Deleting Invalid file/folder names Windows Server 2000

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I have tried everything I can think of and find to download to delete
several invalid folders/files from my ftproot folder that some hackers put
there a couple years ago. The folders have leading and trailing spaces,
invalid characters (sentences the hackers were writing back and forth to
each other), etc in their names, and nothing I can find can delete them.
There are 30 fragments listed by the disk defragmenter involving those
folders, and I cannot travel into the folders to see if there is actually a
file somewhere down at the bottom nor even read the entire name of the path
structure since it is wider than the page that disk defrag can print out.
These files/folders/fragments are eating up about 5GB of space on my main
drive. I have tried all the usual DOS type commands in safe mode command
prompt - using the 8.3 name as well as the others; I have tried a couple
delete programs that are made for invalid file names but when they run, a
black dos box comes up and I can see it say the directories are not empty
before it flashes away again.

Does anyone have anything to run to delete these short of fdisking the whole
thing and starting over? This is Windows Server 2000 with NTFS structure.
Some of the folders have "\Inetpub\ftproot\T A G G E D by Erick", "ok", and
just
"\Inetpub\ftproot\T A G G E D" and such in them, while others have sentences
of stuff such as
"\Inetpub\ftproot\ \*uck you delecter \you are so stupid\you want to play
with\......" and such in their structure.

I can see the first part of these folders in all sorts of programs, but if I
try to enter them I get various errors - mostly about access denied (and I
am logged in as administrator). Thanks for any help!

Thomas wrote:

> I have tried everything I can think of and find to download to delete
> several invalid folders/files from my ftproot folder [...]

> Does anyone have anything to run to delete these short of fdisking the whole
> thing and starting over? This is Windows Server 2000 with NTFS structure.
> Some of the folders have "\Inetpub\ftproot\T A G G E D by Erick", "ok", and
> just
> "\Inetpub\ftproot\T A G G E D" and such in them, while others have sentences

If there are trailing spaces you can use a trailing backslash and a
quoted path string to delete them. If the drive is C:, type:
rd /s /q "\\.\C:\Inetpub\ftproot\T A G G E D \"
Before you delete it you can in most cases use the CD command with
almost the same syntax to check what is really in those directories:
cd "\Inetpub\ftproot\T A G G E D \"

> of stuff such as
> "\Inetpub\ftproot\ \*uck you delecter \you are so stupid\you want to play
> with\......" and such in their structure.

This one is very easy to delete.
rd /s /q "\\.\C:\Inetpub\ftproot\ \"

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Thanks for the reply, but it still keeps telling me the directory isn't empty
- even with the rd /s command. I can change into one level down using the
short names revealed by DIR/x but no further since it says nothing is found
below that with the dir or dir /x command. If I try typing in the directory
names either with or without quotes I get an error when it gets to the first
space after "T " in "t a g g e d". They did a good job of doing whatever it
was they did to mess it up like this. It would be nice to have a good file
table editor to just delete the entries from the FAT and free up the disk
space (although with NTFS it isn't called that anymore I suppose). Any more
ideas to try? Thanks again!