I'm running winxp pro and have 2 drives, c and d. When I try to run chkdsk I
get a message that some files cannot be accessed and it asks me if I want to
run chkdsk on the next startup. I restart but it doesn't do a chkdsk.
Could someone offer any ideas? tia.
Dexter

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Dexter Que" <dexterq62@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running winxp pro and have 2 drives, c and d. When I try to run
> chkdsk I
> get a message that some files cannot be accessed and it asks me if I
> want to
> run chkdsk on the next startup. I restart but it doesn't do a chkdsk.
> Could someone offer any ideas? tia.
> Dexter

When it asks if you want to run CHKDSK on the next boot, do you say Yes?
Did you actually specify either the /R or /F command-line switches so
CHKDSK will actually perform repairs?

You could boot into Recovery Console mode and run "CHKDSK /R" from
there.

I do say yes when it asks me to run CHKDSK at next boot, but it doesn't run.
I've tried to start in safemode but it freezes. I didn't notice it asking
about /R or /F command line switches.

How do I boot into recovery console? Do I boot from my XP disk? Then what?

>I do say yes when it asks me to run CHKDSK at next boot, but it doesn't
>run.
> I've tried to start in safemode but it freezes. I didn't notice it
> asking
> about /R or /F command line switches.
>
> How do I boot into recovery console? Do I boot from my XP disk? Then
> what?
>
> Dexter

Start -> Help and Support gives info on how to install the Recovery
Console as a boot option or how to run it from the install CD. If you
don't want to install it (and load it from the hard drive), boot using
Windows XP install CD and select the Repair option which will boot into
Recovery Console mode (see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307654).

Running just "CHKDSK" only performs read operations on your disk. If
there are errors, they won't get fixed. If you want errors, if any, to
get fixed that are found then you need to include the /R or /F
command-line switch. Run "CHKDSK /?" for help on command syntax and
available switches.