X1900XTX and a good 3rd party cooler??

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
So, my question is thus:

Which is the best 3rd party cooler for a X1900XTX?

I have the Zalman VF900 CU in mind aswell as the Accelero X2.

Problem is, Zalman I can get in South Africa, Arctic Cooling not, and the X2 seems the best bet.

Anyone with input into this will be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking for a cooler thats a.) much quiter than the stock cooler AND b.) damn efficient. Air cooling is the only option for me.

Thanx

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
get the accelero X2, i read a review where they compared a whole bunch of vga coolers, and the X2 was consistantly a few degrees lower the the zalman and only half the price!

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
My air flow is good, I rarely go above 75C on the gpu, but that's with a fan speed of 64-68%.

Seems as though the accelero X2 is the best option, problem is that it's not sold in SA. So I'll have to search for a seller that can ship it to me... Hint... :lol:

With the X2, is mem cooling worse off or better than the stock? No use using a fine gpu cooler and the mem is running hot. I see the X2 does cover the mem, but how good is it?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The X2 performs about as well as the stock cooler at full speed (which is excellent, by the way) the main difference is that the X2 doesn't sound like a leaf blower. And, yes, it attaches to the memory through thermal pads.

Kenyada

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
My air flow is good, I rarely go above 75C on the gpu, but that's with a fan speed of 64-68%.

Seems as though the accelero X2 is the best option, problem is that it's not sold in SA. So I'll have to search for a seller that can ship it to me... Hint... :lol:

With the X2, is mem cooling worse off or better than the stock? No use using a fine gpu cooler and the mem is running hot. I see the X2 does cover the mem, but how good is it?

If your case airflow is good, the X2 will present no problem. My Lian Li V1200 case provides enough intake and exhaust airflow - both active and passive. Of course, the shape of the X2 (the way in which it juts out beyond the shape of the X1900XTX) makes case size (depth) matter.

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
sruane, the X2 quite a bit better then stock cooler if you 1) install it correctly
2) good thermal compound 3) good case air flow. it can make a good 10-20 degrees difference depending on case flow.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
sruane, the X2 quite a bit better then stock cooler if you 1) install it correctly
2) good thermal compound 3) good case air flow. it can make a good 10-20 degrees difference depending on case flow.

prove it.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

prove it.

Prove it? LOL noob.

I have the X2 as well so I can vouch for this statement. The X2 alone dropped my load temps by 20c and idle temps by 10c.

Prove it. All the reviews I've read published by reputable sites using actual data (not emotional assumptions) have shown no difference other than a reduction in noise. If your results were different, then prove it - set up a controlled test, take measurements and publish your results. These shcoolyard "Mine's Bigger" statements are meaningless.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I tend to be of opinion that the the X2 is probably the better cooler around. Not that I have had it, but most other solutions don't provide sufficient cooling to the memory.

Besides that, if I can reduce the temps a bit more than what I'm currently getting - it will be a bonus. I just want the noise to go away! :roll: We're hitting summer here in South Africa, so my temps are already 4C up.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I've got a Sytrin KuFormula VF1-Plus.

The performance is astonishing - my X1800XT is now 20C lower at load than on the stock vacuum cleaner (and this is on the lowest, whisper-quiet fan setting)

Check out this review:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/04/14/is_the_kuformula_vf1_plus_the_formula_for_graphics_cooling_uk/

And for a comparison of the latest heat-pipe coolers, go here:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/08/30/vga_heat_pipe_cooler_roundup_2006_uk/

The Sytrin comes out best here. Oh, and it's dirt cheap :)