Accelero X2 or VF900

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
The price of the Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 is much lower then the Zalman VF900-Cu, but the performance is much better according to Tomshardware.com. The noise is the same on the AC cooler on load as the Zalman cooler on idle, and temperatures are much lower for the AC cooler.
The STOCK fan on the X1900 cards even performs better then the VF900 wich lower temperatures, even though it's noise level is much higher.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/30/vga_heat_pipe_cooler_roundup_2006/page9.html#cooling_performance

And i was told that the VF900 was the best fan ever, mostly by ppl around here. This test disproves that. So what do u think abt this?

cleeve

Illustrious
The VF900 is a good cooler, but the stock X1900 XTX cooler is pretty efficient so it doesn't look as good in comparison.

The VF900 DID beat the stock cooler at stock speeds; only when the stock cooler was increased to 100% did it beat the VF900...

The same with the Accelerro, to get great performance from it, you have to increase the fan speed to 100% with Atitool. At stock speeds the accelero was about as good as the VF900.

The advantage of the accelero is that even with the fan speed at 100%, it's very quiet. You have to check the noise graphs, too. :)

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
It depends how much you care about noise. If noise isn't a big issue stick with the stock cooler, it's really the best solution. One thing it has over all the other solutions is that it dumps hot air out of the case rather than blowing it on some other part.

paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Does anyone know whether Accelero blows air out of the hole on top or does it suck air in? (And don't bother with any jokes!)

If it blows air out, I am tempted to get one and duct the air out of the case, otherwise it seems the impact on case temp would be severe considering you can roast marshmallows on the air coming from the stock cooler.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I read the same test which is why I bought an X2. I've been happy with it so far.

Oh, and it blows air towards the back if the card, over the MOSFETs. It does not exhaust it out of the case.

cleeve

Illustrious
The accelero keeps the air in the case.

Unfortunately, the only cooler that doesn't is the stock cooler.

And I did the test... for the record, the stock cooler at 100% is simply too loud to be practical. I can live with a lot of noise, but it was just ridiculous. Really, really bad.

At normal speeds the stock cooler was fine though.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
The VF900 DID beat the stock cooler at stock speeds; only when the stock cooler was increased to 100% did it beat the VF900...

The same with the Accelerro, to get great performance from it, you have to increase the fan speed to 100% with Atitool. At stock speeds the accelero was about as good as the VF900.

Obviously the VF900 at MIN isnt as good as the X2 or the STOCK at 100%, thatsa given. But the VF900 isnt as good as them even at 100%, so it sucks!

One thing it has over all the other solutions is that it dumps hot air out of the case rather than blowing it on some other part.
I'm pretty sure that only the Stock fan blows the air out of the case.

I asked several times times on this forum, whether the Stock cooler for the 7900 GTX was better or worse then the VF900, and in any case no matter what cooler i brought up ppl always said VF900, i never thought of the Accelero X2 though. You want a list of their street addreses and phone numbers?

I asked several times times on this forum, whether the Stock cooler for the 7900 GTX was better or worse then the VF900, and in any case no matter what cooler i brought up ppl always said VF900, i never thought of the Accelero X2 though. You want a list of their street addreses and phone numbers?

cleeve

Illustrious
Obviously the VF900 at MIN isnt as good as the X2 or the STOCK at 100%, thatsa given. But the VF900 isnt as good as them even at 100%, so it sucks!

Not really.

The stock cooler is COMPLETELY UNUSABLE at 100%, unless you have a separate soundproof room to store your computer in. I recorded the results for reference only... nobody is going to run the stock cooler at 100% unless you don't mind the sound of a weedwhacker in your office.

The VF900 at 100% is much quieter than the stock fan at stock speds, and is 5 degrees cooler under load and more than 10 degrees cooler at idle. Not a bad choise if you value silence.

There are other better choices obviously, but in real life the VF900 isn't that horrid. And like I said, the X1900 stock cooler is much more efficient than other stock coolers... if you had an X1800 GTO cooler, it'd perform probably at least 10 degrees worse than the VF900 under load.

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I love my VF900, from personal experience I can say that my graphics cards are no longer the loudest or hottest part of my computer. I keep the VF900 on 100 percent all the time because I cant hear them. The loudest part of my computer... my PS intake fan... drowns out the very little noise they do make. Although they are not the BEST performing cooler available for my graphics card they have an amazing sound/performance ratio. Also the fan sticks out about if not less then an inch from the card so there was a TON of room for my SLI setup. It was the perfect choice for me... for you... something might be better.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Not really.

The stock cooler is COMPLETELY UNUSABLE at 100%, unless you have a separate soundproof room to store your computer in. I recorded the results for reference only... nobody is going to run the stock cooler at 100% unless you don't mind the sound of a weedwhacker in your office.

The VF900 at 100% is much quieter than the stock fan at stock speds, and is 5 degrees cooler under load and more than 10 degrees cooler at idle. Not a bad choise if you value silence.

There are other better choices obviously, but in real life the VF900 isn't

Im not talking abt noise, im talking abt temperatures, u said that the X2 and Stock were only better then the VF900 at 100% fan speed (yes i know the stock is horrible, but i have a CPU fan wich is even noisier so im used to it). What im saying is, according to the review, the VF900 isnt better then the X2 and Stock EVEN at 100% of it's fan speed - temperature wise)
Something seems wrong abt it though.

cleeve

Illustrious
Memroy heatsinks... well, I still haven't ever seen compelling evidence that memory cooling accomplishes anything worthwhile.

Anyway, if memory serves, the Zalman comes with memory heatsinks...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the VF900 cooler on my 7800GTX SLi and at the lowest fan speed it still able to cool the cards very silently. I have temps of 50c idle and 65c-70c full load which is normal and about the same as the stock cooler without the noise.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Memroy heatsinks... well, I still haven't ever seen compelling evidence that memory cooling accomplishes anything worthwhile.

Anyway, if memory serves, the Zalman comes with memory heatsinks...

Well, the ppl who told me that the VF900 is the best, made me think that it dosent really matter if i have memory heatsinks or a fan to go with them, that the performance increase from just a heatsink to a fan wouldnt be that much with the memory, but if the review is right then maybe thats not true.

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, Ive seen quite a few tests that show memory cooling makes so little difference it';s not worth mentioning.

But look around the web for reviews, maybe I'm wrong. :)

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
What im saying is, according to the review, the VF900 isnt better then the X2 and Stock EVEN at 100% of it's fan speed - temperature wise)
And your point? Maybe we're forgetting about something like fan speed? I have a pretty good feeling that the stock cooler's fan spins a lot faster at 100% than the Zalman's or X2's at 100%. Which is going to have an impact on cooling. Arctic Cooling fans have always been better than Zalman's, at least regarding their video card coolers.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
If you have a single card or have two-slot spaced SLi slots then the best would be the Artic Cooling Silencer. I have used it but when I got the SLi it got rid of it cuz it would not fit. The Silencer was way too big for some SLi setup. Unlike other after-market coolers this cooler exhaust the hot air towards the back out of the case making it cooler inside. But the VF900 is have wider range of compatability due to it's compact size.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
What im saying is, according to the review, the VF900 isnt better then the X2 and Stock EVEN at 100% of it's fan speed - temperature wise)
And your point? Maybe we're forgetting about something like fan speed? I have a pretty good feeling that the stock cooler's fan spins a lot faster at 100% than the Zalman's or X2's at 100%. Which is going to have an impact on cooling. Arctic Cooling fans have always been better than Zalman's, at least regarding their video card coolers.

But the X2 is still more silent, even with it's fan speed, according to the review wich dosent make any sence, because the load tepms reach 90C, wich is much higher then ive ever seen on any review or person ive talked to.

cleeve

Illustrious
because the load tepms reach 90C, wich is much higher then ive ever seen on any review or person ive talked to.

You haven't talked to the right people.

I already explained that Atitool stresses the core more than standard banchmarks like 3dMark loops.

But search the web... lots of XTX owners with temps in the high 80s.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I did not say that and keep your attitude in check.

After checking back through some of your posts I don't recall reading where anybody told you it was the best cooler out there. Actually, it looked as though you're the first person to mention the VF900 in your initial posts as opposed to just asking for suggestions. Other posters responded saying it is a good cooler, which basically answered your question. If you had asked for more options, you would have gotten broader responses.

It's also not our fault you cannot do a little research on your own to look for some comparisons. A simple Google search would've answered your questions. Don't blame others for your lack of following through. There are other hardware sites to consider like X-Bit, Anandtech, FiringSquad, Elite Bastards, etc....

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
But the X2 is still more silent, even with it's fan speed, according to the review wich dosent make any sence, because the load tepms reach 90C, wich is much higher then ive ever seen on any review or person ive talked to.
Well if you've gone to any of the companies websites, you would see that the X2's fan maxes at 2000rpm, the Zalman at 2400rpm and the ATI stock cooler (if history is any indication) around 5000rpm.

Heatsink reviews are all relative, the only way to know how it'll work in your setup is either do it yourself or find as many reviews as you can. Because no one does them exactly the same. I wouldn't take numbers as absolute from any review, instead I would look at the numbers in relation to the whole setup (case close or open, open air test bed or not, how many case fans and at what speed and size, ambient/room temps, what is the intention of the reviewer? Noise or cooling performance? etc). Then I would compare that info to other reviews and make my decision.

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Haha wow thats a true modder right there, do what you have to do to get the temps where you want them... haha and it definatly doesnt have to look pretty! Oh well I applaude you man, way to improvise, but maybe one day you can clean that mess up in there!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
picture015zr2.jpg

My card idles at 38-39c and hits a max load of 60c. Keep in mind this is running 730core and 832mem. 8)

I know your thinking its probably loud but trust me when I tell you its really not bad at all.

HEHEHEHE... I love how its so improvised and ugly but so good all at once. :lol: