Folder Security/Permissions

I know this question must have been ask a million times.
I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
permissions on folders.

I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
sub folders
test1, test2, test3 ect....

I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.

Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
share the subfolders?

I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.

Tdn
4 answers Last reply
More about folder security permissions

    Thanks Barry!!
    How would I hide the files that I dont want the other users to see?

    TDN

    "tdn" wrote:

    > I know this question must have been ask a million times.
    > I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
    > permissions on folders.
    >
    > I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
    > sub folders
    > test1, test2, test3 ect....
    >
    > I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.
    >
    > Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
    > share the subfolders?
    >
    > I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.
    >
    > Tdn

    Thanks!!

    "tdn" wrote:

    > I know this question must have been ask a million times.
    > I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
    > permissions on folders.
    >
    > I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
    > sub folders
    > test1, test2, test3 ect....
    >
    > I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.
    >
    > Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
    > share the subfolders?
    >
    > I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.
    >
    > Tdn
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "tdn" <tdn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I know this question must have been ask a million times.
    > I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
    > permissions on folders.
    >
    > I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
    > sub folders
    > test1, test2, test3 ect....
    >
    > I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.
    >
    > Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
    > share the subfolders?
    >
    > I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.
    >
    > Tdn

    no, share the parent and apply permissions to the directories below it. Give
    everyone read access to 'this folder only', and then give the correct
    permissions to the sub directories that each department has.

    You can hide the files that people don't have access too if you're running
    2003 sp1.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    install this:

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04A563D9-78D9-4342-A485-B030AC442084&displaylang=en>

    > Thanks Barry!!
    > How would I hide the files that I dont want the other users to see?
    >
    > TDN
    >
    > "tdn" wrote:
    >
    >> I know this question must have been ask a million times.
    >> I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for
    >> setting
    >> permissions on folders.
    >>
    >> I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to
    >> create
    >> sub folders
    >> test1, test2, test3 ect....
    >>
    >> I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.
    >>
    >> Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
    >> share the subfolders?
    >>
    >> I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.
    >>
    >> Tdn

Security File System Permissions Windows