FEAR runs slower on my new C2D than on my a64 3000 s754!

randomizer

Champion
I just built a C2D system with an e6600, x800gto, abit ab9 pro and 4gb corsair RAM (I know xp doesnt use that much). Starting up FEAR takes more than a minute to show up the info about the producers (the first screen before the sierra movie), as opposed to my old a64 3000 s754 with 1gb RAM which took around 3 seconds. Could anybody explain this, I have the latest BIOS and drivers. Any help is much appreciated.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
if you just swapped your harddrive over to your neew system you should always reinstall windows when putting your HD into a new system, if that is not the case, reinstall FEAR.

dmantech

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Maybe defrag the drive because that can cause slow downs of any sort.
AMD is more of a Gaming chip whereas Intel chip do not run games as fast, but I do not know if that the case here. I could also be the GPU try getting something faster possibly with 512MB I went from a 7800GT with 256MB to a card with 512MB on it and the difference is like night and day, becasue it does not matter how fast the CPU is it is the GPU that matters these days and maybe the GPU is trying to paly catch up with the CPU, but get another GPU
because all other specs are fine. Go through the process of elimination. I hope that helped. :wink:

jough626

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
You didn't state what settings the old and new computers were using. If the old one was running mild (4x AA and 4x AF) and the new is set to the max (8x and 16x or more) then the bottleneck could be the graphics loading. Ensure ALL settings are the same before drawing conclusions that one might be slower than the next. And check your hard drive...

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Have you checked the BIOS? Make sure your RAM timings and etc. are correct. All the new Conroes surpass the A64's, so it's not because it's an Intel. Also, check temps to see if your CPU is throttling.

And, since you are using 4 sticks of RAM (I assume??), take out 2 sticks. Then go to your performance tab and set your page file to somewhere around 300MB (as the Max and Min, since Windows will never use more than that...) If you have 2 HDD's, set the page file onto the non-OS drive.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
I just built a C2D system with an e6600, x800gto, abit ab9 pro and 4gb corsair RAM (I know xp doesnt use that much). Starting up FEAR takes more than a minute to show up the info about the producers (the first screen before the sierra movie), as opposed to my old a64 3000 s754 with 1gb RAM which took around 3 seconds. Could anybody explain this, I have the latest BIOS and drivers. Any help is much appreciated.

take out 2gb ram and run it dual channel :!:
if you are not running a 64bit OS, why would you install 4gb :roll:
and yes make sure you reinstall windows if you used it in the other computer (as mentioned above) :!:

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
dman, amd isnt necessarily more of a gaming chip. Intels core 2's seem to be holding the bar pretty high over amds head right now in terms of anything, gaming or application. Setting that aside, he should defenatly take out 2gb of ram reinstall the applications or better yet reinstall windows as was stated above several times.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
AMD is more of a Gaming chip whereas Intel chip do not run games as fast, but I do not know if that the case here.

Wrong.... the conroe chips surpass AMD chips in terms of performance in gaming (generally speaking) so thats a non-issue, especially when looking at a 3000+.

Just my opinion but...

If this problem only occurs with FEAR and not any other game I would lean toward an issue with the a software issue rather than anything else. A hardware issue should affect all games similarly (well assuming they are similar in taxing the hardware).
1. Test another game, this should show you if this is occuring in more than just FEAR.
2. if another game works fine run defrag if the first file is in 5,000 fragments it will take longer to load.
3.Try reinstalling the game
4. Reinsalll Windows :/

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

God is punishing you for building a Windows-based PC with 4 gigs of RAM.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005

my conroe brings all the boys to the yard and they're like: it's better than yours, damn right, it's better than yours, I can teach you but I am damn too shy 8)

my conroe brings all the boys to the yard and they're like: it's better than yours, damn right, it's better than yours, I can teach you but I am damn too shy 8)
LOL

randomizer

Champion
Its a new hard drive, seagate 7200rpm 250gb 7200.10. New windows installation. And I said that it was starting up the game and exiting that took a really long time, I didnt say that ingame performance was bad, so its not the video card.

The old system used an a64 3000 s754, abit kv8-max3, 9800 pro, samsung spinpoint 160gb (cant remember model number), 1gb ram. I dont think HD fragmentation would dlow it down this much, its really a ridiculous loading time, just to start the game and get to the main menu.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
We can't help you if you haven't tried all the above suggestions (unless you forgot to post that you tried them). People have said to reinstall FEAR many times already. Have you done so? Have you taken out the 2Gb of RAM yet?

Also, file fragmentation can reduce performance and should not be disregarded...

randomizer

Champion
Im trying to get patches that work for FEAR, but many are for the US version which mine isnt and so it doesnt work. I really dont want to use the ingame download because its soooo slow, but it looks like ill have to :cry: . File fragmentation is no prob since its the first game I installed on this drive, but i defragged anyway. Im leaning towards it being something to do with the game not being optimized for dual core until a later patch, since it appears to only affect FEAR, FarCry worked ok with no patches. Havent tried the RAM yet, but since FEAR is the only game affected I doubt that that is the problem (plus Im lazy and dont really want to open up my box just to take out some RAM :p ). If the patch fails I will remove 2gb RAM tho. Thanks for your input guys.

randomizer

Champion
well if you think its a dual core issue go open your boot.ini file and add this
/numproc=1

that will force the OS to only use one processor.
then play the game and see what happens. dont forget to switch it back though

As soon as I tested with the latest patch (if it works) I'll try that thanks.

randomizer

Champion
My memory is so bad, I forgot about this thread :oops: . Maybe coz I havent played FEAR for so long. Anyway I did remove the 2gig of RAM (2gb left now) and still have the same problem. What I did notice is that when exiting FEAR with the task manager open I saw that there was around 1-2% cpu usage on both cores, which is probably due to windows. So it kind of explains why the game takes so long to close, because its just not being closed! But I have no idea why. Im going to check and see if the same thing happens when I start the game.

EDIT: Yep the same thing happens when I start the game, it just sits there and then all of a sudden takes off.

EDIT2: It quits straight away when I open the task manager (ie. ctrl-alt-del) and the same thing happens when I start the game if I leave it for a few seconds first. This is really wierd.