How can you fast file copies ?

hassan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Using robocopy to copy files across and using a Gig network card. Our files
are huge , maybe around 100GB each and want to know if there are any ways to
speed up the process.. Using Windows 2003

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

If there is any latency, use ftp and not SMB. With two machines 4000km apart
I can saturate a 155Mbit WAN link using ftp between two Linux boxes. The
best I can get with Robocopy between two Windows machines in the same
locations is about 20-25% utilisation, and that's after extensive tuning of
the TCP/IP parameters. With the default settings out of the box we got about
9% utilisation.

Nick

"Hassan" <fatima_ja@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using robocopy to copy files across and using a Gig network card. Our
> files
> are huge , maybe around 100GB each and want to know if there are any ways
> speed up the process.. Using Windows 2003

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

If you're transferring a lot of files, try QFX instead of FTP. Much lower
overhead, but you have to know the names of the files. QFX uses security
through obscurity. You can't get a directory listing, but there's nothing
faster - it'll saturate the stack.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_