Filenames too long to work with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004

I have files in a temporary internet folder that are really long and I
cannot delete them, move them or copy them.

How can I get rid of them?

thanks...

Pedro pretended :
> I have files in a temporary internet folder that are really long and I
> cannot delete them, move them or copy them.
>
> How can I get rid of them?
>
> thanks...

hold down the shift key while you press delete
this skips the check of filenames and so on
everything gets deleted right away without going past recycle bin
so be carefull to what you delete

grtz

--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net

Hi, Pedro.

Files in the TIF are supposed to be expendable. If you are sure there are
none that you want to keep (and there should not be), then exit Internet
Explorer, open a "DOS" window and delete the entire TIF folder. Next time
you start IE, it will be rebuilt so quickly you won't notice.

To find out which is your TIF folder, before you close IE, click Tools |
Internet Options... On the first tab (General), the middle section is
Temporary Internet Files. Click Settings... to see another window. In the
middle of this window, you will see the location of your TIF folder; this is
the one that you can get rid of from the "DOS" window. Assuming that your
TIF folder is C:\TIF\Temporary Internet Files\ (It probably isn't, but I've
changed mine and can't recall what the default was), use the Remove
Directory command with the /s switch to remove the entire folder, including
all subfolders and files, like this:

C:\>rd C:\TIF\Temporary Internet Files /s

It should ask, Are you Sure? (unless you also use the /q switch for rd).
Say Yes.

But, as long as you are in the TIF part of IE anyhow, why not just use the
Delete Files... button there on the General tab?

In fact, why not go to the Advanced tab, scroll way down to Security, and
check the box that says to Empty TIF when browser is closed? Especially if
you are using broadband, IE can re-download most pages about as quickly as
it can get them from the cache, anyhow.

The TIF files and folders are special in Windows/IE. They can't easily be
managed using the same tools that we use for other files. It's usually best
to use these special tools built into IE. You might want to check out the
several choices available from IE's Internet Options.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Pedro" <gunkakount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have files in a temporary internet folder that are really long and I
> cannot delete them, move them or copy them.
>
> How can I get rid of them?
>
> thanks...

Pedro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004

Didn't work. Thank you for taking the time though. Mucho appreciated.

"chriske911" <chriske911-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Pedro pretended :
> > I have files in a temporary internet folder that are really long and I
> > cannot delete them, move them or copy them.
> >
> > How can I get rid of them?
> >
> > thanks...
>
> hold down the shift key while you press delete
> this skips the check of filenames and so on
> everything gets deleted right away without going past recycle bin
> so be carefull to what you delete
>
> grtz
>
> --
> This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
> Site : http://www.mesnews.net

Pedro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004

It worked! Thanks so much!

Pedro

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Pedro.
>
> Files in the TIF are supposed to be expendable. If you are sure there are
> none that you want to keep (and there should not be), then exit Internet
> Explorer, open a "DOS" window and delete the entire TIF folder. Next time
> you start IE, it will be rebuilt so quickly you won't notice.
>
> To find out which is your TIF folder, before you close IE, click Tools |
> Internet Options... On the first tab (General), the middle section is
> Temporary Internet Files. Click Settings... to see another window. In
the
> middle of this window, you will see the location of your TIF folder; this
is
> the one that you can get rid of from the "DOS" window. Assuming that your
> TIF folder is C:\TIF\Temporary Internet Files\ (It probably isn't, but
I've
> changed mine and can't recall what the default was), use the Remove
> Directory command with the /s switch to remove the entire folder,
including
> all subfolders and files, like this:
>
> C:\>rd C:\TIF\Temporary Internet Files /s
>
> It should ask, Are you Sure? (unless you also use the /q switch for rd).
> Say Yes.
>
> But, as long as you are in the TIF part of IE anyhow, why not just use the
> Delete Files... button there on the General tab?
>
> In fact, why not go to the Advanced tab, scroll way down to Security, and
> check the box that says to Empty TIF when browser is closed? Especially
if
> you are using broadband, IE can re-download most pages about as quickly as
> it can get them from the cache, anyhow.
>
> The TIF files and folders are special in Windows/IE. They can't easily be
> managed using the same tools that we use for other files. It's usually
best
> to use these special tools built into IE. You might want to check out the
> several choices available from IE's Internet Options.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Pedro" <gunkakount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have files in a temporary internet folder that are really long and I
> > cannot delete them, move them or copy them.
> >
> > How can I get rid of them?
> >
> > thanks...

Hi, Pedro.

You're welcome. And thanks for the report back. ;<)

RC