk which is pretty high spec. I have a Creative Audigy 4 Sound Card, Creative 5.1 Speakers, ASUS A8R-MVP mobo, 2 250GB Seagate Harddrives in RAID 0. All the components in the system are high end.

Initially it was just when I first logged into windows when the Pc had booted up - I get a lot of loud crackling and popping when it plays the windows intro noise ("da, da da, da da"! *crackles!*). Cube tech support said it would be drivers loading at startup. I could deal with that.

Now it has got worse. Now - im fairly sure - when the HDD is under heavy/full access load - e.g. when loading levels on game such as BF2 - the crackles and pops also occur there. I guess it may be because I have started to fill my new HDD up more and more, the problem gets worse. Its not the speakers as I have plugged headphones directly into the sound card.

I have upgraded drivers on sound card to latest and the SATA RAID controller too, but not the mobo BIOS (it wont let me for some reason but Cube tech support says it wouldnt change much as my bios already pretty up to date).

JUST CHECKED - Both SATA/RAID and Creative Audigy 4 on same IRQ (PCI 19) - thought that might help!

So...any ideas on a solution?

Thanks
NevyNev

More about : speakers crackling start hdd heavy load

September 7, 2006 11:37:36 AM

Having read a few other posts some recommended changing the PCI slot of the sound card so it gets a different IRQ.

I literally just powered off, swapped soudcard (on the lowest to the ground PCI slot) with a USB/Firewire PCI card (in the PCI slot above). However upon reboot no sound card was recognised.

Do I have to reinstall one/each in some way? What exact course of action do I have to take and will this change the IRQ of my Sound Card/Fix the crackle.

Is there a differnet/ easier way of changing the IRQs (safely!)?

Thanks
NevyNev
September 7, 2006 11:56:05 AM

Here's what I'd try, based on what I've read and my own experience.

1. Make sure any onboard sound is disabled in the bios and that its drivers are removed from Windows
2. Un-install the desired soundcard, completely, in Windows.
3. Move it to a different slot
4. Re-install the card with the latest drivers for the desired soundcard available on th web

According to your post, you've already done step #3. If you haven't already try completeing 1,2, & 4. There's other things but I'd start with that.

With the IRQs is your bios setup to allows Windows to manage them or is the bios managing them?
Related resources
September 7, 2006 12:28:24 PM

Thanks...

1. Disabled it in BIOS. It is an ASUS mobo - what do I do to completely remove the drivers for this onboard audio? Just control panel > add/remove or through hardware manager?
2. Again do I just control panel > add/remove or through hardware manager, or what else?
3. Does the slot matter - I haven't got much choice - I've crossfire mobo so there are only two or three non graphics card PCI slots.
4. Will this just be a driver download / software of the creative website (Audigy 4)?

I think the BIOS might manage the IRQs but, it seems, I can't manage what compenent/PCI slot is on which IRQ. If this was possible what would the menu look like? The mobo is ASUS A8R MVP which might tell you more. It was all setup by cube247 so I don't know THAT much about it but hopefully enough to solve this!

Thanks
Nev
September 7, 2006 2:03:45 PM

Quote:

It is an ASUS mobo - what do I do to completely remove the drivers for this onboard audio? Just control panel > add/remove or through hardware manager?

I'm not able to check my Asus-mobo'd rig this moment but I think you should be able to remove the drivers via control panel. If you still see references in the Device Mangler in for the onboard sound try disabling them. That should be safe and is easily reversible if necessary.

Quote:

3. Does the slot matter - I haven't got much choice - I've crossfire mobo so there are only two or three non graphics card PCI slots.

I think I recall that PCI slots 1 or 2 are the desired slots. I'd use #1 if available.

Quote:

4. Will this just be a driver download / software of the creative website (Audigy 4)?

Yes, I believe it will. You'll want the leanest set of drivers you can use, especially while troubleshooting. ...and that is what you should get when you download the latest from Creative. Here's the link (assuming WinXP Pro):

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download2.asp?...

Quote:

I think the BIOS might manage the IRQs but, it seems, I can't manage what compenent/PCI slot is on which IRQ. If this was possible what would the menu look like? The mobo is ASUS A8R MVP which might tell you more. It was all setup by cube247 so I don't know THAT much about it but hopefully enough to solve this!

Hmmm...it may have been better to allow Windows (assuming WinXP) manage the IRQs. Try changing that setting before you physically re-install the soundcard in a different PCI slot. I believe you'll be safe in doing so and it may make a positive difference.
September 7, 2006 3:10:52 PM

I, however, have windows XP home - what does that change?

Also How do I tell which ones are PCI slots 1 & 2? Device manager says Creative Audigy 4 sound card is on "PCI bus 2, device 18, function 0" at the mo.

In the BIOS I have disabled on board audio which was called "HD Audio Device" - not very descriptive- what should I look for when unistalling HD audio drivers - in add/remove it lists "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111" but that seems to be the only relevamt thing - but it is produced by Microsoft Corp.

Thanks
Nev
September 7, 2006 5:59:33 PM

Quote:

Also How do I tell which ones are PCI slots 1 & 2? Device manager says Creative Audigy 4 sound card is on "PCI bus 2, device 18, function 0" at the mo.

In the BIOS I have disabled on board audio which was called "HD Audio Device" - not very descriptive- what should I look for when unistalling HD audio drivers - in add/remove it lists "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111" but that seems to be the only relevamt thing - but it is produced by Microsoft Corp.

Thanks
Nev

I believe the "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111" is the item you'd want to get out of there...scary, but likely true. ...and I think, I'm not too bright so don't trust me too much, ....but I believe PCI slot #1 will be the first one on your left when looking down at the motheroboard with the back-panel connectors facing away from you. If the card was in slot #2, try moving it to slot #1.
September 7, 2006 6:02:12 PM

pci slot 1 is closest to the agp/pci-e slot and they go up towards the edge of the board.
Under device manger set the component to disable. Do not select uninstall as windows will redetect it and load the drivers on the next boot.
If the device is disabled in the bios then it wont show up at all in windows.
As far as drivers are concerned, it depends on how they were installed. If windows detected and installed the drivers you wont see any thing. If they were manually installed then there should be an uninstall program.

The high definition audio driver package kb888111 should be the one you need to uninstall, unless that was just an update.
September 7, 2006 6:59:43 PM

Aaaah, I got the slot numberings backwards.
September 7, 2006 7:02:23 PM

Quote:

...just saw that. It doesn't change anything, same drivers.
September 9, 2006 12:00:27 PM

Follow the instructions given and problems solved - no crackling at startup or HDD under heavy load. OH yeah!

Also cleaned out registry with TuneUp - found I could disable "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111" using their startup pograms editor (it didnt appear in MSCONFIG).

Thanks for all the help, especially Halcyon.

Cheers
NevyNev
September 9, 2006 1:25:42 PM

Next time, be cautious about buying PCs from eBay :p 

At least, thats where I have heard of these guys before. And like most eBay sellers they have a bit of a rep for a complete lack of after-sale care, as exlemplified by your 'drivers are loading' fob-off
September 9, 2006 2:47:24 PM

Actually Cube247 (www.cube247.co.uk) are not ebay based - just sell there. They are a great company, use the best componenets (corsair, seagate, asus etc) at very reasonable prices. They're support was very helpful when I called up and they suggested a couple of solutions but after they couldn't help over the phone I would have had to sent it in - fortunately I got help from people here first. They are the best PC company I have ever used and am very happy with them and their product - an honest company I'd say- if you ask for their opinion on something they'll tell you the truth. I'd happily and will buy off them again and would put them above other companys. I previously had a laptop from Fujitsu - worst ever and after 3 months of ridiculous phone calls I eventually got a full refund. Bought this machine for same money and with twice the power.
Chuffed!
NevyNev
September 11, 2006 7:45:24 PM

Quote:
Follow the instructions given and problems solved - no crackling at startup or HDD under heavy load. OH yeah!

Also cleaned out registry with TuneUp - found I could disable "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111" using their startup pograms editor (it didnt appear in MSCONFIG).

Thanks for all the help, especially Halcyon.

Cheers
NevyNev

You're quite welcome. Happy hunt'n.
!