pat

Expert

Folks,
I have replaced my tiny system HD with a reasonable sized one and installed
a 300gig for data storage.
I have re-installed XP Home on the new system, but, during the process of
re-installing various add-ons, I added a USB/Firewire card before installing
its drivers. I installed the drivers afterwards. I think that this is why
when copying large files/folders to my external USB HD (Maxtor, for backup)
it does a sort of stutter step every few seconds. It did not do this before,
it ran smoothly and quickly.

I am planning to delete its drivers, remove the card, install the Maxtor
drivers, replace the card, keep my fingers crossed!

I have seen advice on deleting/re-installing drivers in this group before.
Please point me in the right direction.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Pat

You might try removing the card and rebooting. Then put the card back in
but try a different slot. Since the drivers are already on the hard drive,
you will probably get a good installation. Trying a different PCI slot does
sometimes improve things, but I don't know why.