SUBINACL 5.2.3790.1180 BUG, CHKDSK deletes ACLS.

Same problem as listed here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.file_system/browse_thread/thread/db171e68b54d13e5/dba1f32e684da5d3?q=chkdsk&rnum=27&hl=en#dba1f32e684da5d3

Just ran into this. It would be nice to know that while Microsoft
provides SUBINACL, that it is not actually usable due to this issue.

We ran CHKDSK after migrating hundreds of users home drives to this new
server.

Now all the rights are gone. Vanished. CHKDSK *fixed* them, so no-one
has access to the server subfolders.

Any fix? -- w2003 server. I see a w2k fix, but not a w2003 fix.

Barry

edavid3001@gmail.com wrote:
> Same problem as listed here:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.file_system/browse_thread/thread/db171e68b54d13e5/dba1f32e684da5d3?q=chkdsk&rnum=27&hl=en#dba1f32e684da5d3
>
> Just ran into this. It would be nice to know that while Microsoft
> provides SUBINACL, that it is not actually usable due to this issue.
>
> We ran CHKDSK after migrating hundreds of users home drives to this new
> server.
>
> Now all the rights are gone. Vanished. CHKDSK *fixed* them, so no-one
> has access to the server subfolders.
>
> Any fix? -- w2003 server. I see a w2k fix, but not a w2003 fix.

Dunno, does it to me too. Infuriating isnt it? I'm assuming cacls or
subinacl buggers something up on 2003sp1. Running chckdsk on my server
gives about 600,000 "replacing invalid security ID". Which is really
handy for the file server as no one can access their files. Even after
running chkdsk and verifying its ok. Resetting the permissions with
cacls breaks it again.

solution: Don't run chkdsk on the drive and hope it doesn't go down!

Barry

barry wrote:
> edavid3001@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Same problem as listed here:
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.file_system/browse_thread/thread/db171e68b54d13e5/dba1f32e684da5d3?q=chkdsk&rnum=27&hl=en#dba1f32e684da5d3
>>

>> Just ran into this. It would be nice to know that while Microsoft
>> provides SUBINACL, that it is not actually usable due to this issue.
>>
>> We ran CHKDSK after migrating hundreds of users home drives to this new
>> server.
>>
>> Now all the rights are gone. Vanished. CHKDSK *fixed* them, so no-one
>> has access to the server subfolders.
>>
>> Any fix? -- w2003 server. I see a w2k fix, but not a w2003 fix.
>>

> Dunno, does it to me too. Infuriating isnt it? I'm assuming cacls or
> subinacl buggers something up on 2003sp1. Running chckdsk on my server
> gives about 600,000 "replacing invalid security ID". Which is really
> handy for the file server as no one can access their files. Even after
> running chkdsk and verifying its ok. Resetting the permissions with
> cacls breaks it again.
>
> solution: Don't run chkdsk on the drive and hope it doesn't go down!

ah that link was to my thread anyway :)
Well, at least I know it's not just me, though I never did find a solution.

Finnally found the fix in article 831374. I have the patch installed,
but haven't tested it.

This one really needs to be a hotfix, not a special fix that is
available only if you ask for it.

Barry

<edavid3001@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Finnally found the fix in article 831374. I have the patch installed,
> but haven't tested it.
>
> This one really needs to be a hotfix, not a special fix that is
> available only if you ask for it.

I think I found that too, it's included in SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824721 which my
server has, and I still get the problem....