File sessions are not disconnecting

I have a file server that has multiple servers connecting to it to retrieve
files via UNC paths. The problem we are seeing is that after a few weeks, we
get a message that indicates that we have run out of connections. When I
look under Computer Management -> Shared Folders -> Sessions I can see that
there are many sessions with a 'connected since' date going back days or
weeks. If I disconnect them, file access speeds up and more connections are
allowed.

Is there any way to have these sessions automatically close when idle? Or
does anyone know a better way to do this?

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about file sessions disconnecting

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:28:07 -0700, "Ryan Smith" <Ryan Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a file server that has multiple servers connecting to it to retrieve
    >files via UNC paths. The problem we are seeing is that after a few weeks, we
    >get a message that indicates that we have run out of connections. When I
    >look under Computer Management -> Shared Folders -> Sessions I can see that
    >there are many sessions with a 'connected since' date going back days or
    >weeks. If I disconnect them, file access speeds up and more connections are
    >allowed.
    >
    >Is there any way to have these sessions automatically close when idle? Or
    >does anyone know a better way to do this?
    >
    >Thanks.

    You could schedule the following batch to run every day:

    @echo off
    setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
    for /F "Tokens=1-8*" %%a in ('net sessions^|Find "\\"') do (
    call :sess %%a %%b %%c %%d %%e %%f %%g %%h %%i
    @echo !comp! !idle!
    )
    endlocal
    goto :EOF
    :sess
    set comp=%1
    set idle=00:00:00
    :sessL
    shift
    if {%1}=={} goto sessT
    set idle=%1
    goto sessL
    :sessT
    for /f "Tokens=1 Delims=:" %%x in ('@echo %idle%') do (
    if "%%x" GTR "01" net session %comp% /DELETE
    )

    Thank you Jerold. However, even if I disconnect them all (with net files
    /delete /y or similar) they just come back. It is like the requesting
    servers are keeping the connection alive for some reason.

    "Jerold Schulman" wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:28:07 -0700, "Ryan Smith" <Ryan Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a file server that has multiple servers connecting to it to retrieve
    > >files via UNC paths. The problem we are seeing is that after a few weeks, we
    > >get a message that indicates that we have run out of connections. When I
    > >look under Computer Management -> Shared Folders -> Sessions I can see that
    > >there are many sessions with a 'connected since' date going back days or
    > >weeks. If I disconnect them, file access speeds up and more connections are
    > >allowed.
    > >
    > >Is there any way to have these sessions automatically close when idle? Or
    > >does anyone know a better way to do this?
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    >
    > You could schedule the following batch to run every day:
    >

    > @echo off
    > setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
    > for /F "Tokens=1-8*" %%a in ('net sessions^|Find "\\"') do (
    > call :sess %%a %%b %%c %%d %%e %%f %%g %%h %%i
    > @echo !comp! !idle!
    > )
    > endlocal
    > goto :EOF
    > :sess
    > set comp=%1
    > set idle=00:00:00
    > :sessL
    > shift
    > if {%1}=={} goto sessT
    > set idle=%1
    > goto sessL
    > :sessT
    > for /f "Tokens=1 Delims=:" %%x in ('@echo %idle%') do (
    > if "%%x" GTR "01" net session %comp% /DELETE
    > )

File System File Server Windows