How to re-create ""Documents and Settings" folder on Win2k

Does anyone know how to re-create the "Documents and Settings" folder on a
Win2000/SP4 system. The "real" "Documents and Settings" folder on the
C-drive is
intact, as are the dependent folders. However, when any os utility, such as
Windows Explorer, attempts to find "D&S" it complains or cancels the
operation.

All attempts by me to create that folder (and dependents) were not
recognized by the os.
Also, when I attempted to follow MS Knowledge base article 305506 to
copy My Documents to another user ID with the same privileges, the copy
failed;
I assume this was because it couldn't find the "D&S" folder.

XP Pro has a provision that seems to re-create a "D&S," but I can't find any
equivalent function in Win2k.

Any ideas?

If the OS couldn't find it you would not be able to logon. You've got
something else going on there.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob Lear" wrote:
| Does anyone know how to re-create the "Documents and Settings" folder on a
| Win2000/SP4 system. The "real" "Documents and Settings" folder on the
| C-drive is
| intact, as are the dependent folders. However, when any os utility, such
as
| Windows Explorer, attempts to find "D&S" it complains or cancels the
| operation.
|
| All attempts by me to create that folder (and dependents) were not
| recognized by the os.
| Also, when I attempted to follow MS Knowledge base article 305506 to
| copy My Documents to another user ID with the same privileges, the copy
| failed;
| I assume this was because it couldn't find the "D&S" folder.
|
| XP Pro has a provision that seems to re-create a "D&S," but I can't find
any
| equivalent function in Win2k.
|
| Any ideas?

Dave, you are quite right. The "something else" is that in attempting to
restore My Documents folder, I blithely created one using the "normal"
desktop creation wizard. The result was a shortcut pointing to
"Documents and Settings\userid\desktop\" , not the one created by Win2k when
the ID was established. My other IDs have a different shortcut for My
Documents pointing to D&S\userid\My Documents. There is also a 4th tab
selection for Location and the icon is different (smaller).

I am still not out of the woods yet, since I have not been able to find any
way to copy or create this different shortcut. I may be close to creating a
new ID and copying everything over to it, but I would probably cause more
problems in doing that.

Do you have any further ideas? You tip was most helpful. At least, now I
am barking up the right tree. Thanks so much.

Bob Lear

************
"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> If the OS couldn't find it you would not be able to logon. You've got
> something else going on there.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Bob Lear" wrote:
> | Does anyone know how to re-create the "Documents and Settings" folder on
> | Win2000/SP4 system. The "real" "Documents and Settings" folder on the
> | C-drive is
> | intact, as are the dependent folders. However, when any os utility,
such
> as
> | Windows Explorer, attempts to find "D&S" it complains or cancels the
> | operation.
> |
> | All attempts by me to create that folder (and dependents) were not
> | recognized by the os.
> | Also, when I attempted to follow MS Knowledge base article 305506 to
> | copy My Documents to another user ID with the same privileges, the copy
> | failed;
> | I assume this was because it couldn't find the "D&S" folder.
> |
> | XP Pro has a provision that seems to re-create a "D&S," but I can't find
> any
> | equivalent function in Win2k.
> |
> | Any ideas?

Are you just missing the 'My Documents' folder on the desktop? If so Control
Panel|Folder Options|View, then check the box for "Show My Documents on the
Desktop"

--

"Bob Lear" wrote:
| Dave, you are quite right. The "something else" is that in attempting to
| restore My Documents folder, I blithely created one using the "normal"
| desktop creation wizard. The result was a shortcut pointing to
| "Documents and Settings\userid\desktop\" , not the one created by Win2k
when
| the ID was established. My other IDs have a different shortcut for My
| Documents pointing to D&S\userid\My Documents. There is also a 4th tab
| selection for Location and the icon is different (smaller).
|
| I am still not out of the woods yet, since I have not been able to find
any
| way to copy or create this different shortcut. I may be close to creating
| new ID and copying everything over to it, but I would probably cause more
| problems in doing that.
|
| Do you have any further ideas? You tip was most helpful. At least, now I
| am barking up the right tree. Thanks so much.
|
| Bob Lear

Bingo! - I'm sorry I didn't draw the connection before. After a couple of
iterations after the "Show My Documents on the Desktop" all is peace and
quiet with Win2k; my applications and utilities are working normally.

Thanks again for your knowledge and patience, Dave.

Bob Lear

****************
> Are you just missing the 'My Documents' folder on the desktop? If so
Control
> Panel|Folder Options|View, then check the box for "Show My Documents on
the
> Desktop"
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Bob Lear" wrote:
> | Dave, you are quite right. The "something else" is that in attempting
> | restore My Documents folder, I blithely created one using the "normal"
> | desktop creation wizard. The result was a shortcut pointing to
> | "Documents and Settings\userid\desktop\" , not the one created by Win2k
> when
> | the ID was established. My other IDs have a different shortcut for My
> | Documents pointing to D&S\userid\My Documents. There is also a 4th tab
> | selection for Location and the icon is different (smaller).
> |
> | I am still not out of the woods yet, since I have not been able to find
> any
> | way to copy or create this different shortcut. I may be close to
creating
> | new ID and copying everything over to it, but I would probably cause
more
> | problems in doing that.
> |
> | Do you have any further ideas? You tip was most helpful. At least, now
> | am barking up the right tree. Thanks so much.
> |
> | Bob Lear

That's good to hear. You're welcome.