2003 system event log corrupt

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Dave

It pops up a message saying "The event log file is corrupt" when I try to
view the system log. When I ok this it leaves a red x on the system part of
event viewer along with "there are no items to show in this view." The
serurity & application logs are ok.

Chris.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What makes you think corruption?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Chris" wrote:
> | How do I fix this on 2003 server,
> | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172156 did replace
> | the file but it is still corrupt?

I think you're right. I would delete the file again. Control
Panel|Administrative Tools|Services|Event Log Service|General, set the
"Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then delete (or move) the
corrupt *.evt file(s) from %windir%\system32\config then set the Event Log
Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect.

--

"Chris" wrote:
| Hi Dave
|
| It pops up a message saying "The event log file is corrupt" when I try to
| view the system log. When I ok this it leaves a red x on the system part
of
| event viewer along with "there are no items to show in this view." The
| serurity & application logs are ok.
|
| Chris.

I just found out that a network interface running half duplex can cause
this. The temp fix is to set it up as full duplex.

--

"Chris" wrote:
| Hi Dave
|
| It pops up a message saying "The event log file is corrupt" when I try to
| view the system log. When I ok this it leaves a red x on the system part
of
| event viewer along with "there are no items to show in this view." The
| serurity & application logs are ok.
|
| Chris.

When I read http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258750 it tells me:

"Microsoft recommends that you set all the devices on that path of 10 MB/Sec
and Half Duplex."

Maybe add this little piece of practical information to this article?

By the way, it worked for me, changing the heartbeat NIC to full duplex.

Weird stuff...

"Dave Patrick" schreef:

> I just found out that a network interface running half duplex can cause
> this. The temp fix is to set it up as full duplex.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Chris" wrote:
> | Hi Dave
> |
> | It pops up a message saying "The event log file is corrupt" when I try to
> | view the system log. When I ok this it leaves a red x on the system part
> of
> | event viewer along with "there are no items to show in this view." The
> | serurity & application logs are ok.
> |
> | Chris.

Glad to hear it helped you. Apparently this issue was introduced with
Windows 2003 SP1. Don't know yet but I expect a hotfix will be forthcoming.

--

=?Utf-8?B?WmVlenVpcGVy?= Wrote:
> When I read http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258750 it tells me:
>
> "Microsoft recommends that you set all the devices on that path of 10
> MB/Sec
> and Half Duplex."
>
> Maybe add this little piece of practical information to this article?
>
> By the way, it worked for me, changing the heartbeat NIC to full
> duplex.
>
> Weird stuff...

Yeah, I echo this, got the same problem after following Microsoft's
recommendation for cluster setup. Thanks Dave!

--
geirhaldPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

This didn't work for use is there any other solutions? We had the NIC set to
half duplex we changed it back to Auto Detect. We deleted the system.evt file
after disabling the Event log and rebooting. We have installed the 7 hotfixs
from the windows upgrade.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Glad to hear it helped you. Apparently this issue was introduced with
> Windows 2003 SP1. Don't know yet but I expect a hotfix will be forthcoming.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Zeezuiper" wrote:
> | When I read http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258750 it tells me:
> |
> | "Microsoft recommends that you set all the devices on that path of 10
> MB/Sec
> | and Half Duplex."
> |
> | Maybe add this little piece of practical information to this article?
> |
> | By the way, it worked for me, changing the heartbeat NIC to full duplex.
> |
> | Weird stuff...

Try setting full duplex or try another NIC

--

"Hendrick" wrote:
| This didn't work for use is there any other solutions? We had the NIC set
| half duplex we changed it back to Auto Detect. We deleted the system.evt
file
| after disabling the Event log and rebooting. We have installed the 7
hotfixs
| from the windows upgrade.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Dave

I set it to full duplex, disabled event service, rebooted, removed system
event log, enabled the service, rebooted & all is now ok.

Thanks, Chris.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> I just found out that a network interface running half duplex can cause
> this. The temp fix is to set it up as full duplex.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Chris" wrote:
> | Hi Dave
> |
> | It pops up a message saying "The event log file is corrupt" when I try to
> | view the system log. When I ok this it leaves a red x on the system part
> of
> | event viewer along with "there are no items to show in this view." The
> | serurity & application logs are ok.
> |
> | Chris.

That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know.

--

"Chris" wrote:
| Dave
|
| I set it to full duplex, disabled event service, rebooted, removed system
| event log, enabled the service, rebooted & all is now ok.
|
| Thanks, Chris.

Hi Chris
My is Steven and I go the same problem. I follow all the step and the issue
resolve. I got one question, will that be permenant resolve or temporary. ?

Steven