Lian Li VS Antec

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Antec
  • Lian Li
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 7, 2006 3:44:56 AM

Ok so I got a bit of a dilemma here.... I'm stuck between an Antec p180 and Lian-Li PC201A

I worked with a P180 ad found it to be a bit cramped and a little frustrating, also some of the materials seem flimsy and prone to warping(Im a person who notices a lot of small things)

As for the Lian-Li PC201A I haven't gotten to look at one up close and really can't decide. For one, it's much bigger and costs more $260 is the lowest I can find it.

So any suggestions as to which way I should go?
Lian-Li or Antec?

More about : lian antec

September 7, 2006 8:33:07 AM

Quote:
Ok so I got a bit of a dilemma here.... I'm stuck between an Antec p180 and Lian-Li PC201A

I worked with a P180 ad found it to be a bit cramped and a little frustrating, also some of the materials seem flimsy and prone to warping(Im a person who notices a lot of small things)

As for the Lian-Li PC201A I haven't gotten to look at one up close and really can't decide. For one, it's much bigger and costs more $260 is the lowest I can find it.

So any suggestions as to which way I should go?
Lian-Li or Antec?

The issue that a small amount of people had with the front door has been resolved. Most cases you buy these days should have the revised 3 layer door. I found the P180 really easy to work on tbh :) 
September 7, 2006 2:47:28 PM

The p180(b) is probably my overall favorite case. I must be in the minority though that don't care for Lian-Li. I've never owned or used one of their cases I just never cared for their looks or design.
Related resources
September 7, 2006 3:11:31 PM

Lian Li
September 7, 2006 3:26:36 PM

I've built three PCs with Lian Li, and I find them to be second to none with regard to quality. Even the inside edges are rounded off and /or covered to avoid minor cuts. Attention to detail... Their cases are a little wider to facilitate easier builds. And they refuse to manufacturer out of mainland China, because they get better quality out of Taiwan. Lian Li doesn't just improve THEIR product; their innovations over the years have raised the state-of-the-art. No knock on Antec; they make a very good product for the price, but I prefer LL.
September 7, 2006 3:39:12 PM

Agreed. I'm using the Lian Li case in my sig - assuming I can afford them for the rest of my life, all my cases from now on will be Lian Li's. Antec is great, makes awesome cases, but they just can't match Lian Li's classic cool.
a b ) Power supply
September 7, 2006 3:40:25 PM

Aren't they two completely different classes of case, the Lian Li has 7x5-1/4 + 12x3-1/2 thats a lot of drives, which the P180 can't come close to.

Do you need that many drives? Remember that to keep a case cool you have to keep changing the air, with a big case you need more fans to do this.

I've just built a P180, having come from a Coolermaster ATCS and am very satisfied with the case, it wasn't the nightmare that some people have said it to be. It feels odd as a case, because the sides are not just steel but the three layer panels they feel 'flimsy' but no more so that most steel or alu panels. But they do deaden the sound, when you tap them they sound dead.

Figure out how big you want your case to be, it'll help in the decision.
September 7, 2006 3:59:04 PM

If you can spare the extra cash, it's Lian-Li all the way.

BTW, they do make cheaper boxes and Newegg was having a "free shipping" special a couple of days ago. I look for the free shipping specials since the transportation cost for cases can get really high.
September 7, 2006 4:01:17 PM

I own two lian-li cases, a pc-70 tower for my main and a pc-v880b for my HTPC. I will say that my wife has a Sonata, my mom has two 3700a's and my brother has a p160. The new Antec cases are awesome and have some nice sound deadening features Lian-Li hasn't incorporated as of yet (however, the s80 looks nice).

But, it's had to beat the coolness of Lian-Li.
They are simply the best case manufacturer.

Teldar
September 8, 2006 12:48:34 AM

Quote:
Lian Li

yup, if u got the cash, lian li.
September 8, 2006 6:30:25 AM

my case didnt really cost much

about 100$

:D 
September 9, 2006 5:28:31 AM

I personally can't afford to go with a Lain Li but I hear they are the best, so if you have the money then go for it. I went with a P180 with my current build and I can say it is a very nice case (if not the best in its price range). It's roomy, cool, quiet, and easy to work with.

There are a few downsides to this case though that you should be aware of. The standoffs are bolted on causing issues with certain mobos. The hooks on the side doors are flimsy plastic. The bottom mounted PSU requires one with long power cables. The fan in the lower chamber has no fan guard which can be an issue with wires (I found that using SATA cables with a 90 degree connector and wire ties helps prevent this problem). Last, the door is still flimsy but is much better than many other Antec cases that I've used.
September 9, 2006 6:09:15 AM

i have a antec 1080 so-ho case it was 230aud with 480watt true pwer 2 psu and its a great case, only thing i had to do was buy aftermarket filters
September 10, 2006 3:37:17 PM

I just put my first build together w/ Lian Li 6077. It is an older model but this case is sweet. Whole lot of room for midtower and has tons of space for expansion. Only time I cut my finger was catching the edge of my VGA. Pull out mb tray is awesome. Putting the cpu in was piece a cake.

Lian Li all the way.
September 10, 2006 4:25:34 PM

Quote:
i have a antec 1080 so-ho case it was 230aud with 480watt true pwer 2 psu and its a great case, only thing i had to do was buy aftermarket filters

I do agree that the stock filters leave a lot of room for improvement. Which aftermarket filters are you using with it? Are you satisfied with their performance?
September 10, 2006 4:35:25 PM

Well this all depends on what you need. Do you need all those HDDs and bays? If not then have you looked at the mid tower version of that case? It's cheaper, doesn't have all that extra stuff and still has Lian-Li's quality.

Personally I'd go with a Lian-Li... but other than that it's more on what you prefer.
September 11, 2006 3:21:41 AM

I like lian li.... I like quality.....but.....

Either case you will probably be happy with.
!