Non Domain accounts - Shares???

I have tried this on 2000 and 2003 server with no luck. Trying to setup a
share that can be accessible to non-domain computer/user. From what I have
read, on 2000 you just need to grant the "Everyone" group access. On 2003 I
have tried the local security tweaks and granting the "anonymous login"
account explicit rights with no luck. No matter what I have tried, the
non-domain user gets prompted for a username & password when accessing the
share.

Does anyone know if this is even possible and if so, what's the trick???

You'll want to create an account (in Users and Passwords) on the Win2k
machines with the username and password that you use to logon to the other
machine with. Likewise you'll need to create an account (in Users and
Passwords) on the 2000 machine with the username and password that you use
to logon to the Win2k machines with. Then you'll need to share out the
resource(s) with permissions for those users. Also make sure they're on the
same subnet. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the IPC$ password
(Inter-process communication)

In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
NT/2000/XP/2003 machine, Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 needs to authenticate the
user. If the user account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then
access will be denied.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"klhoskins" wrote:
|I have tried this on 2000 and 2003 server with no luck. Trying to setup a
| share that can be accessible to non-domain computer/user. From what I have
| read, on 2000 you just need to grant the "Everyone" group access. On 2003
| have tried the local security tweaks and granting the "anonymous login"
| account explicit rights with no luck. No matter what I have tried, the
| non-domain user gets prompted for a username & password when accessing the
| share.
|
| Does anyone know if this is even possible and if so, what's the trick???

I guess I should have clarified this... The share is on a domain based
server, the non-domain PC's are setup with accounts that log in local to the
PC. It's actually about 30 or so non-domain PC's/users on many different
subnets that need access to the share. From what I read the "anonymous login"
account should take care of this but it doesn't.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You'll want to create an account (in Users and Passwords) on the Win2k
> machines with the username and password that you use to logon to the other
> machine with. Likewise you'll need to create an account (in Users and
> Passwords) on the 2000 machine with the username and password that you use
> to logon to the Win2k machines with. Then you'll need to share out the
> resource(s) with permissions for those users. Also make sure they're on the
> same subnet. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the IPC$ password
> (Inter-process communication)
>
> In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
> NT/2000/XP/2003 machine, Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 needs to authenticate the
> user. If the user account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then
> access will be denied.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "klhoskins" wrote:
> |I have tried this on 2000 and 2003 server with no luck. Trying to setup a
> | share that can be accessible to non-domain computer/user. From what I have
> | read, on 2000 you just need to grant the "Everyone" group access. On 2003
> | have tried the local security tweaks and granting the "anonymous login"
> | account explicit rights with no luck. No matter what I have tried, the
> | non-domain user gets prompted for a username & password when accessing the
> | share.
> |
> | Does anyone know if this is even possible and if so, what's the trick???

You'll either need to create the local accounts or enable the guest account
and associate this account with the shared resources.

--

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> You'll either need to create the local accounts or enable the guest
> account
> and associate this account with the shared resources.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "klhoskins" wrote:
> |I guess I should have clarified this... The share is on a domain based
> | server, the non-domain PC's are setup with accounts that log in local to
> the
> | PC. It's actually about 30 or so non-domain PC's/users on many different
> | subnets that need access to the share. From what I read the "anonymous
> login"
> | account should take care of this but it doesn't.

I have a similar problem and tried enabling the guest account. but when
non-domain users try to access share, the still get prompted for user ID and
passwd (and can use "guest" as id and no password and get into share)

These articles may help.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_ypuh.asp

;300489]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];300489