When will Cingular convert the ATT TDMA towers?

Last response: in Network Providers
November 11, 2004 7:53:01 PM

Now that Cingular has bought ATT when will they be converting over the ATT
towers from TDMA to GSM? I live in TN and Cingular has pitiful GSM coverage
between Nashville and Knoxville. Around a quarter of the state in that area
has no GSM but, has plenty of TDMA coverage. Does ATT not have towers there
of their own or was ATT offering service there by roaming off of some
smaller TDMA cellular providers? Cingular was Bellsouth Mobility and it's
sad that such a big southern company cannot offer decent coverage in between
Nashville and Knoxville. If you stay on the interstate between those cities
you will be fine but, any where else there is no service unless you have the
GAIT plan that I currently have or Verizon/Sprint. I'm getting tired of the
$20 additional line cost for the GAIT plan and $5 more for less minutes on
the same line. I don't really need gate except in the summer. If I drop
GAIT I'm afraid I'll not be able to pick it back up in the future. It would
be nice to have more modern GAIT phones too. Cingular needs to improve
their GSM coverage in east TN and everything will be alright.

Ben
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 2:04:12 AM

"Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> Now that Cingular has bought ATT when will they be converting over the ATT
> towers from TDMA to GSM? I live in TN and Cingular has pitiful GSM
> coverage between Nashville and Knoxville. Around a quarter of the state
> in that area has no GSM but, has plenty of TDMA coverage. Does ATT not
> have towers there of their own or was ATT offering service there by
> roaming off of some smaller TDMA cellular providers? Cingular was
> Bellsouth Mobility and it's sad that such a big southern company cannot
> offer decent coverage in between Nashville and Knoxville. If you stay on
> the interstate between those cities you will be fine but, any where else
> there is no service unless you have the GAIT plan that I currently have or
> Verizon/Sprint. I'm getting tired of the $20 additional line cost for the
> GAIT plan and $5 more for less minutes on the same line. I don't really
> need gate except in the summer. If I drop GAIT I'm afraid I'll not be
> able to pick it back up in the future. It would be nice to have more
> modern GAIT phones too. Cingular needs to improve their GSM coverage in
> east TN and everything will be alright.
>
> Ben

You shouldn't be paying extra for GAIT service. I just upgraded my plan in
Dallas to the Nation 1000 w/rollover @ $39.99 and kept my GAIT option.

Call customer service and check it out.

Bob
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 2:04:13 AM

"Bob Walker" <rowalker@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> You shouldn't be paying extra for GAIT service. I just upgraded my plan
> in Dallas to the Nation 1000 w/rollover @ $39.99 and kept my GAIT option.
>
> Call customer service and check it out.
>
> Bob

The GAIT plan with 400 minutes costs $45 and it costs $20 for another line
on the same plan and it only has 1,000 night and weekend minutes. I don't
know how you keep a GAIT option. GAIT Nation is a plan just like GSM Nation
is a plan. With taxes included my monthly bill is $79.71 and I'm paying
that for one more month until my contract is up and then I don't know what
I'm going to do but, I'm not going to keep on paying that kind of money.

Ben
November 12, 2004 2:04:13 AM

Let us know if you have any problems making calls in an analog area and
if they charge extra for those calls on the next bill. It doesn't appear
that analog calls are part of that pricing plan.

JPH

Bob Walker wrote:
> "Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
>
>>Now that Cingular has bought ATT when will they be converting over the ATT
>>towers from TDMA to GSM? I live in TN and Cingular has pitiful GSM
>>coverage between Nashville and Knoxville. Around a quarter of the state
>>in that area has no GSM but, has plenty of TDMA coverage. Does ATT not
>>have towers there of their own or was ATT offering service there by
>>roaming off of some smaller TDMA cellular providers? Cingular was
>>Bellsouth Mobility and it's sad that such a big southern company cannot
>>offer decent coverage in between Nashville and Knoxville. If you stay on
>>the interstate between those cities you will be fine but, any where else
>>there is no service unless you have the GAIT plan that I currently have or
>>Verizon/Sprint. I'm getting tired of the $20 additional line cost for the
>>GAIT plan and $5 more for less minutes on the same line. I don't really
>>need gate except in the summer. If I drop GAIT I'm afraid I'll not be
>>able to pick it back up in the future. It would be nice to have more
>>modern GAIT phones too. Cingular needs to improve their GSM coverage in
>>east TN and everything will be alright.
>>
>>Ben
>>

> You shouldn't be paying extra for GAIT service. I just upgraded my plan in
> Dallas to the Nation 1000 w/rollover @ $39.99 and kept my GAIT option.
>
> Call customer service and check it out.
>
> Bob

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 2:16:37 AM

In <1100213602.YOONw2lVc0hlkjlwuzdXNQ@teranews> on Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:53:01
-0600, "Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote:

>Now that Cingular has bought ATT when will they be converting over the ATT
>towers from TDMA to GSM?

ATTWS already completed overlay of TDMA with GSM 850. To take advantage of it
you must have a handset that supports GSM 850.

>I live in TN and Cingular has pitiful GSM coverage
>between Nashville and Knoxville. Around a quarter of the state in that area
>has no GSM but, has plenty of TDMA coverage. Does ATT not have towers there
>of their own or was ATT offering service there by roaming off of some
>smaller TDMA cellular providers?

That's possible -- check the coverage maps.

>Cingular was Bellsouth Mobility and it's
>sad that such a big southern company cannot offer decent coverage in between
>Nashville and Knoxville.

It's more a matter of licenses and money than sadness.

>If you stay on the interstate between those cities
>you will be fine but, any where else there is no service unless you have the
>GAIT plan that I currently have or Verizon/Sprint.

You may be roaming on AMPS, but that will be going away in a few years.

>I'm getting tired of the
>$20 additional line cost for the GAIT plan and $5 more for less minutes on
>the same line. I don't really need gate except in the summer. If I drop
>GAIT I'm afraid I'll not be able to pick it back up in the future. It would
>be nice to have more modern GAIT phones too.

Won't happen -- GAIT has now outlived its purpose.

>Cingular needs to improve
>their GSM coverage in east TN and everything will be alright.

That will probably happen sooner or later.

November 12, 2004 2:18:40 AM

In article <MdSkd.12543$fC4.5522@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
"Bob Walker" <rowalker@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I just upgraded my plan in
> Dallas to the Nation 1000 w/rollover @ $39.99 and kept my GAIT option.

I'd lose money if I ever had to go on a such a plan. It has no Nights
and Weekends Free Minutes, and no Free Mobile to Mobile. But then thats
why they offer different plans.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:51:00 AM

> "Bob Walker" <rowalker@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> You shouldn't be paying extra for GAIT service. I just upgraded my plan
>> in Dallas to the Nation 1000 w/rollover @ $39.99 and kept my GAIT option.
>>
>> Call customer service and check it out.
>>
>> Bob
>
> The GAIT plan with 400 minutes costs $45 and it costs $20 for another line
> on the same plan and it only has 1,000 night and weekend minutes. I don't
> know how you keep a GAIT option. GAIT Nation is a plan just like GSM
> Nation is a plan. With taxes included my monthly bill is $79.71 and I'm
> paying that for one more month until my contract is up and then I don't
> know what I'm going to do but, I'm not going to keep on paying that kind
> of money.
>
> Ben

As I said, talk to customer service. Mine is a Nation plan. A line on my
bill is "GAIT calling area" at no charge.

Bob
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:55:10 AM

> In article <MdSkd.12543$fC4.5522@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Bob Walker" <rowalker@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded my plan in
>> Dallas to the Nation 1000 w/rollover @ $39.99 and kept my GAIT option.
>
> I'd lose money if I ever had to go on a such a plan. It has no Nights
> and Weekends Free Minutes, and no Free Mobile to Mobile. But then thats
> why they offer different plans.

That's right. This one works great for me.

Bob
November 12, 2004 9:33:09 AM

news:p pSkd.4771$_3.59830@typhoon.sonic.net...

> In <1100213602.YOONw2lVc0hlkjlwuzdXNQ@teranews> on Thu, 11 Nov 2004
16:53:01
> -0600, "Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote:
>
> >Now that Cingular has bought ATT when will they be converting over the
ATT
> >towers from TDMA to GSM?
>
> ATTWS already completed overlay of TDMA with GSM 850. To take advantage
of it
> you must have a handset that supports GSM 850.

Actually, ATTWS had almost no GSM 850 hardware in place when they closed the
sale with Cingular. Cingular converted all of their 850 systems, but ATTWS
converted only their 1900 networks to GSM. They were still selling TDMA,
both 800 & 1900 through the day of closing.

According to GSM World, ATT's network between Nashville and Knoxville is GSM
1900. T-Mobile also owns spectrum along the same stretch of highway, but it
isn't built out very well yet. Getting the rest of ATT's netwrok converted
is one of Cingular's biggest priorities. (At least that's what they're
telling us.)

As for those that asked about rate plans; as of this past Monday, GAIT
phones can be put on the GSM Nation Family talk plans, complete with M2M and
Unlimited NW. And, yes, you keep your GAIT calling area, and, no, you don't
pay roaming on AMPS. The assumption is that at least one of the phones on
the FT is going to be GSM. A call to C/S may get you someone who will change
you to the GSM plan without having to go to FT. C/S reps are always making
deals that the dealers can't make, because we have limited access to the
billing system.

Mark

..

---
November 12, 2004 6:16:31 PM

news:p pSkd.4771$_3.59830@typhoon.sonic.net...

>>I'm getting tired of the
>>$20 additional line cost for the GAIT plan and $5 more for less minutes on
>>the same line. I don't really need gate except in the summer. If I drop
>>GAIT I'm afraid I'll not be able to pick it back up in the future. It
>>would
>>be nice to have more modern GAIT phones too.
>
> Won't happen -- GAIT has now outlived its purpose.

I presume you mean its "purpose" as it relates to Cingular management. For
users in non-metropolitan areas it still is very useful, as my T62u is often
on TDMA in areas of central Texas. I even see AMPS occasionally.

In my opion GAIT was under-utilized and under-promoted. Of course, I'm not
running a cellular phone company.

Bob
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:21:05 PM

In <FOYkd.28164$Qv5.6028@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004
06:33:09 GMT, "noone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>news:p pSkd.4771$_3.59830@typhoon.sonic.net...

>> ATTWS already completed overlay of TDMA with GSM 850. To take advantage of it
>> you must have a handset that supports GSM 850.
>>
>Actually, ATTWS had almost no GSM 850 hardware in place when they closed the
>sale with Cingular. Cingular converted all of their 850 systems, but ATTWS
>converted only their 1900 networks to GSM. They were still selling TDMA,
>both 800 & 1900 through the day of closing.

AT&T Wireless Reports Complete First Quarter Results
Friday, April 23, 2004

Network Upgrade

Capital expenditures, including internal use software, were $739
million in the first quarter, an increase of 72.6 percent from the
year ago quarter. The majority of the company's capital spending
during the first quarter of 2004 related to the GSM/GPRS/EDGE
network, including the overlay of 850 MHz GSM radios in 850 MHz
markets and other investments to enhance quality and expand capacity
of the GSM/GPRS/EDGE network.

November 12, 2004 7:48:22 PM

In <jt4ld.30076$Al3.973@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004
15:16:31 GMT, "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>news:p pSkd.4771$_3.59830@typhoon.sonic.net...

>> Won't happen -- GAIT has now outlived its purpose.
>
>I presume you mean its "purpose" as it relates to Cingular management.

Its purpose was to facilitate GSM transition. Now that GSM overlay has been
completed, that purpose no longer exists.

>For
>users in non-metropolitan areas it still is very useful, as my T62u is often
>on TDMA in areas of central Texas. I even see AMPS occasionally.

I agree that GAIT is still useful from a consumer standpoint. The problem is
that it's no longer useful from the standpoint of the carrier.

>In my opion GAIT was under-utilized and under-promoted. Of course, I'm not
>running a cellular phone company.

The problem is that GAIT isn't profitable -- not enough revenue to justify all
the costs:

* Cingular wants to phase out TDMA as soon as possible to increase network
efficiency and lower costs. AMPS will likewise be going away.

* Existing GAIT handsets are no longer competitive, and new GAIT handsets
aren't financially attractive due to higher costs.

* GAIT is a big Support issue.

* It's unlikely that many consumers would be willing to pay the premium price
needed to make GAIT financially attractive to the carrier, particularly with
both TDMA and AMPS being phased out.

In other words, from the carrier standpoint, GAIT was a necessary short-term
evil that's no longer necessary or even attractive.

November 12, 2004 7:48:23 PM

> In <jt4ld.30076$Al3.973@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004
> 15:16:31 GMT, "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> >news:p pSkd.4771$_3.59830@typhoon.sonic.net...
>
> >> Won't happen -- GAIT has now outlived its purpose.
> >
> >I presume you mean its "purpose" as it relates to Cingular management.
>
> Its purpose was to facilitate GSM transition. Now that GSM overlay has
been
> completed, that purpose no longer exists.
>
> >For
> >users in non-metropolitan areas it still is very useful, as my T62u is
often
> >on TDMA in areas of central Texas. I even see AMPS occasionally.
>
> I agree that GAIT is still useful from a consumer standpoint. The problem
is
> that it's no longer useful from the standpoint of the carrier.
>
> >In my opion GAIT was under-utilized and under-promoted. Of course, I'm
not
> >running a cellular phone company.
>
> The problem is that GAIT isn't profitable -- not enough revenue to justify
all
> the costs:
>
> * Cingular wants to phase out TDMA as soon as possible to increase network
> efficiency and lower costs. AMPS will likewise be going away.
>
> * Existing GAIT handsets are no longer competitive, and new GAIT handsets
> aren't financially attractive due to higher costs.
>
> * GAIT is a big Support issue.
>
> * It's unlikely that many consumers would be willing to pay the premium
price
> needed to make GAIT financially attractive to the carrier, particularly
with
> both TDMA and AMPS being phased out.

My Cingular GAIT plan was actually $10/month cheaper then my current GSM
plan. The main difference is that there are no roaming charges with the GSM
plan, but my roaming over one _year_ never added up to anything close to
$10.00. I wanted new (camera) phones, so I had to go with the GSM only plan.
So now I pay slightly more for less coverage. I imagine this situation is
temporary anyway- until there is more GSM coverage. The good news is that I
kept my 2 GAIT phones (t62u), so if I know I am going somewhere where there
is TDMA but no GSM, I am still in good shape, and when I do roam with those
phones, it will be free.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 10:39:59 PM

"Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message

> My Cingular GAIT plan was actually $10/month cheaper then my current GSM
> plan. The main difference is that there are no roaming charges with the
> GSM
> plan, but my roaming over one _year_ never added up to anything close to
> $10.00. I wanted new (camera) phones, so I had to go with the GSM only
> plan.
> So now I pay slightly more for less coverage. I imagine this situation is
> temporary anyway- until there is more GSM coverage. The good news is that
> kept my 2 GAIT phones (t62u), so if I know I am going somewhere where
> there
> is TDMA but no GSM, I am still in good shape, and when I do roam with
> those
> phones, it will be free.

If you are now on a GSM-only plan your T62u is probably not going to give
you access to TDMA or AMPS. You might discuss the problem with Customer
Service to see whether they can/will activate "GAIT Calling Area" on your
account to accomodate the T62u as a backup phone. Several of us would be
interested in what you learn.

It might have been possible to just move the SIM from your T62u to the
camera phone without any changes to your account other than extending your
contract. Again, I'm not sure. Does anyone else know whether this would
work?

Bob
November 12, 2004 10:40:00 PM

"Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message
>
> > My Cingular GAIT plan was actually $10/month cheaper then my current GSM
> > plan. The main difference is that there are no roaming charges with the
> > GSM
> > plan, but my roaming over one _year_ never added up to anything close to
> > $10.00. I wanted new (camera) phones, so I had to go with the GSM only
> > plan.
> > So now I pay slightly more for less coverage. I imagine this situation
is
> > temporary anyway- until there is more GSM coverage. The good news is
that
> > kept my 2 GAIT phones (t62u), so if I know I am going somewhere where
> > there
> > is TDMA but no GSM, I am still in good shape, and when I do roam with
> > those
> > phones, it will be free.
> >

> If you are now on a GSM-only plan your T62u is probably not going to give
> you access to TDMA or AMPS. You might discuss the problem with Customer
> Service to see whether they can/will activate "GAIT Calling Area" on your
> account to accomodate the T62u as a backup phone. Several of us would be
> interested in what you learn.

I had called a few weeks ago, and several different reps all told me the
same thing. All I need to do is move the SIM back to the GAIT phone, and
call them to have that phone activated (they need the IME number). No
charge, and I can switch it back again using the same procedure. Apparently,
I can't just move the SIM. They don't allow this as a fraud protection
measure, or so they say.

> It might have been possible to just move the SIM from your T62u to the
> camera phone without any changes to your account other than extending your
> contract. Again, I'm not sure. Does anyone else know whether this would
> work?
>
> Bob

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 11:38:45 PM

> I had called a few weeks ago, and several different reps all told me the
> same thing. All I need to do is move the SIM back to the GAIT phone, and
> call them to have that phone activated (they need the IME number). No
> charge, and I can switch it back again using the same procedure.
> Apparently,
> I can't just move the SIM. They don't allow this as a fraud protection
> measure, or so they say.

Thanks, Alan. I was under the impression you could just move the T62u SIM
to any GSM phone and then back. This is helpful information.

Bob
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 11:38:46 PM

You can just move the SIM to a GSM only phone and it will work in your local
area. It will not however roam as the roaming carriers apparently look for
the EMI? to identify the phone as an authorized roamer. Your T62U will
fuction as a GSM only phone if you go into the menu and set it to "GSM Only"

bob

"Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:p b9ld.30145$Al3.17126@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

> "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message
>

>> I had called a few weeks ago, and several different reps all told me the
>> same thing. All I need to do is move the SIM back to the GAIT phone, and
>> call them to have that phone activated (they need the IME number). No
>> charge, and I can switch it back again using the same procedure.
>> Apparently,
>> I can't just move the SIM. They don't allow this as a fraud protection
>> measure, or so they say.
>>

> Thanks, Alan. I was under the impression you could just move the T62u SIM
> to any GSM phone and then back. This is helpful information.
>
> Bob

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 12:46:29 AM

Ok I called CS and changed my gati plan to GSM nation got 100 more peek and
nite/weekend went from 5K to unlimited also got unlimited mobile to mobile
had zero before. Bill is $5 less. CS sayes no change in the way my phone
works even if roaming and still no roaming charge. Well I will know in a
few months if all is true. The unlimited nite/weekend will allow me to use
the CSD data without worry I've come close to the 5k a few times.
November 13, 2004 5:01:04 PM

Thanks, but the whole point is I need it to work on TDMA when I am not in a
GSM area. Also, when I switched over to the v220 and had it activated, the
t62u would NOT work.

"Robert Clark" <opaclark@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> You can just move the SIM to a GSM only phone and it will work in your
local
> area. It will not however roam as the roaming carriers apparently look
for
> the EMI? to identify the phone as an authorized roamer. Your T62U will
> fuction as a GSM only phone if you go into the menu and set it to "GSM
Only"

> bob
>
> "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:p b9ld.30145$Al3.17126@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> >
> > "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> I had called a few weeks ago, and several different reps all told me
the
> >> same thing. All I need to do is move the SIM back to the GAIT phone,
and
> >> call them to have that phone activated (they need the IME number). No
> >> charge, and I can switch it back again using the same procedure.
> >> Apparently,
> >> I can't just move the SIM. They don't allow this as a fraud protection
> >> measure, or so they say.
> >>

> > Thanks, Alan. I was under the impression you could just move the T62u
SIM
> > to any GSM phone and then back. This is helpful information.
> >
> > Bob

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 9:43:56 PM

GSM phones are *not* activated -- it's all controlled by the SIM (and network
provisioning)!

In <Asold.570$%M4.123@trndny08> on Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:01:04 GMT, "Alan"
<not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:

>Thanks, but the whole point is I need it to work on TDMA when I am not in a
>GSM area. Also, when I switched over to the v220 and had it activated, the
>t62u would NOT work.
>

>"Robert Clark" <opaclark@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> You can just move the SIM to a GSM only phone and it will work in your
>local
>> area. It will not however roam as the roaming carriers apparently look
>for
>> the EMI? to identify the phone as an authorized roamer. Your T62U will
>> fuction as a GSM only phone if you go into the menu and set it to "GSM
>Only"
>>
>> bob
>>
>> "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> news:p b9ld.30145$Al3.17126@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>> >
>> > "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message

>the
>and
>> >>

>> > Thanks, Alan. I was under the impression you could just move the T62u
>SIM
>> > to any GSM phone and then back. This is helpful information.
>> >
>> > Bob

November 13, 2004 9:43:57 PM

>>SIM

I use my GAIT sim in a gsm only phone back and to the Nokia 6340 no
problems. The IME number is used for the TDMA and AMPS side which is part
of the phone not the SIM. There is some info on the sim for TDMA and AMPS
but the IME number is not. This is what makes a GAIT sim different. This
difference may make the GAIT sim not work in some phones but I've tested
Nokia 5190,8290, and Mitsubishi G310 all work in GSM mode and all are
unlocked.
November 14, 2004 8:18:08 AM

Heres is what happened, maybe you can explain it to me:

Went to store, purchased two GSM phones. Switched from GAIT plan to GSM
plan.
Took SIM out of my GAIT phone and put it in my GSM phone. Called service,
activated the GSM phone. Works.
Wife still had other GAIT phone. Calls to this phone were not even attempted
by the network. Failed instantly.
Took SIM from her phone, put it in 2nd GSM phone, called service, activated
this phone. Works.

Next, I will try moving SIM back to one of the GAIT phones and try it in
various modes.

> GSM phones are *not* activated -- it's all controlled by the SIM (and
network
> provisioning)!
>
> In <Asold.570$%M4.123@trndny08> on Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:01:04 GMT, "Alan"
> <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, but the whole point is I need it to work on TDMA when I am not in
> >GSM area. Also, when I switched over to the v220 and had it activated,
the
> >t62u would NOT work.
> >

> >"Robert Clark" <opaclark@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> You can just move the SIM to a GSM only phone and it will work in your
> >local
> >> area. It will not however roam as the roaming carriers apparently look
> >for
> >> the EMI? to identify the phone as an authorized roamer. Your T62U will
> >> fuction as a GSM only phone if you go into the menu and set it to "GSM
> >Only"
> >>
> >> bob
> >>
> >> "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> news:p b9ld.30145$Al3.17126@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

> >the
> >and
No

T62u
> >SIM

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:37:24 PM

In <kUBld.8316$tI3.5127@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:18:08 GMT, "Alan"
<not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:

>Heres is what happened, maybe you can explain it to me:
>
>Went to store, purchased two GSM phones. Switched from GAIT plan to GSM
>plan.
>Took SIM out of my GAIT phone and put it in my GSM phone. Called service,
>activated the GSM phone. Works.

Your account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the phone
wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.

>Wife still had other GAIT phone. Calls to this phone were not even attempted
>by the network. Failed instantly.

Account hadn't yet been provisioned and/or SIM hadn't been updated.

>Took SIM from her phone, put it in 2nd GSM phone, called service, activated
>this phone. Works.

Her account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the phone
wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.

>Next, I will try moving SIM back to one of the GAIT phones and try it in
>various modes.

>> GSM phones are *not* activated -- it's all controlled by the SIM (and network
>> provisioning)!

November 15, 2004 1:44:33 AM

Okay, I moved the SIM back to my GAIT phone. Results:

Tested only in my local area, so I don't know about roaming results.
Tested outbound calls only.

Worked fine in GSM only mode.
Switched it to TDMA only- system did not recognize phone as a valid number.
Call rejected.

Now what? It still sounds like I need to call Cingular when I want to switch
to TDMA.

> In <kUBld.8316$tI3.5127@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:18:08 GMT, "Alan"
> <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >Heres is what happened, maybe you can explain it to me:
> >
> >Went to store, purchased two GSM phones. Switched from GAIT plan to GSM
> >plan.
> >Took SIM out of my GAIT phone and put it in my GSM phone. Called service,
> >activated the GSM phone. Works.
>
> Your account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the phone
> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.
>
> >Wife still had other GAIT phone. Calls to this phone were not even
attempted
> >by the network. Failed instantly.
>
> Account hadn't yet been provisioned and/or SIM hadn't been updated.
>
> >Took SIM from her phone, put it in 2nd GSM phone, called service,
activated
> >this phone. Works.
>
> Her account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the phone
> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.
>
> >Next, I will try moving SIM back to one of the GAIT phones and try it in
> >various modes.
> >
> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>
> >> GSM phones are *not* activated -- it's all controlled by the SIM (and
network
> >> provisioning)!

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:59:27 AM

Of course. GSM doesn't have to be activated, but TDMA does.

In <ldRld.9569$tI3.2614@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:44:33 GMT, "Alan"
<not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:

>Okay, I moved the SIM back to my GAIT phone. Results:
>
>Tested only in my local area, so I don't know about roaming results.
>Tested outbound calls only.
>
>Worked fine in GSM only mode.
>Switched it to TDMA only- system did not recognize phone as a valid number.
>Call rejected.
>
>Now what? It still sounds like I need to call Cingular when I want to switch
>to TDMA.

>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <kUBld.8316$tI3.5127@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:18:08 GMT, "Alan"
>> <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Heres is what happened, maybe you can explain it to me:
>> >
>> >Went to store, purchased two GSM phones. Switched from GAIT plan to GSM
>> >plan.
>> >Took SIM out of my GAIT phone and put it in my GSM phone. Called service,
>> >activated the GSM phone. Works.
>>
>> Your account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the phone
>> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.
>>
>> >Wife still had other GAIT phone. Calls to this phone were not even
>attempted
>> >by the network. Failed instantly.
>>
>> Account hadn't yet been provisioned and/or SIM hadn't been updated.
>>
>> >Took SIM from her phone, put it in 2nd GSM phone, called service,
>activated
>> >this phone. Works.
>>
>> Her account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the phone
>> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.
>>
>> >Next, I will try moving SIM back to one of the GAIT phones and try it in
>> >various modes.
>> >
>> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>network
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

November 15, 2004 1:17:24 PM

Well, I guess my next (and last?) question is, can I have TDMA activated and
leave it activated so I can switch out my phones whenever I want (without
re-calling Cingular each time)? I would ask Cingular, but I suspect this is
an advanced topic for them, or a double-secret probabtion question, so I
would most likely not get the correct answer.

> Of course. GSM doesn't have to be activated, but TDMA does.
>
> In <ldRld.9569$tI3.2614@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:44:33 GMT, "Alan"
> <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >Okay, I moved the SIM back to my GAIT phone. Results:
> >
> >Tested only in my local area, so I don't know about roaming results.
> >Tested outbound calls only.
> >
> >Worked fine in GSM only mode.
> >Switched it to TDMA only- system did not recognize phone as a valid
number.
> >Call rejected.
> >
> >Now what? It still sounds like I need to call Cingular when I want to
switch
> >to TDMA.
> >
> >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> >> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >>
> >> In <kUBld.8316$tI3.5127@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:18:08 GMT,

GSM

> >> Your account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the
phone
> >> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.

> >attempted
> >>
> >> Account hadn't yet been provisioned and/or SIM hadn't been updated.

> >activated
> >>
> >> Her account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the
phone
> >> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.

> >network
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> >> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:38:02 PM

Alan & John,
Forgive the top posting but that seems to be the way this thread is going.

We seem to be going in circles. John, does the following make sense and is
it correct?
1. The GAIT phones should be activated and the account provisioned as a GAIT
account.
2. The SIM from the GAIT phone should just be moved to the GSM phone.
3. Put the SIM back in the GAIT phone when you want access to TDMA & AMPS.

I currently have GAIT phones and am considering buying a GSM phone, so I
want to know whether I understand the possilities. If the GSM phone used
with the GAIT SIM has EDGE, with that technology work, or will can the
account not be provisioned that way withe the GAIT phone as the primary
phone?

Bob

> Of course. GSM doesn't have to be activated, but TDMA does.
>
> In <ldRld.9569$tI3.2614@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:44:33 GMT, "Alan"
> <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:
>
>>Okay, I moved the SIM back to my GAIT phone. Results:
>>
>>Tested only in my local area, so I don't know about roaming results.
>>Tested outbound calls only.
>>
>>Worked fine in GSM only mode.
>>Switched it to TDMA only- system did not recognize phone as a valid
>>number.
>>Call rejected.
>>
>>Now what? It still sounds like I need to call Cingular when I want to
>>switch
>>to TDMA.
>>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>>
>>> In <kUBld.8316$tI3.5127@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:18:08 GMT,

>>> Your account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the
>>> phone
>>> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.

>>attempted
>>>
>>> Account hadn't yet been provisioned and/or SIM hadn't been updated.

>>activated
>>>
>>> Her account was provisioned, and the SIM programmed (OTA), but the phone
>>> wasn't "activated" -- there's no activation of GSM phones.

>>network
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 7:12:18 PM

In <u34md.33521$Al3.10469@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Mon, 15 Nov 2004
15:38:02 GMT, "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Alan & John,
>Forgive the top posting but that seems to be the way this thread is going.
>
>We seem to be going in circles. John, does the following make sense and is
>it correct?
>1. The GAIT phones should be activated and the account provisioned as a GAIT
>account.
>2. The SIM from the GAIT phone should just be moved to the GSM phone.
>3. Put the SIM back in the GAIT phone when you want access to TDMA & AMPS.

I believe that's correct *but* have no way of testing it!

>I currently have GAIT phones and am considering buying a GSM phone, so I
>want to know whether I understand the possilities.

Why not try your GAIT SIM in a GSM phone (in a store or borrowed)?

>If the GSM phone used
>with the GAIT SIM has EDGE, with that technology work, or will can the
>account not be provisioned that way withe the GAIT phone as the primary
>phone?

Good question.

>> Of course. GSM doesn't have to be activated, but TDMA does.
>>
>> In <ldRld.9569$tI3.2614@trndny01> on Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:44:33 GMT, "Alan"
>> <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, I moved the SIM back to my GAIT phone. Results:
>>>
>>>Tested only in my local area, so I don't know about roaming results.
>>>Tested outbound calls only.
>>>
>>>Worked fine in GSM only mode.
>>>Switched it to TDMA only- system did not recognize phone as a valid
>>>number.
>>>Call rejected.
>>>
>>>Now what? It still sounds like I need to call Cingular when I want to
>>>switch
>>>to TDMA.
>>>
>>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>>attempted

>>>activated

>>>network

>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

November 15, 2004 7:38:23 PM

> In <u34md.33521$Al3.10469@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Mon, 15 Nov 2004
> 15:38:02 GMT, "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Alan & John,
>>Forgive the top posting but that seems to be the way this thread is going.
>>
>>We seem to be going in circles. John, does the following make sense and
>>is
>>it correct?
>>1. The GAIT phones should be activated and the account provisioned as a
>>GAIT
>>account.
>>2. The SIM from the GAIT phone should just be moved to the GSM phone.
>>3. Put the SIM back in the GAIT phone when you want access to TDMA & AMPS.
>
> I believe that's correct *but* have no way of testing it!
>
>>I currently have GAIT phones and am considering buying a GSM phone, so I
>>want to know whether I understand the possilities.
>
> Why not try your GAIT SIM in a GSM phone (in a store or borrowed)?
>
>>If the GSM phone used
>>with the GAIT SIM has EDGE, with that technology work, or will can the
>>account not be provisioned that way withe the GAIT phone as the primary
>>phone?
>
> Good question.

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'll just have to get out there and do
some testing.

(I'll also start proofreading my notes before I send them. Sorry for all
they typo's in the above.)

Bob
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 6:36:35 PM

Stanley Reynolds <trash_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Ok I called CS and changed my gati plan to GSM nation got 100 more
> peek and nite/weekend went from 5K to unlimited also got unlimited
> mobile to mobile had zero before. Bill is $5 less. CS sayes no change
> in the way my phone works even if roaming and still no roaming charge.
> Well I will know in a few months if all is true. The unlimited
> nite/weekend will allow me to use the CSD data without worry I've come
> close to the 5k a few times.

Update, got a contract in the mail, they want 1 year term no new phone,
contact lists N/WE as zero not unlimited. A call to Customer service and
she say's it's a mistake this is not a "promotion" therefore no need for
new contract and yes I have unlimited nite/weekend. Asked for it in
writting as they send me a new contract and I don't agree. Hope this is not
a longterm project to straighten out.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 8:22:00 PM

"Stanley Reynolds" <trash_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >>SIM

> I use my GAIT sim in a gsm only phone back and to the Nokia 6340 no
> problems. The IME number is used for the TDMA and AMPS side which is part
> of the phone not the SIM. There is some info on the sim for TDMA and AMPS
> but the IME number is not. This is what makes a GAIT sim different. This
> difference may make the GAIT sim not work in some phones but I've tested
> Nokia 5190,8290, and Mitsubishi G310 all work in GSM mode and all are
> unlocked.

I used my gait sim in my edge card on my laptop and it seems to work fine.
Brian
November 19, 2004 3:44:55 AM

> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >
> > In <u34md.33521$Al3.10469@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Mon, 15 Nov
2004
> > 15:38:02 GMT, "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Alan & John,
> >>Forgive the top posting but that seems to be the way this thread is
going.

> >>We seem to be going in circles. John, does the following make sense and
> >>is
> >>it correct?
> >>1. The GAIT phones should be activated and the account provisioned as a
> >>GAIT
> >>account.
> >>2. The SIM from the GAIT phone should just be moved to the GSM phone.
> >>3. Put the SIM back in the GAIT phone when you want access to TDMA &
AMPS.

> > I believe that's correct *but* have no way of testing it!
> >
> >>I currently have GAIT phones and am considering buying a GSM phone, so I
> >>want to know whether I understand the possilities.
> >
> > Why not try your GAIT SIM in a GSM phone (in a store or borrowed)?
> >
> >>If the GSM phone used
> >>with the GAIT SIM has EDGE, with that technology work, or will can the
> >>account not be provisioned that way withe the GAIT phone as the primary
> >>phone?
> >
> > Good question.
> >

> Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'll just have to get out there and do
> some testing.
>
> (I'll also start proofreading my notes before I send them. Sorry for all
> they typo's in the above.)
>
> Bob

Note above that I did conduct a test and found that I could only get GSM
service in the GAIT phone. It may be a matter of a call to Cingular, but
from what they've told me in the past, I doubt it. They say you need to call
each time you want to switch. Something about preventing fraud, but i really
don't see how that helps.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 5:00:47 AM

"Alan" <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>> >
>> > In <u34md.33521$Al3.10469@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Mon, 15 Nov
> 2004

> going.

> AMPS.
>> >
>> > I believe that's correct *but* have no way of testing it!

>> > Why not try your GAIT SIM in a GSM phone (in a store or borrowed)?

>> > Good question.
>> >

>> Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'll just have to get out there and do
>> some testing.
>>
>> (I'll also start proofreading my notes before I send them. Sorry for all
>> they typo's in the above.)
>>
>> Bob
>
> Note above that I did conduct a test and found that I could only get GSM
> service in the GAIT phone. It may be a matter of a call to Cingular, but
> from what they've told me in the past, I doubt it. They say you need to
> call
> each time you want to switch. Something about preventing fraud, but i
> really
> don't see how that helps.

Alan,

I think you need to call Customer Service and have your account provisioned
correctly for the GAIT phone, so that it is fully functional. Then just
move your SIM to the GSM phone. The point is the GAIT phone needs the
special provisioning, so it won't work correctly on the "GSM plan" you
switched to. But the GSM gets all the information it needs from the SIM.
It should work just fine by simply moving the SIM from the GAIT phone.

Bob
November 19, 2004 6:18:09 AM

> "Alan" <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

> > 2004

> > going.

> > AMPS.

> >> Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'll just have to get out there and
do
> >> some testing.
> >>
> >> (I'll also start proofreading my notes before I send them. Sorry for
all
> >> they typo's in the above.)
> >>
> >> Bob
> >
> > Note above that I did conduct a test and found that I could only get GSM
> > service in the GAIT phone. It may be a matter of a call to Cingular, but
> > from what they've told me in the past, I doubt it. They say you need to
> > call
> > each time you want to switch. Something about preventing fraud, but i
> > really
> > don't see how that helps.
> >

> Alan,
>
> I think you need to call Customer Service and have your account
provisioned
> correctly for the GAIT phone, so that it is fully functional. Then just
> move your SIM to the GSM phone. The point is the GAIT phone needs the
> special provisioning, so it won't work correctly on the "GSM plan" you
> switched to. But the GSM gets all the information it needs from the SIM.
> It should work just fine by simply moving the SIM from the GAIT phone.
>
> Bob

I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks.
November 20, 2004 5:33:18 PM

"Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Alan" <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

> > 2004

> > going.

> > AMPS.

> >> Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'll just have to get out there and
do
> >> some testing.
> >>
> >> (I'll also start proofreading my notes before I send them. Sorry for
all
> >> they typo's in the above.)
> >>
> >> Bob
> >
> > Note above that I did conduct a test and found that I could only get GSM
> > service in the GAIT phone. It may be a matter of a call to Cingular, but
> > from what they've told me in the past, I doubt it. They say you need to
> > call
> > each time you want to switch. Something about preventing fraud, but i
> > really
> > don't see how that helps.
> >

> Alan,
>
> I think you need to call Customer Service and have your account
provisioned
> correctly for the GAIT phone, so that it is fully functional. Then just
> move your SIM to the GSM phone. The point is the GAIT phone needs the
> special provisioning, so it won't work correctly on the "GSM plan" you
> switched to. But the GSM gets all the information it needs from the SIM.
> It should work just fine by simply moving the SIM from the GAIT phone.
>
> Bob

I just called Cingular and reactivated my GAIT phone. Worked fine in GSM and
TDMA mode. I moved the SIM back to my GSM phone, and it works fine, too, so
I am _very_ happy. My only issue now is this: I asked the Cingular support
person if I could just move the SIM to the GSM phone without calling
Cingular (this was before I moved it back to the GSM phone). She said, not
really, beacuse since the system needs the IEMI of the phone that the SIM is
in, it could cause problems. I asked her what kind of problems and she said
"routing problems", whatever that means. Two questions: Might there be
problems, or is this just something Cingular says for their own reasons?
Might it affect roaming? Thanks
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:28:00 PM

"Alan" <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message
news:o AInd.1454$hJ6.440@trndny01...

> I just called Cingular and reactivated my GAIT phone. Worked fine in GSM
> and
> TDMA mode. I moved the SIM back to my GSM phone, and it works fine, too,
> so
> I am _very_ happy. My only issue now is this: I asked the Cingular support
> person if I could just move the SIM to the GSM phone without calling
> Cingular (this was before I moved it back to the GSM phone). She said, not
> really, beacuse since the system needs the IEMI of the phone that the SIM
> is
> in, it could cause problems. I asked her what kind of problems and she
> said
> "routing problems", whatever that means. Two questions: Might there be
> problems, or is this just something Cingular says for their own reasons?
> Might it affect roaming? Thanks

I'll have to yield to someone with more inside knowledge of the carriers and
networks than I have, but according to mseek.us, it looks as though IEMI is
used to determine whether a phone is "blacklisted" and therefore should be
"rejected" by the network, or "greylisted" and accepted but tracked. The
default seems to be"unlisted" and therefore "accepted."

"The GSM MoU's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) numbering
system is a 15 digit unqiue code that is used to identify the GSM/DCS/PCS
phone to a GSM/DCS/PCS network. When a phone is switched on, this unqiue
IMEI number is transmitted and checked against a database of blacklisted or
greylisted phones in the network's EIR (Equipment ID Register). This EIR
determines whether the phone can log onto the network to make and receive
calls. How to display a phone's IMEI number: Type *#06# on the keypad. This
code works on most phones. What effect does a listing of an IEMI number with
an EIR have? If the EIR and IMEI numbers match, the networks can do a number
of things. They can for example greylist or blacklist a phone: Greylisting
will allow the phone to be used, but it can be tracked to see who has it
(via the SIM info). Blacklisting bars the phone from being used on any
network where there is an EIR match. IEMI Example: 490154100837810 490154
Type Approval Code (TAC) The first two digits is the code for the country
apporval."

It's still a bit of a mystery but I think you're OK. I hope someone else
will chime in with more information.

Bob
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:13:39 PM

In <OAInd.1454$hJ6.440@trndny01> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:33:18 GMT, "Alan"
<not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:

>I just called Cingular and reactivated my GAIT phone. Worked fine in GSM and
>TDMA mode. I moved the SIM back to my GSM phone, and it works fine, too, so
>I am _very_ happy.

That's how it should work.

>My only issue now is this: I asked the Cingular support
>person if I could just move the SIM to the GSM phone without calling
>Cingular (this was before I moved it back to the GSM phone). She said, not
>really, beacuse since the system needs the IEMI of the phone that the SIM is
>in, it could cause problems. I asked her what kind of problems and she said
>"routing problems", whatever that means. Two questions: Might there be
>problems, or is this just something Cingular says for their own reasons?

That's nonsense -- the network doesn't really care about the IEMI of the phone
(except for greylisting* and blacklisting**). Don't expect support persons to
really understand these issues -- they don't get that kind of training.

* Greylisting will allow the phone to be used, but it can be tracked to see
who has it (via the SIM info).
** Blacklisting bars the phone from being used on any network where there is
an EIR match.

>Might it affect roaming?

No.

The potential problem is with OTA (over the air) upgrades by Cingular to the
GAIT SIM, which may not work properly when in a GSM phone, leading to
degradation of service. To work-around that, you could periodically put the
GAIT SIM in your GAIT handset and ask Customer Care to "push" GAIT updates to
you.

November 20, 2004 7:22:56 PM

> "Alan" <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message
> news:o AInd.1454$hJ6.440@trndny01...
>

> > I just called Cingular and reactivated my GAIT phone. Worked fine in GSM
> > and
> > TDMA mode. I moved the SIM back to my GSM phone, and it works fine, too,
> > so
> > I am _very_ happy. My only issue now is this: I asked the Cingular
support
> > person if I could just move the SIM to the GSM phone without calling
> > Cingular (this was before I moved it back to the GSM phone). She said,
not
> > really, beacuse since the system needs the IEMI of the phone that the
SIM
> > is
> > in, it could cause problems. I asked her what kind of problems and she
> > said
> > "routing problems", whatever that means. Two questions: Might there be
> > problems, or is this just something Cingular says for their own reasons?
> > Might it affect roaming? Thanks
> >

> I'll have to yield to someone with more inside knowledge of the carriers
and
> networks than I have, but according to mseek.us, it looks as though IEMI
is
> used to determine whether a phone is "blacklisted" and therefore should be
> "rejected" by the network, or "greylisted" and accepted but tracked. The
> default seems to be"unlisted" and therefore "accepted."
>
> "The GSM MoU's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) numbering
> system is a 15 digit unqiue code that is used to identify the GSM/DCS/PCS
> phone to a GSM/DCS/PCS network. When a phone is switched on, this unqiue
> IMEI number is transmitted and checked against a database of blacklisted
or
> greylisted phones in the network's EIR (Equipment ID Register). This EIR
> determines whether the phone can log onto the network to make and receive
> calls. How to display a phone's IMEI number: Type *#06# on the keypad.
This
> code works on most phones. What effect does a listing of an IEMI number
with
> an EIR have? If the EIR and IMEI numbers match, the networks can do a
number
> of things. They can for example greylist or blacklist a phone: Greylisting
> will allow the phone to be used, but it can be tracked to see who has it
> (via the SIM info). Blacklisting bars the phone from being used on any
> network where there is an EIR match. IEMI Example: 490154100837810 490154
> Type Approval Code (TAC) The first two digits is the code for the country
> apporval."
>
> It's still a bit of a mystery but I think you're OK. I hope someone else
> will chime in with more information.
>
> Bob

Thanks.
November 20, 2004 7:26:19 PM

> In <OAInd.1454$hJ6.440@trndny01> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:33:18 GMT, "Alan"
> <not.me@uhuh.rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >I just called Cingular and reactivated my GAIT phone. Worked fine in GSM
and
> >TDMA mode. I moved the SIM back to my GSM phone, and it works fine, too,
so
> >I am _very_ happy.
>
> That's how it should work.
>
> >My only issue now is this: I asked the Cingular support
> >person if I could just move the SIM to the GSM phone without calling
> >Cingular (this was before I moved it back to the GSM phone). She said,
not
> >really, beacuse since the system needs the IEMI of the phone that the SIM
is
> >in, it could cause problems. I asked her what kind of problems and she
said
> >"routing problems", whatever that means. Two questions: Might there be
> >problems, or is this just something Cingular says for their own reasons?
>
> That's nonsense -- the network doesn't really care about the IEMI of the
phone
> (except for greylisting* and blacklisting**). Don't expect support
persons to
> really understand these issues -- they don't get that kind of training.
>
> * Greylisting will allow the phone to be used, but it can be tracked to
see
> who has it (via the SIM info).
> ** Blacklisting bars the phone from being used on any network where there
is
> an EIR match.
>
> >Might it affect roaming?
>
> No.
>
> The potential problem is with OTA (over the air) upgrades by Cingular to
the
> GAIT SIM, which may not work properly when in a GSM phone, leading to
> degradation of service. To work-around that, you could periodically put
the
> GAIT SIM in your GAIT handset and ask Customer Care to "push" GAIT updates
> you.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

Thanks much- you have been very helpful (as usual). The SIM has been in my
GSM phone for a month now, so I'll have to do the "push" suggestion. I'll
also have to have my wife's SIM provisioned as well.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:14:04 AM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:48:22 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <jt4ld.30076$Al3.973@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004
>15:16:31 GMT, "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>>news:p pSkd.4771$_3.59830@typhoon.sonic.net...
>
>>> Won't happen -- GAIT has now outlived its purpose.
>>
>>I presume you mean its "purpose" as it relates to Cingular management.
>
>Its purpose was to facilitate GSM transition. Now that GSM overlay has been
>completed, that purpose no longer exists.
>
>>For
>>users in non-metropolitan areas it still is very useful, as my T62u is often
>>on TDMA in areas of central Texas. I even see AMPS occasionally.
>
>I agree that GAIT is still useful from a consumer standpoint. The problem is
>that it's no longer useful from the standpoint of the carrier.

Without the consumer, the carrier doesn't make money!

>>In my opion GAIT was under-utilized and under-promoted. Of course, I'm not
>>running a cellular phone company.
>
>The problem is that GAIT isn't profitable -- not enough revenue to justify all
>the costs:
>
>* Cingular wants to phase out TDMA as soon as possible to increase network
>efficiency and lower costs. AMPS will likewise be going away.
>
>* Existing GAIT handsets are no longer competitive, and new GAIT handsets
>aren't financially attractive due to higher costs.
>
>* GAIT is a big Support issue.
>
>* It's unlikely that many consumers would be willing to pay the premium price
>needed to make GAIT financially attractive to the carrier, particularly with
>both TDMA and AMPS being phased out.
>
>In other words, from the carrier standpoint, GAIT was a necessary short-term
>evil that's no longer necessary or even attractive.

When Cingular can offer GSM coverage that is as good as what their
TDMA/GAIT coverage is or was, depending on your circumstance, then
GAIT/TDMA will be ready to phase out.

Keep in mind I recently switched to GSM, although I am second-guessing
myself because I am wondering what the coverage is like in different
areas. For example, I will be doing some traveling to Las Vegas in
the next month or so and was wondering what the GSM coverage is like
there?
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:56:20 AM

Korey Smith wrote:

> Keep in mind I recently switched to GSM, although I am second-guessing
> myself because I am wondering what the coverage is like in different
> areas. For example, I will be doing some traveling to Las Vegas in
> the next month or so and was wondering what the GSM coverage is like
> there?

I switched from a grandfathered regional AT&T TDMA plan with lots of minutes
to a national GSM plan, back in November. Because I was doing some
travelling, also to Vegas. Moving to a TDMA national plan at the same
price point would have lost me a bunch of anytime minutes, plus an hour on
each end of my night time hours. The phone I ended up with (a Motorola
V180) has as good reception in bad areas as my Panasonic Duramax TDMA phone
had & better sound quality in good areas. That said, with the
AT&T/Cingular roaming agreements back then, I had GSM signal beyond where
some friends lost their T-Mobile signal, out in the desert. In town,
you'll never lose signal. Keep in mind, if you're going beyond the
immediate Las Vegas/Henderson/etc. area (or Reno), there are huge chunks of
Nevada with little or no signal.

Bill K
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:40:10 PM

I believe that Cingular is not converting TDMA to GSM. It's simply adding
to and expanding the GSM network, whereas the TDMA network is not getting
any upgrade.

"Korey Smith" <ksmith56@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:48:22 GMT, John Navas
> <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>>In <jt4ld.30076$Al3.973@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004
>>15:16:31 GMT, "Bob Walker" <rowalker.nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>>>news:p pSkd.4771$_3.59830@typhoon.sonic.net...

>>>I presume you mean its "purpose" as it relates to Cingular management.
>>
>>Its purpose was to facilitate GSM transition. Now that GSM overlay has
>>been
>>completed, that purpose no longer exists.
>>
>>>For
>>>users in non-metropolitan areas it still is very useful, as my T62u is
>>>often
>>>on TDMA in areas of central Texas. I even see AMPS occasionally.
>>
>>I agree that GAIT is still useful from a consumer standpoint. The problem
>>is
>>that it's no longer useful from the standpoint of the carrier.
>

> Without the consumer, the carrier doesn't make money!
>

>>>In my opion GAIT was under-utilized and under-promoted. Of course, I'm
>>>not
>>>running a cellular phone company.
>>
>>The problem is that GAIT isn't profitable -- not enough revenue to justify
>>all
>>the costs:
>>
>>* Cingular wants to phase out TDMA as soon as possible to increase network
>>efficiency and lower costs. AMPS will likewise be going away.
>>
>>* Existing GAIT handsets are no longer competitive, and new GAIT handsets
>>aren't financially attractive due to higher costs.
>>
>>* GAIT is a big Support issue.
>>
>>* It's unlikely that many consumers would be willing to pay the premium
>>price
>>needed to make GAIT financially attractive to the carrier, particularly
>>with
>>both TDMA and AMPS being phased out.
>>
>>In other words, from the carrier standpoint, GAIT was a necessary
>>short-term
>>evil that's no longer necessary or even attractive.
>

> When Cingular can offer GSM coverage that is as good as what their
> TDMA/GAIT coverage is or was, depending on your circumstance, then
> GAIT/TDMA will be ready to phase out.
>
> Keep in mind I recently switched to GSM, although I am second-guessing
> myself because I am wondering what the coverage is like in different
> areas. For example, I will be doing some traveling to Las Vegas in
> the next month or so and was wondering what the GSM coverage is like
> there?
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:52:25 AM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:56:20 GMT, Bill Kraski
<Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:

>Korey Smith wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind I recently switched to GSM, although I am second-guessing
>> myself because I am wondering what the coverage is like in different
>> areas. For example, I will be doing some traveling to Las Vegas in
>> the next month or so and was wondering what the GSM coverage is like
>> there?
>
>I switched from a grandfathered regional AT&T TDMA plan with lots of minutes
>to a national GSM plan, back in November. Because I was doing some
>travelling, also to Vegas. Moving to a TDMA national plan at the same
>price point would have lost me a bunch of anytime minutes, plus an hour on
>each end of my night time hours. The phone I ended up with (a Motorola
>V180) has as good reception in bad areas as my Panasonic Duramax TDMA phone
>had & better sound quality in good areas. That said, with the
>AT&T/Cingular roaming agreements back then, I had GSM signal beyond where
>some friends lost their T-Mobile signal, out in the desert. In town,
>you'll never lose signal. Keep in mind, if you're going beyond the
>immediate Las Vegas/Henderson/etc. area (or Reno), there are huge chunks of
>Nevada with little or no signal.
>
>Bill K

What would the coverage be like with a GAIT phone (TDMA/GSM) in Las
Vegas and the outer areas? Would anyone know?
!