Your question

CPU fan for P4 and Core 2 Duo?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Compatibility
Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2006 11:55:40 AM

I'm looking to buy a new CPU fan for my exsisting P4 (478) and i also want it to be compatible with the Core 2 Duo ill buy in several months.
So, I want to know wich is the best CPU fan that will let me do that - the most quite and the one that will let me overclock the most.

Thnx.

More about : cpu fan core duo

September 6, 2006 1:36:34 PM

Any good Cu-Al ThermalTake of Zalman cooler will do. Copper heatsinks are the best air cooling solutions but have the downsite of weight and motherboard stressing.
But all your measures for the CPU will be useless if you don't have a good case; should have optimal ventilation and be silent.
September 6, 2006 5:00:14 PM

Quote:
Any good Cu-Al ThermalTake of Zalman cooler will do. Copper heatsinks are the best air cooling solutions but have the downsite of weight and motherboard stressing.
But all your measures for the CPU will be useless if you don't have a good case; should have optimal ventilation and be silent.

Ive looked at Zalman's site, it says 775 but not Core 2 Duo, only Pentium D.
Sure, its possible they havnt added it yet, but i need to buy it now.

And i didnt think abt that, how do u tilt ur PC vertically with a giant heatsink/fan? its 10" tall and weighs over 2 lbs.

I think ill just get the 7700 from Zalman, cause im not sure if the 9500 will be compatible with my Core 2 Duo, and its cheaper wich close to the same performance.
Related resources
September 6, 2006 5:32:39 PM

The sythe Mine & Ninja are also good. I have the Mine and it keeps my e6600 nice and cool whilst almost silent. They also come with fittings for AMD, 478 & 775 sockets.

Link
September 6, 2006 6:03:57 PM

Quote:
The sythe Mine & Ninja are also good. I have the Mine and it keeps my e6600 nice and cool whilst almost silent. They also come with fittings for AMD, 478 & 775 sockets.

Link

Your just the guy to answer my quesion.. why didnt u?

Anyway, how do u sit ur PC case up vertically? I mean the cooler's heatsink is so huge and probably weighs over a kilogram.. it would just fall off and kill ur CPU, right?
Im also thinking of getting an E6600, i mean anyone who gets the E6400 obviously knows nothing abt CPUs, am i right?
September 6, 2006 6:12:15 PM

Hehe sorry didn't notice it.

It weighs about 550 grams and nearly all of that is at the "bottom" near to the board so it does not put undue strain on the mountings. The huge cooling array plus fan are very light but you do need a wide case to get it to fit with the side on.
September 6, 2006 9:35:45 PM

Looks OK but 100gr above intel's specs.
@ TrackIt's only that they haven't updated the site yet to include Conroes but if it cools a Pentium4 EE and AMD FX-62, should be OK.
The 7000 series is within intels specification of 450g, I'm not pushging for a Zalman but woulg advice you to go for something within it.
September 7, 2006 5:16:50 PM

So where exactly is it documented that the Intel doesn't recommend anything over 450 grams on the C2D? Everyone here always speaks of the the Scythe Ninja Plus but that weighs 615 grams and 815 grams with the fan. That's almost double the tolerance. Hell the Scythe Infinity weighs 960 grams (w/fan).

Should I really be concern about this extreme weight? Especially since most mid-tower case have the moterboard veritcal so the the CPU Fan is sideways?
September 7, 2006 6:15:20 PM

Quote:
Looks OK but 100gr above intel's specs.
@ TrackIt's only that they haven't updated the site yet to include Conroes but if it cools a Pentium4 EE and AMD FX-62, should be OK.
The 7000 series is within intels specification of 450g, I'm not pushging for a Zalman but woulg advice you to go for something within it.

What are chances that they have not? These are brand new products and Core 2 Duo compatibility would seem like a big selling point for high-end coolers.

The thing is, that i want the BEST cooler for my Core 2 Duo, so im going to spend a lot right now for that cooler. Or should i just buy an OK one right now and wait for something better?

What is the BEST CPU cooler that dosent use water? I want to overclock my Core 2 Duo around 800Mhz.
September 7, 2006 7:06:16 PM

After 5 minutes maxed out on both cores o'ced to 3.1 Ghz or 700mhz over clock. Pretty modest by C2D standards but my board has BIOS issues with memory and overclocking. Once Abit lift a finger and sort the BIOS I recon Im good for 3.5-3.8

Ps.
Idle temps @3.1

Uguru 32c
Core Temp 37/35c

[edit: can't count 700mhz oc not 600 :)  ]
September 7, 2006 7:16:43 PM

Quote:
So where exactly is it documented that the Intel doesn't recommend anything over 450 grams on the C2D? Everyone here always speaks of the the Scythe Ninja Plus but that weighs 615 grams and 815 grams with the fan. That's almost double the tolerance. Hell the Scythe Infinity weighs 960 grams (w/fan).

Should I really be concern about this extreme weight? Especially since most mid-tower case have the moterboard veritcal so the the CPU Fan is sideways?

If you read carefully ther specifications of the Zalman 7000 serisethey mention it there.
September 7, 2006 7:36:51 PM

My last post was an attempt to show you that you dont need "the best" cooler.
Any High spec cooling kit will allow you to get to 3.2Ghz with ease without cooking anything. You could even use the stock cooler for that though it would make a lot more noise.
September 7, 2006 7:38:49 PM

I read te following C2D Datasheet on the Intel site.

"The boxed processor fan heatsink will not weigh more than 450 grams"

"The boxed processor thermal module assembly for Type I BTX will not weigh more than 1200 grams"

So I think this is saying the stock heat sink/fan weighs 450 grams but the limit is up to 1200 grams? What do you think?
September 7, 2006 8:36:42 PM

Quote:
My last post was an attempt to show you that you dont need "the best" cooler.
Any High spec cooling kit will allow you to get to 3.2Ghz with ease without cooking anything. You could even use the stock cooler for that though it would make a lot more noise.

Yeh, but i still dont get how u can get that fan verticaly.
I mean the Mine is 560g, but the Ninja is 810g. There is no way anything above 200g could possible not fall, and i dont want to keep having to look at my PC case in fear. How does it actually work?
September 8, 2006 12:49:19 AM

Quote:
I mean the Mine is 560g, but the Ninja is 810g. There is no way anything above 200g could possible not fall, and i dont want to keep having to look at my PC case in fear. How does it actually work?

Look, there's no prob with the weight, really. Like Scooby2 said, these coolers have a very low centre of gravity & are studied with its purpose in mind, obviously. Some even have a backplate for increased security. Unless ill mounted, all these coolers are safe, no-matter how heavy they are. The choice is yours, of course, where specs are concerned.

Cheers!
September 8, 2006 1:27:40 PM

Quote:

Look, there's no prob with the weight, really. Like Scooby2 said, these coolers have a very low centre of gravity & are studied with its purpose in mind, obviously. Some even have a backplate for increased security. Unless ill mounted, all these coolers are safe, no-matter how heavy they are. The choice is yours, of course, where specs are concerned.

Cheers!

Look, that makes no sense. You cannot put an infinetely heavy cooler, being so tall. The center of gravity is low because the heatpipes originate from the bottom, wich is also pretty heavy, and so in comparison the rest of the very tall heatsink isnt as heavy, but its still metal and its at least half of the weight.
Plus ive never seen a heatsink that tall and that weighs that much in a case that is tipped vertically. Every test bed for every review and benchmark ive seen, even those centered around the cooler itself have the motherboard tipped horizontally, wich makes sence.
September 8, 2006 2:27:45 PM

dear god man, you asked for a good air cooling solution for a core 2 duo and they gave you one and now your arguing their point, why did you even ask in the first place...

the dang coolers are fine if mounted correctly, don't worry if you do what the instructions say...
September 8, 2006 2:43:51 PM

Heavy coolers all have some mechanism to secure themselves over the CPU. This usually involves screwing in the sides against a metallic backplate behind your motherboard. The heat sinks are intended to be mounted on a vertical motherboard. The only time you should worry about them breaking your motherboard is when shipping your computer, when you should either ensure that the cushioned computer be laid flat, or secure the HSF within the case with additional support.

Scythe Ninja and Infinity are both near the top of air coolers (Tuniq Tower 120 being the best, but out of stock everywhere), but the biggest factor is how careful you are installing them. That includes cleaning the mating surfaces, applying the right thermal compound, and positioning the HSF properly as you press down to secure the sides.
September 8, 2006 3:29:30 PM

Quote:

Look, that makes no sense. You cannot put an infinetely heavy cooler, being so tall.

Ok, then.
Take a few miles of thin copper wire with a flat, shiny surface at one end, perpendicular to it; take a nice walk around a few blocks & spead the copper thread on the ground. Return home & glue the flat surface to your CPU; see if it falls down; if not, there you have it: I don't know about the efficiency but you've got yourself a half a ton (you do the maths) copper cooler laid out perpendicularly to your vertical mainboard.
If you prefer an "infinitely" big one, try NASA or ESA: I'm sure they've got fair discounts for an extra shot into outer space...

Cheers!
September 9, 2006 11:40:47 AM

Quote:
dear god man, you asked for a good air cooling solution for a core 2 duo and they gave you one and now your arguing their point, why did you even ask in the first place...

the dang coolers are fine if mounted correctly, don't worry if you do what the instructions say...

Well, its bothering me.
Maybe it was made for a horizontally mounted case, it seems like its not meant to be positioned vertically.
What if i position the motherboard up-side down, will the heatsink fall off then?
!