sharing and security

randall

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hello,

OK, time to sound really stupid, but I looking for direction on setting
security and folder shares.

On my Win2003 server, I want to create a SHARED folder. This folder will
have several other folders under it. For Example:
\Shared\managers
\Shared\databases
\Shared\sales
\Shared\marketing

I want to only create on share. In other words, I want everyone to map a S:
drive to \Shared, but only have access to the folders they have proper
security too. I DON'T want to create a share for \managers, and one for
\sales, etc. One share, but set security on the directories for the users.

So far, this doesn't see to work. The only way the users can get into the
sub-folders and work is when I create a share on each sub folder and set
security there. Is what I want to do possible, or am I setting security
wrong? I've read the Microsoft articles, but they all see to point to
setting security and creating a share on each folders.

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Randall formulated the question :
> Hello,
>
> OK, time to sound really stupid, but I looking for direction on setting
> security and folder shares.
>
> On my Win2003 server, I want to create a SHARED folder. This folder will
> have several other folders under it. For Example:
> \Shared\managers
> \Shared\databases
> \Shared\sales
> \Shared\marketing
>
> I want to only create on share. In other words, I want everyone to map a S:
> drive to \Shared, but only have access to the folders they have proper
> security too. I DON'T want to create a share for \managers, and one for
> \sales, etc. One share, but set security on the directories for the users.
>
> So far, this doesn't see to work. The only way the users can get into the
> sub-folders and work is when I create a share on each sub folder and set
> security there. Is what I want to do possible, or am I setting security
> wrong? I've read the Microsoft articles, but they all see to point to
> setting security and creating a share on each folders.
>
> Thanks.

do you have any knowledge at all about sharing and/or ntfs permissions?

grtz

--
just a suggestion:

d;-p

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:33:39 -0500, "Randall" <aim7sparrow@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>OK, time to sound really stupid, but I looking for direction on setting
>security and folder shares.
>
>On my Win2003 server, I want to create a SHARED folder. This folder will
>have several other folders under it. For Example:
> \Shared\managers
> \Shared\databases
> \Shared\sales
> \Shared\marketing
>
>I want to only create on share. In other words, I want everyone to map a S:
>drive to \Shared, but only have access to the folders they have proper
>security too. I DON'T want to create a share for \managers, and one for
>\sales, etc. One share, but set security on the directories for the users.
>
>So far, this doesn't see to work. The only way the users can get into the
>sub-folders and work is when I create a share on each sub folder and set
>security there. Is what I want to do possible, or am I setting security
>wrong? I've read the Microsoft articles, but they all see to point to
>setting security and creating a share on each folders.
>
>Thanks.

You can do this with proper NTFS permissions on the sub-folders.

While all users who have access to \Shared will be able to see the
\shared\managers folder, only persons with permission to read
managers and its content can.

To totally hide folders that a user doesn't have permission to,
you need to upgrade to Windows Server 2003 with SP1:
See tip 9441 » Windows Server 2003 Access-based Enumeration tool.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Barry

Randall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OK, time to sound really stupid, but I looking for direction on setting
> security and folder shares.
>
> On my Win2003 server, I want to create a SHARED folder. This folder will
> have several other folders under it. For Example:
> \Shared\managers
> \Shared\databases
> \Shared\sales
> \Shared\marketing
>
> I want to only create on share. In other words, I want everyone to map a S:
> drive to \Shared, but only have access to the folders they have proper
> security too. I DON'T want to create a share for \managers, and one for
> \sales, etc. One share, but set security on the directories for the users.
>
> So far, this doesn't see to work. The only way the users can get into the
> sub-folders and work is when I create a share on each sub folder and set
> security there. Is what I want to do possible, or am I setting security
> wrong? I've read the Microsoft articles, but they all see to point to
> setting security and creating a share on each folders.
>
> Thanks.

Share "shared" and apply permissions on the server to the folders below
it...