How do I disable write caching ?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Win2K Pro:
I am having intermittant HW problems, and loose recently written data
sometimes.
How do I completely disable write caching and specify immediate writes
to disk?
Frank

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Device Manager | Disk Drives | double-click the drive desired, then select
Disk Properties tab | uncheck Write Cache Enabled box

--
Tim Rude

timrude@NOSPAM.hotmail.com
(remove NOSPAM. for correct email address)

"Frank" <Frank@home.com> wrote in message
> Win2K Pro:
> I am having intermittant HW problems, and loose recently written data
> sometimes.
> How do I completely disable write caching and specify immediate writes
> to disk?
> Frank

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

If your disk driver has the option then Device Manager|Disk
Drives|'disk'|Disk Properties

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Frank" wrote:
| Win2K Pro:
| I am having intermittant HW problems, and loose recently written data
| sometimes.
| How do I completely disable write caching and specify immediate writes
| to disk?
| Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Thanks both. Quite simple, but I searched the MS Pub Win 2000
Companion, Win 2000 Secrets, and the online help: no mention of this
option anywhere.
Frank

"Frank" wrote:
| Win2K Pro:
| I am having intermittant HW problems, and loose recently written data
| sometimes.
| How do I completely disable write caching and specify immediate writes
| to disk?
| Frank

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

You're welcome.