Sign in with
Your question

Anti-Static Wristbands

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2006 7:33:53 PM

I am taking an IT essentials course, and my instuctor informed me of that each time you open up the computer you must ground yourself with one of these anti-static wristbands. In my 6 years of repairing, I've never used one myself.

What's your guys opinons on these things?

Nessesary or not?

More about : anti static wristbands

September 6, 2006 7:49:00 PM

they may not be absolutely essential (as long as you remember to ground yourself), but $10 bucks for a little bit of peace of mind is not a bad investment.
September 6, 2006 8:23:09 PM

I'm with the guys. As long as you ground yourself first by touching the case you should be fine. The reason you do that is to release any static charge your body might have accumulated. I even work with my pc while sitting on a carpet and the components on a cardboard box. I know it's a bad pratice. But now I take all those precautions while working with my pc. Most important thing is to ground yourself first and from time to time while working on your pc on any electrical components.
Related resources
September 6, 2006 8:28:55 PM

Quote:
I am taking an IT essentials course, and my instuctor informed me of that each time you open up the computer you must ground yourself with one of these anti-static wristbands. In my 6 years of repairing, I've never used one myself.

What's your guys opinons on these things?

Nessesary or not?

ive done the same course as well as cisco, we were made to use these wristbands aswell but personnally i dont think they are nessecary, just agree and use one to pass the course all that matters is that certificate at the end.
September 6, 2006 8:33:35 PM

Not needed. I consider them possibly to not be fail-safe if you don't tighten the strap enough. It can leave a gap where it doesn't touch you. (Rare, I know). That can possibly lead to a sense of false security.

What I do is that whenever I pick up a part, I make sure that my other hand/forearm is grounded on the case. That way I'm grounded, and I'm grounding the part as well.
September 6, 2006 8:34:30 PM

The wristbands are a nuisance, but I do use an anti-static mat, particularly in the winter when indoor electric heat can really dry the air. The mat clips to your case frame and allows you to work handsfree, so to speak. In addition to the anti-staic benefit, it also cushions your work surface while you work on delicate cards and motherboards. Frozencpu.com sells the mat for $20.
September 6, 2006 8:39:24 PM

Avoiding static is very important, but as most have said, in practice it can usually be avoided w/o use of a wristband.
September 6, 2006 9:12:51 PM

i just touch a radiator before i start since they are earthed
September 6, 2006 9:16:50 PM

I've never used one... I guess that makes me a virgin.
September 6, 2006 9:30:56 PM

I suppose it's like anti-lock brakes on cars. You don't need them most of the time, but by the time you do it's too late.

I use an anti-static wrist strap whenever I need to add or remove something expensive. I also use anti-static gloves for installing the ram and cpu.
September 6, 2006 9:54:58 PM

Since I work in the electronics field and seen "ESD" damage I always use grounding straps.
ESD grounding is sort of like people's view on safe sex.
September 6, 2006 10:39:20 PM

Yep, that's true.

As for them not fitting well, they are suppose to be tested and discarded if they don't fit correctly or otherwise fail the test.
September 6, 2006 10:43:11 PM

I also work in the electronics field and you have to watch if you have dry skin because the strap won't work properly then either.
September 6, 2006 11:31:50 PM

Quote:
What I do is that whenever I pick up a part, I make sure that my other hand/forearm is grounded on the case. That way I'm grounded, and I'm grounding the part as well.

That's what I do. And if I'm picking up an expansion card, I always hold it by the metal part on the back; not on the PCB.
September 6, 2006 11:58:41 PM

Quote:
i just touch a radiator before i start since they are earthed

Radiator? What's that? BTW, I live in Texas and around here we ground ourselves on the A/C. HeHe :lol: 

On a serious note, I discharge myself by touching the chassis before I touch any components. I also try to rest one of my forearms on the chassis while I'm working.
!