Ethernet over single UTP

I am interested in developing a solution for running 10BaseT over a
single twisted pair.

http://www.etslan.com/jc000005.php

Has a similar solution . Is there a schematic or whitepaper available
that documents this technology? Does anyone have any experience in
this area?

jtw131 wrote:

> I am interested in developing a solution for running 10BaseT over a
> single twisted pair.
>
> http://www.etslan.com/jc000005.php
>
> Has a similar solution . Is there a schematic or whitepaper available
> that documents this technology? Does anyone have any experience in
> this area?

Is there something specific that you are trying to accomplish that HPNA will
not do?

You can also easily run 10base2 over a single twisted pair for a short
distance--all you need is a suitable pair of baluns.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

jtw131 wrote:
> I am interested in developing a solution for running 10BaseT over a
> single twisted pair.
>
> http://www.etslan.com/jc000005.php
>
> Has a similar solution . Is there a schematic or whitepaper available
> that documents this technology? Does anyone have any experience in
> this area?

Both Netgear (NetGear PE 102) and Linksys (Linksys HPB200) have in the
past made ethernet to phoneline bridge devices that can accomplish
essentially what you describe. They have an rj-45 and an rj11 on them.
Plug your 10base-t (or 100base-t) ethernet into the rj45, and plug you
plain old twisted pair phone wire in to to rj11. As an added bonus, you
can run voice over the same pair at the same time!

Yes, for the application I have it would be nice to keep it a baseband
solution, rather than modulating the signal up to a higher frequency.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"T. Sean Weintz" <strap@hanh-ct.org> wrote in message
> jtw131 wrote:
> > I am interested in developing a solution for running 10BaseT over a
> > single twisted pair.
> >
> > http://www.etslan.com/jc000005.php
> >
> > Has a similar solution . Is there a schematic or whitepaper available
> > that documents this technology? Does anyone have any experience in
> > this area?
>
> Both Netgear (NetGear PE 102) and Linksys (Linksys HPB200) have in the
> past made ethernet to phoneline bridge devices that can accomplish
> essentially what you describe. They have an rj-45 and an rj11 on them.
> Plug your 10base-t (or 100base-t) ethernet into the rj45, and plug you
> plain old twisted pair phone wire in to to rj11. As an added bonus, you
> can run voice over the same pair at the same time!

And then there are the xDSL-based "Ethernet in the First Mile" solutions,
which also run over a single UTP. The distances covered are much greater
than the appr. 100m of 10BASE-T. Look for 10PASS-TS and 2BASE-TL at
http://www.ethernetinthefirstmile.com/products.html.

Michael
--
remove "filter" from address to reply