unable to save word documents

Having Windows 2003 File servers std edition and no SP1 installed.
Last week applied the critical updates since then having issues while saving
the workd documents which the users saved previously.
Thouhgt to be the permissions issue but we can save the file with a new name
but when we edit and just click on save we are getting error not having
proper permissions. Thouhgt might be antivirus is causing this problme I
stopped the services for anti virus and still having same issue
Appreciate and intereste to know whats the root cause and why this happened.

Abid Mohiuddin
Systems Admin.

Sounds like permissions problem. When working with Office documents the
program works with the file in the local \temp directory, then when you save
the file, Excel/Word needs to be able to delete the original file and
replace it with the working copy from the \temp directory.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Abid" wrote:
| Having Windows 2003 File servers std edition and no SP1 installed.
| Last week applied the critical updates since then having issues while
saving
| the workd documents which the users saved previously.
| Thouhgt to be the permissions issue but we can save the file with a new
name
| but when we edit and just click on save we are getting error not having
| proper permissions. Thouhgt might be antivirus is causing this problme I
| stopped the services for anti virus and still having same issue
| Appreciate and intereste to know whats the root cause and why this
happened.

| Abid Mohiuddin
| Systems Admin.

Thanks dave and appreciate your quick reply.
The temp folder what you said are they the one on local desktop or the one
which is on the file server under windows directory.
Also would like to know the permissions on temp folder.
This problem started only after I applied the critical updates last week.
Thanks

Abid M

"Abid" wrote:

> Having Windows 2003 File servers std edition and no SP1 installed.
> Last week applied the critical updates since then having issues while saving
> the workd documents which the users saved previously.
> Thouhgt to be the permissions issue but we can save the file with a new name
> but when we edit and just click on save we are getting error not having
> proper permissions. Thouhgt might be antivirus is causing this problme I
> stopped the services for anti virus and still having same issue
> Appreciate and intereste to know whats the root cause and why this happened.
>
> Abid Mohiuddin
> Systems Admin.

The users local temp directory. The permissions problem is likely on the
network share. The test is can they save to their local drive? If so then
that confirms it.

--

"Abid" wrote:
| Thanks dave and appreciate your quick reply.
| The temp folder what you said are they the one on local desktop or the one
| which is on the file server under windows directory.
| Also would like to know the permissions on temp folder.
| This problem started only after I applied the critical updates last week.
| Thanks
|
| Abid M
|
| "Abid" wrote:
|
| > Having Windows 2003 File servers std edition and no SP1 installed.
| > Last week applied the critical updates since then having issues while
saving
| > the workd documents which the users saved previously.
| > Thouhgt to be the permissions issue but we can save the file with a new
name
| > but when we edit and just click on save we are getting error not having
| > proper permissions. Thouhgt might be antivirus is causing this problme I
| > stopped the services for anti virus and still having same issue
| > Appreciate and intereste to know whats the root cause and why this
happened.

| > Abid Mohiuddin
| > Systems Admin.

Thanks dave,
Yes already tested we are able to save it on local drive but not on network
share.
Permissions given on shared folder as we shared the folder and everyone has
the change and read permission.
I dont understand where is the temp directory on network share.

Abid M

"Abid" wrote:

> Having Windows 2003 File servers std edition and no SP1 installed.
> Last week applied the critical updates since then having issues while saving
> the workd documents which the users saved previously.
> Thouhgt to be the permissions issue but we can save the file with a new name
> but when we edit and just click on save we are getting error not having
> proper permissions. Thouhgt might be antivirus is causing this problme I
> stopped the services for anti virus and still having same issue
> Appreciate and intereste to know whats the root cause and why this happened.
>
> Abid Mohiuddin
> Systems Admin.

They'll also need delete permissions on the network share.

"I dont understand where is the temp directory on network share."

There isn't one.