Photo black vs. "regular" black, Photo Cyan vs. "regular" ..

zakezuke

> I noticed there are cartridges for i4000 photo or non-photo color.
> Which should I use.

The ip4000 takes both a large non-photo black, and a smaller bci-6
photo black. You should have both in your printer. Non-photo is used
for text documents primarly, where the dye black is mostly used on
photopaper.

zakezuke

forgot to address the photo cyan vs regular cyan

photo cyan is lighter than regular cyan. From my understanding it
doesn't widen your palet but rather the light inks are used to fill the
empty spaces between the harsh black, cyan, magenta, and yellow dots.
The end result, again from my understanding, is a smoother looking
image rather than looking dithered.

The ip4000 doesn't take the photo cyan nor photo magenta. Gotta go
with a different printer if you want those inks... the i960 / ip6000
for example, the ip8500 and i9900 for another IIRC.

the ip4000 is clearly marked Y BK bk M C (don't have it in front of me
so I don't remember the order). Each tank is also clearly marked 6 and
color coated 6 Y for example for the yellow.

Nothing for there is no i4000 printer. It does not exist.

zakezuke wrote:
> forgot to address the photo cyan vs regular cyan
>
> photo cyan is lighter than regular cyan. From my understanding it
> doesn't widen your palet but rather the light inks are used to fill
> the empty spaces between the harsh black, cyan, magenta, and yellow
> dots. The end result, again from my understanding, is a smoother
> looking image rather than looking dithered.
>
> The ip4000 doesn't take the photo cyan nor photo magenta. Gotta go
> with a different printer if you want those inks... the i960 / ip6000
> for example, the ip8500 and i9900 for another IIRC.
>
> the ip4000 is clearly marked Y BK bk M C (don't have it in front of me
> so I don't remember the order). Each tank is also clearly marked 6
> and color coated 6 Y for example for the yellow.

o bought one one of that cheap refill kits (supposely for my late Lexmark)
and instructions for photo cyan and photo magenta were: take one part of
cyan and one part of transparent solution (also provided), mix them and you
get photo cyan. SO, i guess it's meant for lighter colors, so that printer
doesn't need to make them with dithering, so, final look should be better.
But, then again, if printer has 4800 or even 9600 dpi, dots are so small
that you really can't see that dithering, and if you take a good photo paper
then...
I guess maybe these photo colors were of better effect in the past when
printers papers weren't so good...

In article <_q3Ne.875$3F6.760@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
inkystinky@oem.com says...
> Nothing for there is no i4000 printer. It does not exist.
>
> DC wrote:
>
> >I noticed there are cartridges for i4000 photo or non-photo color. Which should I
> >use.

inkystinky's comments are as informative as always! I'm sure the
original poster is thrilled by his insight and experience!

zakezuke

> I bought some refill kits to be used with i4000 and and they were photo-black,
> photo-cyan, yellow and photo magenta.

You mean the costco IMS kit? I imagine there are others but it's the
only one I know of that comes with photo magenta and photo cyan.
Anyhow that stuff isn't really reccomended, not that it is bad stuff.
As inks go it's perectly ink like, nothing really bad about it, it's
just generic not geared for a particular printer. Canons while thermal
are a relativly low temp thermal... and you gotta take that into
account. Also the canon magenta has an odd hue to it. I've seen it
"work" well enough. The largest complains were with premature
fading... which given the canon's lifespan isn't good. I have put the
stuff in a bj2100, worked ok.

IIRC the cost of that kit was very attractive, like under $20... or on
average about $1.00 an oz. But it comes with ink that is useless to
you. $2ish/oz can get you something at least matched to your printer
in terms of color, viscosity, and boiling point. All good things to
consider. On the other hand... it's not like the stuff doesn't work.

In article zakezuke says...
> the ip4000 is clearly marked Y BK bk M C (don't have it in front of me
> so I don't remember the order). Each tank is also clearly marked 6 and
> color coated 6 Y for example for the yellow.

Pigment Black is clearly marked 3e

DC

Irwin Peckinloomer <semimoto@spamforYahoo.com> wrote:

>In article <_q3Ne.875$3F6.760@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
>inkystinky@oem.com says...
>> Nothing for there is no i4000 printer. It does not exist.
>>
>> DC wrote:
>>
>> >I noticed there are cartridges for i4000 photo or non-photo color. Which should I
>> >use.
>> >

>inkystinky's comments are as informative as always! I'm sure the
>original poster is thrilled by his insight and experience!

I've killfiltered him.

On the subjectmatter:
I bought some refill kits to be used with i4000 and and they were photo-black,
photo-cyan, yellow and photo magenta. After futher experimentation the
photo-black and yellow work. Others cause spillage and general mess. I did not
know the other color were "regular".