Bad cost per GB ratio. The 320GB drives have the best ratio right now at about 33 cents per GB. You will only see about 700-710GB of that 750, whereas with a 320GB drive, you should see about 300 of it.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
There are cheaper ways to get that much storage, just not in one drive. It's not a bad deal if you don't want to run a raid array.

phaxmohdem

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
You will only see about 700-710GB of that 750, whereas with a 320GB drive, you should see about 300 of it.

Thats not even a fair reason. You pay for 2.56 trillion magnetic hairs on a platter you get 2.56 trillion magnetic hairs on a platter (320gb). you pay for 6 trillion, you get 6 tril (750gb). Regardless of what the Operating system tells you. God knows how many times this has been discussed.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Is this too good to be true?

No

how come everyone and their mothers aren't getting these drives?

It's kind of expensive and most people don't really need 750GB (yet), most people are more than hapy with their 80GB drives, those that aren't probably would rather get 2 or 3 320GB drives for the same money.

i want to buy ....but does anyone have any negatives about the drive?

It's expensive.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
750GB = 44.8 cents per gig (seagate)
500GB = 48 cents per gig (maxtor)
320GB = 31.9 cents per gig (seagate)
250GB = 34.4 cents per gig (seagate)

So the 320 is best at regular prices, mind you with rebates etc. you tend to get the lower capacity models for even cheaper... and theres a rebate every week it seems nowadays. Anyhow unless you are streching the limits of your cases capacity I'd rather have two smaller hard drives than one large one just in case it fails.... losing data is a PITA.

Disclaimer: I jsut grabbed the first non deathstar drive it may not be the cheapest. Also the drives were slightly cheaper at Fry's the other day ;)

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i would never get a drive that big for a few reasons, i think a couple of 320gig barracudas from seagate arae the best bet at the moment.

the reason i wouldnt get a drive that big is cause if it fails thats a hell of a lot of data you just lost, whereas have two 320s means you just lost some of your data and it wont take you that long to recover it. i would only really recommend a 750gig drive if you were setting up a RAID 1 array.

Thats not even a fair reason. You pay for 2.56 trillion magnetic hairs on a platter you get 2.56 trillion magnetic hairs on a platter (320gb). you pay for 6 trillion, you get 6 tril (750gb). Regardless of what the Operating system tells you. God knows how many times this has been discussed.

Doesn't matter how many you pay for and actually get. What matters, is how many you have access to. The larger the drive you have, the higher the net loss in terms of how much space you don't have access to.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Doesn't matter how many you pay for and actually get. What matters, is how many you have access to. The larger the drive you have, the higher the net loss in terms of how much space you don't have access to.

That use to be true (in a way) under old file systems like FAT, where when the size of the drive went up, the cluster size had to go up as well.

That is no longer the case with NTFS - cluster size is fixed at 4K by default.

As far as accessing the space, you have access to all of it -- no problem there. One thing that can vary is the size of the NTFS MFT. The MFT is initially allocated 12% of the volume (although I don't think Windows subtracts this from the reported free space).

However, if the volume fills up, Windows will release reserved space from the MFT to use for file storage, just like if the MFT runs out of space, Windows will allocate additional space for it.

NTFS reserves the space for the MFT at format time, because Windows wants to take extra steps to keep the MFT defragmented. A fragmented MFT can really hurt performance, and all Windows defragmenters cannot defragment the MFT - to defrag it, you need a DOS or boot-time utility.

But, if you purchase a 320GB drive, you will be able to store a single file very close to 320,000,000,000 bytes on it, just like if you buy a 750GB drive, you will be able to store a file very close to 750,000,000,000 bytes on it. Yes, Windows will report free space on those disks after a fresh format as 298GB and 698GB, respectively, but that is the result of 1000/1024 computational differences. It doesn't affect the actual amount of space (in bytes) available on the volume.