Q-Fan not compatible with Antec Neo PSUs?

jpucks77

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
The Q-Fan Control feature on my motherboard [ASUS P5WD2-E Premium Socket T (LGA 775)] is not working properly. I've got an Antec Neo HE 550 watt PSU running my machine with an Arctic Cooling Pro 7 CPU fan and heatsink cooling my Pentium D.

I put in a help request to Asus via e-mail and I've received a response from them, which stated simply that the Antec Neo family of power supplies are not all compatible with this board and to try a different power supply. Not like they could at least suggest a compatible one or anything, that would be too much to ask from ASUS.

But is anyone out there using this paricular power supply with this motherboard and if so, do you have the Q-Fan Control feature working with it properly or is ASUS bullshi--ing me?

I'm forced to keep all fans going at full power in the BIOS because if I enable the the CPU Q-Fan Control, my CPU Fan Speed drops down to ~500RPM and my CPU chip gets too hot obviously. On the other hand, when Q-Fan is disabled in the BIOS, I get a CPU Fan Speed of ~2700 RPM. So I've got my fans blowing in my case at full blast at all times and it sounds like a jet engine in here. I"ve got Speedfan running for now to control it, but I'd prefer to use the Q-Fan feature that this board has. So far this board has been nothing but trouble for me from the lack of Marvel support and now this. I've gotten zero help from ASUS on the issues. Thankfully there's some great people in these forums and the ASUS customer forums that have helped.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I don't see how that is the fault of the PS. BTW, my Qfan does the same thing, so instead of controlling the CPU fan, I use it to control the case fan. But, frankly, it's one of those GeeWiz features that's really not all that useful.