Please Help Me-Printing with Epson 1290

I am using the Epson 1290 and have been for two years now. All fine
until I started printing Photos. Printing high res photos still come
out stripy, is this do with the driver or ink, i am trying alternative
cartridges to Epson is this the problem. Also normal printing-too much
ink seems to come out and sits on the paper rollers smuding ink all
over the paper-Why is this?

Can anyone help? Am running out of ideas.

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

<amber.banks@virgin.net> wrote in message
>I am using the Epson 1290 and have been for two years now. All fine
> until I started printing Photos. Printing high res photos still come
> out stripy, is this do with the driver or ink, i am trying alternative
> cartridges to Epson is this the problem. Also normal printing-too much
> ink seems to come out and sits on the paper rollers smuding ink all
> over the paper-Why is this?
>
> Can anyone help? Am running out of ideas.

Hi there.

First of all can I say that the 1290 produces very high quality Photos.

We will need to know a bit more about what materials you are using. The non
drying / puddling of ink sounds like it could be the wrong kind of paper, or
the wrong kind of ink, or both.

Could I suggest that initially you should revert to Epson Inks, and Paper.

You will also need to do a bit of studying on Colour Management. It is not
an easy subject, but it is not rocket science either. If I can do it, then
anyone can.

Have a look at www.computer-darkroom.com especially the articles on
Monitor Calibration and Basic Printing with Epson and Photoshop.

Once you have got it correct with Epson materials, then you can start trying
other Papers, but only those for which you can download an ICC Profile for a
1290 or 1280.

If you want to use other inks, then you will have to pay someone to produce
a Printer / Paper Profile for whatever combination you decide upon. To the
best of my knowledge none of the 3rd party ink people produce profiles for
their inks.

Hope this helps a little, but do ask again.

Roy G

You are likely using a ink/paper combination that is not compatible.
That can cause all the problems you speak of, including the banding, an
the excess ink an the rollers becoming contaminated. Not all 3rd party
inks or papers will work for all applications. In this case, the most
likely culprit is the wrong paper.

Streaking can also be caused ny clogged or dirty heads, in which case
just ask me for the "Epson Cleaning Manual" which will explain simple
ways to resolving those sounds, in most cases.

Art