Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Missing security tab

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 20, 2005 10:54:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

When I right click a folder and choose properties, I have a missing security
tab.

This applies to any folder on the machine - and I need to change permissions
for a certain folder.

I can't work out why this is. The computer is part of a domain but I can't
see any policies that would restrict access to this tab.

Thanks

More about : missing security tab

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 20, 2005 3:25:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Fat32 file system or NTFS?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 20, 2005 6:06:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:54:05 -0700, SAX <SAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I right click a folder and choose properties, I have a missing security
>tab.
>
>This applies to any folder on the machine - and I need to change permissions
>for a certain folder.
>
>I can't work out why this is. The computer is part of a domain but I can't
>see any policies that would restrict access to this tab.
>
>Thanks


If the file system is NOT NTFS, you will have no Security tab.
See the following tips in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

JSI Tip 8606. The Security tab is missing when I open a users Properties in Active Directory Users and Computers?
....Security tab is missing when I open a users Properties in Active Directory Users and Computers? To enable the Security tab in the User Name Properties dialog: 1. Open the Active Directory Users...3. When you open a user's Properties , it
will contain the Security tab. NOTE: See How do I apply access control permissions to Active Directory...
Similar pages

JSI Tip 7279. The Security tab is missing from your Windows XP Professional Properties dialog?
....Security tab is missing from your Windows XP Professional Properties dialog? When you right-click a file...computer that uses the NTFS file system, you expect to see a Security tab. If your computer is NOT joined to a domain, and the
Use...(Recommended) box is checked on the Tools / Folder Options / View tab, you are presented with the Simple File Sharing UI instead of the classic Security and Sharing tabs...
Similar pages

JSI Tip 0745. Missing the Security tab on files and folders in a share?
Missing the Security tab on files and folders in a share? If you have mapped a...
Similar pages

JSI Tip 6627. The Security and/or other tabs are missing in Windows 2000 or Windows NT?
....Security and/or other tabs are missing in Windows 2000 or Windows NT? When you use Windows Explorer or...right-click a folder and press Properties , on an NTFS volume, the Security tab and/or other tabs are missing? If you uninstalled a
3rd party application which modified the registry so...1. Copy / Paste the following to a Folder_Context.reg file: REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1F2E5C40-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}] @="Security Shell Extension"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1F2E5C40-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}\InProcServer32] @="rshx32.dll" "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{1F2E5C40-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}] 2. Merge the Folder_Context.reg file with...

JSI Tip 6270. When you access a file on a SIS (Single Instance Store) volume, you receive 'Access is Denied'?
....Denied . When you right-click the file and press Properties , the Security tab is missing, only the General tab is available. This behavior will occur if the Read-Only attribute is set...

JSI Tip 6265. 'Outlook Express removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your email: <filename1>, <filename2>'?
....Attachments on the File menu is NOT available, the Attach field is missing from the message, and you receive the subject message in the alert...On the Outlook Express Tools menu, Press Options . 2. On the Security tab, clear the Do not
allow attachments to be saved or opened that...

JSI Tip 7894. New folders appear that do not belong in your FTP file structure, and you cannot delete them?
..... When you try to view the Properties of these folders, the Security tab is missing. These new folders have names similar to: Com1 Lpt1 Con PRN This...
Related resources
May 21, 2005 7:25:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

"Joshua Bolton" wrote:

> Fat32 file system or NTFS?

The file system is NTFS
May 21, 2005 7:38:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:54:05 -0700, SAX <SAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I right click a folder and choose properties, I have a missing security
> >tab.
> >

Thanks for the reply - I think JSI tip 6627 could be the answer - I'll try
it on Monday.


> >This applies to any folder on the machine - and I need to change permissions
> >for a certain folder.
> >
> >I can't work out why this is. The computer is part of a domain but I can't
> >see any policies that would restrict access to this tab.
> >
> >Thanks
>
>
> If the file system is NOT NTFS, you will have no Security tab.
> See the following tips in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
>
> JSI Tip 8606. The Security tab is missing when I open a users Properties in Active Directory Users and Computers?
> ....Security tab is missing when I open a users Properties in Active Directory Users and Computers? To enable the Security tab in the User Name Properties dialog: 1. Open the Active Directory Users...3. When you open a user's Properties , it
> will contain the Security tab. NOTE: See How do I apply access control permissions to Active Directory...
> Similar pages
>
> JSI Tip 7279. The Security tab is missing from your Windows XP Professional Properties dialog?
> ....Security tab is missing from your Windows XP Professional Properties dialog? When you right-click a file...computer that uses the NTFS file system, you expect to see a Security tab. If your computer is NOT joined to a domain, and the
> Use...(Recommended) box is checked on the Tools / Folder Options / View tab, you are presented with the Simple File Sharing UI instead of the classic Security and Sharing tabs...
> Similar pages
>
> JSI Tip 0745. Missing the Security tab on files and folders in a share?
> Missing the Security tab on files and folders in a share? If you have mapped a...
> Similar pages
>
> JSI Tip 6627. The Security and/or other tabs are missing in Windows 2000 or Windows NT?
> ....Security and/or other tabs are missing in Windows 2000 or Windows NT? When you use Windows Explorer or...right-click a folder and press Properties , on an NTFS volume, the Security tab and/or other tabs are missing? If you uninstalled a
> 3rd party application which modified the registry so...1. Copy / Paste the following to a Folder_Context.reg file: REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1F2E5C40-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}] @="Security Shell Extension"
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1F2E5C40-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}\InProcServer32] @="rshx32.dll" "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{1F2E5C40-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}] 2. Merge the Folder_Context.reg file with...
>
> JSI Tip 6270. When you access a file on a SIS (Single Instance Store) volume, you receive 'Access is Denied'?
> ....Denied . When you right-click the file and press Properties , the Security tab is missing, only the General tab is available. This behavior will occur if the Read-Only attribute is set...
>
> JSI Tip 6265. 'Outlook Express removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your email: <filename1>, <filename2>'?
> ....Attachments on the File menu is NOT available, the Attach field is missing from the message, and you receive the subject message in the alert...On the Outlook Express Tools menu, Press Options . 2. On the Security tab, clear the Do not
> allow attachments to be saved or opened that...
>
> JSI Tip 7894. New folders appear that do not belong in your FTP file structure, and you cannot delete them?
> ..... When you try to view the Properties of these folders, the Security tab is missing. These new folders have names similar to: Com1 Lpt1 Con PRN This...
>
>
!