Delete - reinstall Driver??

Folks,
I have replaced my tiny system HD with a reasonable sized one and installed
a 300gig for data storage.
I have re-installed XP Home on the new system, but, during the process of
re-installing various add-ons, I added a USB/Firewire card before installing
its drivers. I installed the drivers afterwards. I think that this is why
when copying large files/folders to my external USB HD (Maxtor, for backup)
it does a sort of stutter step every few seconds. It did not do this before,
it ran smoothly and quickly.

I am planning to delete its drivers, remove the card, install the Maxtor
drivers, replace the card, keep my fingers crossed!

I have seen advice on deleting/re-installing drivers in this group before.
Please point me in the right direction.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Pat
1 answer Last reply
More about delete reinstall driver

    You might try removing the card and rebooting. Then put the card back in
    but try a different slot. Since the drivers are already on the hard drive,
    you will probably get a good installation. Trying a different PCI slot does
    sometimes improve things, but I don't know why.

    "Pat" <patclough@wembleypark57.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    > I have replaced my tiny system HD with a reasonable sized one and
    > installed a 300gig for data storage.
    > I have re-installed XP Home on the new system, but, during the process of
    > re-installing various add-ons, I added a USB/Firewire card before
    > installing its drivers. I installed the drivers afterwards. I think that
    > this is why when copying large files/folders to my external USB HD
    > (Maxtor, for backup) it does a sort of stutter step every few seconds. It
    > did not do this before, it ran smoothly and quickly.
    >
    > I am planning to delete its drivers, remove the card, install the Maxtor
    > drivers, replace the card, keep my fingers crossed!
    >
    > I have seen advice on deleting/re-installing drivers in this group before.
    > Please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Any other advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Pat