Your question

Fan Started Buzzing... bad news?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Fan
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 6, 2006 11:44:33 PM

I'm hoping someone can lend a little wisdom my way about what's going on with my GPU fan on my aging Radeon 9700 Pro.

I recently came home to find the computer making a good deal more noise than it normally does. Typically, I bust out the air on this thing and give it a good dusting, clean the heat sinks, etc, and the noise stops.

This time, it was different. After cleaning, the constant acceleration/deceleration buzz/hum noise didn't go away. So, I booted the machine up with the case open and had a poke around. After poking around, I notice that it's the fan on my graphics card. Upon further examination, I noticed that it doesn't seem to be rotating in quite a perfect circle, but rather, a very *slight* oval... either that or the sticker is that's on it isn't centered...

As I was typing this post up... it faded away, and as I type this sentence, it came back.

I'm wondering if my fan isn't having some serious problems, but the fan seems to still be moving a good amount of air, so I wonder if this isn't something I can just live with.

I'd apprecite it if someone with some expirence with this could grant me a little insight.

More about : fan started buzzing bad news

September 7, 2006 12:24:34 AM

Wow, I'm suprised the fan on a card nearly 6 years old survived this long.
Those 9700's were/are truely something. TBH I'd get a replacement ASAP.
September 7, 2006 12:41:54 AM

I agree with Raven (although I hate him :p  ), I would look for a replacement.
Related resources
September 7, 2006 1:01:55 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping someone can lend a little wisdom my way about what's going on with my GPU fan on my aging Radeon 9700 Pro.

I recently came home to find the computer making a good deal more noise than it normally does. Typically, I bust out the air on this thing and give it a good dusting, clean the heat sinks, etc, and the noise stops.

This time, it was different. After cleaning, the constant acceleration/deceleration buzz/hum noise didn't go away. So, I booted the machine up with the case open and had a poke around. After poking around, I notice that it's the fan on my graphics card. Upon further examination, I noticed that it doesn't seem to be rotating in quite a perfect circle, but rather, a very *slight* oval... either that or the sticker is that's on it isn't centered...

As I was typing this post up... it faded away, and as I type this sentence, it came back.

I'm wondering if my fan isn't having some serious problems, but the fan seems to still be moving a good amount of air, so I wonder if this isn't something I can just live with.

I'd apprecite it if someone with some expirence with this could grant me a little insight.

Seems like one of the fan bearings has lost it, and thats making it spin in a oval formation. I agree with the other posters, get a new card.
September 7, 2006 1:23:10 AM

Quote:

Your still nitpicking about that post??? O get over it you baby :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
September 7, 2006 2:05:39 AM

Why would you replace the video card because the fan is dying?

Dear Sweet Baby Jebus: I guess you'd advise him to replace his car if his ashtrays were full? Or if the fanbelt broke. :p 

What's wrong with REPLACING THE FAN?

OR - at a pinch, removing the fan and heatsink (which are probably a proprietary single unit) and replace it with a $10 Crystal Orb, and use $2 worth of Arctic Thermal 2-part Adhesive?

Either of those will keep your video card cool, and save a bundle of money.

If the heatsink is held on with glue, then put the card inside a ziplock (sealed) plastic bag, and chuck it in the deep freeze for 30 minutes. Then take it out, and immediately insert a screwdriver blade between the card and the heatsink. Use a piece of rubber against the card PCB to prevent damage.

Give the screwdriver a twist (DO NOT LEVER IT!) to provide some pressure against the heatsink. DO NOT GO CRAZY. A smooth application of pressure over some seconds should result in the heatsink pinging off the GPU.

With luck, and a little skill you are left with a pristine GPU which will allow the application of a new heatsink and fan unit. Without luck, or with brute force applied, you will:

1) Break the PCB.
2) Delaminate the GPU, ruining it.
3) Damage other components on the board.

Good luck.
September 7, 2006 4:33:24 AM

Kid, your smoking some good crack if you honestly think I meant for him to replace his GPU and not the HS/F.
September 7, 2006 5:00:42 AM

Why not replace his graphics card, that thing is a dinosaur :p 
a c 152 U Graphics card
September 7, 2006 5:11:05 AM

why replace a card that works?

Better get rid of that 1978 mustang?
Time to burn this 40+ year old house?
Get the point.... If it works for someone there is no reason to replace it....

hell my dad still runs a p4 1.8 with sis650 onboard graphics 1 gig of ram,80 gig drive and not even a DVD burner ....Why? cause it works for him......

Edit well the :p  is may just be for a joke...is so....[code:1:20ab5997f6][/rant off][/code:1:20ab5997f6]
September 7, 2006 6:40:16 AM

Oh, I'm well aware of my need for a new system, but I'm also a little strapped for expendible cash (college student). I've got another system in the works... that is, planned. But right now with my financial situation, I'll probably just end up waiting until Vista and DirectX 10 arrives, which would follow my upgrade habits of a new system every major OS release.

This Radeon 9700 has been a real trooper though. It was only when I got Half-Life 2 that it truely began to show its age. It took me from C&C Renegade to Call of Duty to Warcraft III, etc, and now it's putting me through Oblivion. The R300 was a damn fine chip for its time.
September 7, 2006 10:32:27 AM

Quote:

Your still nitpicking about that post??? O get over it you baby :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Yea, got a problem? I will never forget that post...
September 7, 2006 1:27:41 PM

Quote:

Yea, got a problem? I will never forget that post...

I"m sorry!!!!! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

It was a bad day!!!! I was drinking, that was a trying time for me I swear!!!
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

*lub*
September 7, 2006 7:14:31 PM

A simple apology is not enough for such terrible deed. :lol: 
September 7, 2006 9:27:22 PM

Fine; How bout a beer? :lol: 
September 7, 2006 9:37:52 PM

Not even close...
September 8, 2006 1:16:30 AM

Ok then, your playing hard to get....a shot & a beer?? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: