Folder Security/Permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
July 14, 2005 6:01:03 PM

I know this question must have been ask a million times.
I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
permissions on folders.

I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
sub folders
test1, test2, test3 ect....

I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.

Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
share the subfolders?

I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.

Tdn
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 15, 2005 11:03:01 AM

Thanks Barry!!
How would I hide the files that I dont want the other users to see?

TDN

"tdn" wrote:

> I know this question must have been ask a million times.
> I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
> permissions on folders.
>
> I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
> sub folders
> test1, test2, test3 ect....
>
> I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.
>
> Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
> share the subfolders?
>
> I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.
>
> Tdn
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 15, 2005 11:37:09 AM

Thanks!!

"tdn" wrote:

> I know this question must have been ask a million times.
> I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
> permissions on folders.
>
> I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
> sub folders
> test1, test2, test3 ect....
>
> I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.
>
> Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
> share the subfolders?
>
> I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.
>
> Tdn
Related resources
July 15, 2005 4:35:10 PM

"tdn" <tdn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know this question must have been ask a million times.
> I am new to this site and would like to know the best practise for setting
> permissions on folders.
>
> I will create a folder called Test (sample) and below would like to create
> sub folders
> test1, test2, test3 ect....
>
> I want different departments acessing the different sub folders.
>
> Do i set the permissions for everyone on the main folder (test) and then
> share the subfolders?
>
> I would also like to hide the folders from all other users if possible.
>
> Tdn

no, share the parent and apply permissions to the directories below it. Give
everyone read access to 'this folder only', and then give the correct
permissions to the sub directories that each department has.

You can hide the files that people don't have access too if you're running
2003 sp1.
July 15, 2005 7:19:26 PM

install this:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...;