Moving file shares while retaining permissions

First of all I am looking at migrating seven independent file servers down to
two using DFS and hosted on a SAN. Is it possible to retain the security on
the files and folders as they are moved to seperate servers and storage
pools. Secondly if a microsoft supplied tool does not allow this are there
third party applications/utilities I can achieve this with?

What have others done?

Thanks.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:34:01 -0700, a_user <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>First of all I am looking at migrating seven independent file servers down to
>two using DFS and hosted on a SAN. Is it possible to retain the security on
>the files and folders as they are moved to seperate servers and storage
>pools. Secondly if a microsoft supplied tool does not allow this are there
>third party applications/utilities I can achieve this with?
>
>What have others done?
>
>Thanks.

See if tip 8587 » How can I transfer a folder structure, shares, and permissions?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com helps.

"a_user" wrote:
> First of all I am looking at migrating seven independent file
> servers down to
> two using DFS and hosted on a SAN. Is it possible to retain
> the security on
> the files and folders as they are moved to seperate servers
> and storage
> pools. Secondly if a microsoft supplied tool does not allow
> this are there
> third party applications/utilities I can achieve this with?
>
> What have others done?
>
> Thanks.

what about ROBOCOPY with/without "copyrite xp" (=GUI) you can copy
data and retain permissions
you could also use the File Server Migration Toolkit

Google for all and you will find them

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/File-System-Moving-shares-retaining-permissions-ftopict549548.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1739900